SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota @ UNO

bincitysioux

I love Huff's game when he is locked in mentally but we rarely see that. If he wanted to be he could be a lockdown defender. Obviously he has good hands and had the most steals in a season ever for UND but that's because he plays the passing lanes so much so that he can get an easy dunk. What I am saying is that he could have been that guy that always guards the opposing teams best player. I saw flashes of that but usually he just wanted the breakaway dunk or was slow at getting back on defense. I also really believe that he could have been a great passer here. I remember in his freshman and sophomore seasons he had some absolute dimes to our big men and some sweet no look passes but towards the end of his career here he would just run into the lane and throw a shot up and hope to get the rebound.

I hate ripping on Huff but I believe he could have been THE best player ever to come to UND if he wanted to be.

• Upvote 1

Too be honest, and not to make excuses but, ask yourself, would you want to play for coach Jones. He has to be the worst coach I've witnessed.

From what I hear, not just Huff, but tons of players checked out, and hate playing for him. I sort of get it. I don't condone not playing hard, but I get it.

It has also come to my knowledge that Huff and Jones really aren't too fond of each other.

Well, great career here at UND. I'm happy to have had you on our side versus playing against the kid. Best of luck, wherever it is you land professionally.

UNO went 5-9 in the Summit. This is not a good team. This whole team effort is embarrassing.

Gonna get skewered for this but anyone still want to claim the Summit is an especially bad conference compared to the Big Sky? I realize injuries were a big factor in the Omaha game, but North Dakota got absolutely worked by the 6th place Summit team. Stunned Bison fans haven't been over here already to point that out.

Gonna get skewered for this but anyone still want to claim the Summit is an especially bad conference compared to the Big Sky? I realize injuries were a big factor in the Omaha game, but North Dakota got absolutely worked by the 6th place Summit team. Stunned Bison fans haven't been over here already to point that out.

I'm not going to judge entire conferences based on an inconsistent UND basketball team doing what they do (losing non-conference on the road). I realize you're a hockey-only fan for UND, but you sure are quick to defend the school to the south against everything.....

NDSU got absolutely worked by the North Dakota team that got absolutely worked by the 6th place slummit team and the last place Big Sky team.

EDIT: Also, nobody is saying the slummit is an especially bad conference (talent-wise), just that the Big Sky is more competitive and a better overall conference.

• Upvote 1

I'm not going to judge entire conferences based on an inconsistent UND basketball team doing what they do (losing non-conference on the road). I realize you're a hockey-only fan for UND, but you sure are quick to defend the school to the south against everything.....

In a way he has a point. We got our asses kicked by fricking OMAHA!! They are still in transition. Its not like we lost to Wisconsin or Cal Poly, we lost to Omaha. (oh wait Cal Poly was bad weren't they?)

OOC road games: Lost to..

Cal Poly by 27 (neutral court)

Wisconsin by 18

Pacific by 17 (neutral court)

UNO by 16

Oregon by 15

Butler by 15

Bowling Green by 10

UND got schooled by Nebraska-Omaha!! How can you defend this? Nobody can.

NDSU got absolutely worked by the North Dakota team that got absolutely worked by the 6th place slummit team and the last place Big Sky team.

I have no idea whether he is a UND hockey fan. He is definitely a Bison fan in the other sports.

It just kind of irks me whenever Huff gets thrown under the bus whenever he has a bad game. He's the best player to come through here in over decade, and probably one of the best we've ever had here. Every player has limiting factors, and he is no exception. I've seen several other players on numerous occaisons on this year's team and over the course of the last four years lose their minds out there on the floor as well. I don't think we are going to be better next season because Huff, or Anderson or Webb for that matter won't be on the squad anymore.

Agree.....

The difference for the ladies this year was the huge upgrade at the guard position from the previous year. Similar to what the Men needed (and still need) on the inside. I thought every BSC team had at least one or 2 decent, blue collar big men. Guys who weren't fancy but were physically solid and worked hard at their role of rebounding, defense and basic big man-back-to-the-basket moves. Similar to what Brekke gave us....and I went into the season hoping that Calc and Salmonson could be those types of players. I was amazed at how little they brought. They both continually got out-physicalled and seemed lost on defense and boxing out. I hate to say it, but I don't think either of them are legitimate D1 big men.

If you add Traylor, Calcaterra and Salmonson's season rebounding totals together, Huff by himself had about 20 more than those 3 "bigs" combined. I know some on here like to call out Huff. He was our scoring leader, our rebounding leader and our steals leader, playing hard defense and putting his light frame up against much bigger people on the boards all year. The tragedy of this Senior class was we couldn't put a capable big man out there much of the time. It sure showed once again last night.

