SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota @ UNO

bincitysioux

He was on the radio with Izzo and Kolpack last weekend and they specifically asked him about USD and Smith said he would would take a hard look at that opening. He has a desire to be a head coach again.

After the interview Kolpack said he was of the opinion that Saul would be hired away after the season and Smith would be the next NDSU coach.

Couple questions/comments. I understand that Smith would like to be a head coach again, but being hitched to Tim Miles for a few more years seems like it would be a pretty good idea professionally and financially. He's making almost as much as Phillips is at NDSU as the 3rd assistant coach (the other two make more than Phillips) and wouldn't be surprised if he saw a bump in his salary with how Nebraska did this year. Not like a mid-major job similar to USD or NDSU won't be available in the future, though I suppose if he'd like to land back in Dakotas it is tough to know when an opening will show up if he waits.

Second, is it a foregone conclusion that Phillips is moving on? I haven't seen too much media outside of Kolpack and Izzo reporting it, but they both seem convinced. They also thought Bohl was only leaving for a BCS auto-qualifying conference so I'm a little wary on their opinions. Curious what makes him more attractive than where Nagy of SDSU was sitting at this time last year, coming off back to back NCAA appearances. Saul's a very personable guy and a great quote and has had some success, but what conference would he realistically be looking at moving into?

Couple questions/comments. I understand that Smith would like to be a head coach again, but being hitched to Tim Miles for a few more years seems like it would be a pretty good idea professionally and financially. He's making almost as much as Phillips is at NDSU as the 3rd assistant coach (the other two make more than Phillips) and wouldn't be surprised if he saw a bump in his salary with how Nebraska did this year. Not like a mid-major job similar to USD or NDSU won't be available in the future, though I suppose if he'd like to land back in Dakotas it is tough to know when an opening will show up if he waits.

Second, is it a foregone conclusion that Phillips is moving on? I haven't seen too much media outside of Kolpack and Izzo reporting it, but they both seem convinced. They also thought Bohl was only leaving for a BCS auto-qualifying conference so I'm a little wary on their opinions. Curious what makes him more attractive than where Nagy of SDSU was sitting at this time last year, coming off back to back NCAA appearances. Saul's a very personable guy and a great quote and has had some success, but what conference would he realistically be looking at moving into?

Big Sky would be a step up ;):hypocrite:

And I'm sure that that would really be a burr in the saddle of the cow college, wouldn't it? Kinda like Michigan State being able to brag about winning the Big 10 Conference Tournament as they watch the Michigan Wolverines cut down the nets at the Final Four. :silly:

Michigan State is flat out better. Not sure if your scenario is a prediction or a wish?

He was on the radio with Izzo and Kolpack last weekend and they specifically asked him about USD and Smith said he would would take a hard look at that opening. He has a desire to be a head coach again.

After the interview Kolpack said he was of the opinion that Saul would be hired away after the season and Smith would be the next NDSU coach.

Yes, tonight is a bit of a job interview for him.