In a way he has a point. We got our asses kicked by fricking OMAHA!! They are still in transition. Its not like we lost to Wisconsin or Cal Poly, we lost to Omaha. (oh wait Cal Poly was bad weren't they?)

OOC road games: Lost to..

Cal Poly by 27 (neutral court)

Wisconsin by 18

Pacific by 17 (neutral court)

UNO by 16

Oregon by 15

Butler by 15

Bowling Green by 10

UND got schooled by Nebraska-Omaha!! How can you defend this? Nobody can.

So you agree the entire Big Sky should be judged by UND doing what UND has always done for the last 4 years (losing non-conference on the road)? I don't think you comprehended what he and I wrote.

Agree.....

The difference for the ladies this year was the huge upgrade at the guard position from the previous year. Similar to what the Men needed (and still need) on the inside. I thought every BSC team had at least one or 2 decent, blue collar big men. Guys who weren't fancy but were physically solid and worked hard at their role of rebounding, defense and basic big man-back-to-the-basket moves. Similar to what Brekke gave us....and I went into the season hoping that Calc and Salmonson could be those types of players. I was amazed at how little they brought. They both continually got out-physicalled and seemed lost on defense and boxing out. I hate to say it, but I don't think either of them are legitimate D1 big men.

I'd like Jones to recruit a big farm-boy of a center. I don't care if he can't handle the ball well or shoot from the outside, I just want one guy we can put in to play defense and rebound who won't be pushed around like a twig by other teams.

So you agree the entire Big Sky should be judged by UND doing what UND has always done for the last 4 years (losing non-conference on the road)? I don't think you comprehended what he and I wrote.

We lost to a transition team as the #2 team in the BSC that says something. Injuries or not we shouldn't get blown out by Omaha.

• Upvote 1

We lost to a transition team as the #2 team in the BSC that says something. Injuries or not we shouldn't get blown out by Omaha.

Here's something that I read and you can chew on: Dustin Hobaugh played 23 minutes last night (and actually looked pretty good shooting). Prior to that, he had played less than 30 minutes not counting D-II games this entire year. UND a few days prior had lost out on what they had been aiming towards the last 4 years and again only ended up in the CIT. UNO got a chance to play some extra basketball and were excited about it. We didn't have the horses last night, they were all in sitting on the bench in street clothes or playing on one good leg. They played like the wanted to be there and flat out beat the lineup UND was able to play, no point on dwelling on it anymore.

EDIT: Also, nobody is saying the slummit is an especially bad conference (talent-wise), just that the Big Sky is more competitive and a better overall conference.

Big Sky went 0-3 in the CIT

Summit is 2-0 so far in the CIT

• Upvote 1

Too be honest, and not to make excuses but, ask yourself, would you want to play for coach Jones. He has to be the worst coach I've witnessed.

From what I hear, not just Huff, but tons of players checked out, and hate playing for him. I sort of get it. I don't condone not playing hard, but I get it.

It has also come to my knowledge that Huff and Jones really aren't too fond of each other.

Well, great career here at UND. I'm happy to have had you on our side versus playing against the kid. Best of luck, wherever it is you land professionally.

So players checking out is the coaches fault? If these guys don't want to work together as a team and are just playing for themselves, how is that Jones'fault? I am pretty sure he (like most basketball coaches) stressed point every day in practive about playing team basketball. The coach can only do so much. If these guys are gonna be lazy and not do what they did in practice and do it in the game, than that is all on the players. Guess what, this is D1 college basketball. Suck it up, do your job, and do what the cooach tells you to do. He knows more than these players about the schemes and gameplans he wants to run. If you are going to check out, then I don't want you on the team anymore anyway.

Big Sky went 0-3 in the CIT

Summit is 2-0 so far in the CIT

I would argue that UND should never have been invited to or accepted an invitation from a post season tournament based upon what players were actually available to play. And I would say that after Weber St., the top few teams in the Big Sky were down, and maybe way down from past years. Both Weber and Montana were far better in 2012-13 than anybody in the Big Sky this season IMO.

So players checking out is the coaches fault? If these guys don't want to work together as a team and are just playing for themselves, how is that Jones'fault? I am pretty sure he (like most basketball coaches) stressed point every day in practive about playing team basketball. The coach can only do so much. If these guys are gonna be lazy and not do what they did in practice and do it in the game, than that is all on the players. Guess what, this is D1 college basketball. Suck it up, do your job, and do what the cooach tells you to do. He knows more than these players about the schemes and gameplans he wants to run. If you are going to check out, then I don't want you on the team anymore anyway.

It's the coaches fault as much as the players. It's the same as in any profession. If your workers aren't doing their job it's the boss's job to make sure they do their job or it's on their head. Why should the player dictate the team?

I have no idea whether he is a UND hockey fan. He is definitely a Bison fan in the other sports.

Spare me, please. Not that I need to justify myself to you, but I will anyways...grew up in SW North Dakota...dad and two sisters attended NDSU and I attended UND. As a kid, I watched the '83, '85, and '86 football championship games on TV with my dad. Also watched the snow-bowl game against UND. Cried when Troy State kicked a field goal with no time remaining to beat the Bison in the '84 championship game. Wound up in Grand Forks at college and attended more than my share of women's and men's basketball games. And boo'd the hell out of NDSU when they came to town - regardless of the sport.

Just because I'm not a total green-and-white homer doesn't make me a Bison fan. And just because I don't toe the party line that fellow comrades here spew out about the state of NDSU football and men's basketball compared with UND doesn't make me a fan of Fargo or the Bison at all. But you've got to be kidding yourself if you or others think UND men's basketball had the more successful season compared with NDSU based on one rivalry game.

• Upvote 2

I would argue that UND should never have been invited to or accepted an invitation from a post season tournament based upon what players were actually available to play. And I would say that after Weber St., the top few teams in the Big Sky were down, and maybe way down from past years. Both Weber and Montana were far better in 2012-13 than anybody in the Big Sky this season IMO.

Agree 100%.

For the record, Dagger, I did tune in to both the NDSU/IPFW and UND/Weber State games.

Spare me, please. Not that I need to justify myself to you, but I will anyways...grew up in SW North Dakota...dad and two sisters attended NDSU and I attended UND. As a kid, I watched the '83, '85, and '86 football championship games on TV with my dad. Also watched the snow-bowl game against UND. Cried when Troy State kicked a field goal with no time remaining to beat the Bison in the '84 championship game. Wound up in Grand Forks at college and attended more than my share of women's and men's basketball games. And boo'd the hell out of NDSU when they came to town - regardless of the sport.

Just because I'm not a total green-and-white homer doesn't make me a Bison fan. And just because I don't toe the party line that fellow comrades here spew out about the state of NDSU football and men's basketball compared with UND doesn't make me a fan of Fargo or the Bison at all. But you've got to be kidding yourself if you or others think UND men's basketball had the more successful season compared with NDSU based on one rivalry game.

Obviously UND had the better game vs NDSU but the better season was no doubt NDSU, a dance trip and a win over a major OOC team compared to a CIT trip and blowout losses in OOC road games.

The AC has had a good season. Much better than UND.

But UND didn't just beat them, it wasn't close. It looked like the ac didn't even belong. Hard to rationalize that away.

I hope they win it all. It would be satisfying for the UND players to know they schooled a champion.

Obviously UND had the better game vs NDSU but the better season was no doubt NDSU, a dance trip and a win over a major OOC team compared to a CIT trip and blowout losses in OOC road games.

And that's essentially the points I've been trying to make. Nobody should be happy with a 15-15 regular season finish - win over the Bison be damned.

The AC has had a good season. Much better than UND.

But UND didn't just beat them, it wasn't close. It looked like the ac didn't even belong. Hard to rationalize that away.

I hope they win it all. It would be satisfying for the UND players to know they schooled a champion.

And I'm sure that that would really be a burr in the saddle of the cow college, wouldn't it? Kinda like Michigan State being able to brag about winning the Big 10 Conference Tournament as they watch the Michigan Wolverines cut down the nets at the Final Four. :silly:

Come on - this is a fan site - lighten up - it's okay to talk about the positives - no one is saying it was a great season - there were disappointments - this team perhaps underperformed (or expectations were too high) We had a fun team to follow the past four years - including one of the best players in UND history - it's all going to change next year. However I must say that in the past there were plenty of coaches that would tell you that beating FU was one of the most important things to accomplish in a year - I can agree that with them no longer being in the same conference it has lost some of its glitter. (plus also it's not that difficult).

Opinions will probably differ in terms of whether this info has any potential bearing whatsoever on UND, but I understand USD is possibly targeting Craig Smith as its next coach.

He was on the radio with Izzo and Kolpack last weekend and they specifically asked him about USD and Smith said he would would take a hard look at that opening. He has a desire to be a head coach again.

After the interview Kolpack said he was of the opinion that Saul would be hired away after the season and Smith would be the next NDSU coach.