SiouxSports.com Forum

FROZEN FACEOFF - Sioux vs Miami Friday

AZSIOUX

But UND lost at home to CC who is a whole one spot ahead of Penn State in the PWR. Does UND's credibility go out the window?

Minnesota is having a great season. No doubt about it that on paper, and from what I've seen, they are better than anyone in the NCHC.

Wisconsin is a solid team, but I would likely put them at parity with a UND or a SCSU

Michigan is pretty good, I would put them somewhere in the UND, SCSU, UNO, WMU mix

DU and Miami are sneaky...they can blow up on occassion and steal one with a hot goalie (Brittain) and a high powered top line.

Play the games- the proof will be in the pudding

A lot of the disputes on these related topics (strength of schedule, UND's pairwise predicament) are due to the NCHC's poor performance in non-conference play and qualitative opinions on whether those results reflect the real strength of the conference's teams. There's really no arguing the math, which is based on the results of all the games played.

And that is the exact reason why the sos for NCHC is so poor. They play most of their game in conference, but with the losses by all conference teams to what turned out to be "bad to very bad" non con teams, almost all in conference games are played against teams that are weak (mathmatically). So, poor SOS

The old WCHA usually had a very good non con record, many against good teams (not counting the gopher cupcakes, although the gophers won those games and therefore didn't drag the league down with them), and that often, even usually, translated into the top 10-12 places in SOS.

While I think the NCHC conference is much better now than the ugly early season non con losses would indicate, it is what put the league where it's at, with all struggling to make the tourney, and the second team in with SCSU probably the one that gets the autobid.

Simple math trumps common sense.

But UND lost at home to CC who is a whole one spot ahead of Penn State in the PWR. Does UND's credibility go out the window?

I argued that Minnesota's strength of schedule is undeniable, but I would hope that you would admit that CC and Miami are much better teams than Penn State. You need not look further than #Maction's post that would bear that out.

MN 14 wins, WI 13 wins

SCSU 15 wins , UND 15 wins

bottom feeders Penn ST 3 wins Michigan ST 5 wins

Miami 6 wins CC 6 wins

it's not even really apples to apples with the Big 6 to NCHC more like Apples to rotten peaches

What the hell is this? Bottom line is that UND fans HEAVILY underrate the Big Ten and overrate teams like Western and CC. UW would have walked away with the NCHC title this year.

If you believe that the pairwise is always the perfect system for predicting teams abilities, then yes... but I know you are not that naive.

Also, CC was about to have their season ended and beat us in a tightly contested overtime win while we outshot, outchanced, and outplayed them heavily and Thorimbert stood on his head to stop everything. Michigan lost 4-0...I repeat 4-0. That's not the result of a goalie standing on his head, Michigan was never in the game against an obviously weaker opponent and to show it wasn't a fluke proceeded to lose to them at Yost Arena. Like I said, they're highly inconsistent at best.

I argued that Minnesota's strength of schedule is undeniable, but I would hope that you would admit that CC and Miami are much better teams than Penn State. You need not look further than #Maction's post that would bear that out.

Miami yes. But CC? Much better than Penn State? No way. They are separated by ONE SPOT in the PWR, 51 and 52. There's a reason for that. I watched Penn State all year. I watched them play Minnesota tough in 3 of the 4 meetings. They are not half as bad as you guys think.

What the hell is this? Bottom line is that UND fans HEAVILY underrate the Big Ten and overrate teams like Western and CC. UW would have walked away with the NCHC title this year.

My lord, how does anyone bother having a discussion with this Minnesota blowhard? Spends way too much time patrolling these boards responding to any negative comment involving Minnesota or the conference it is in. It's unhealthy.

Also, look at your own post pal. You have been doing the same exact thing that you accuse UND fans of doing. You are far and I mean very far from any kind of objectivity. :silly:

• Upvote 1

the Big 10 this season was extremely top heavy and will be for the forseeable future with minn,wisc and mich. minn was head and shoulders better than anyone in that league and would have walked away with the NCHC title as well if they would have been in that conference. Wis and Mich are equal with most everyone in the NCHC except CC. who cares what some computer says about Minny's strength of schedule. bottom line is they won the games they were supposed to have and won a lot of them and didn't piss games away like our favorite squad did.

The only thing I'm afraid of Wisconsin for in the NCAAs is falling asleep during the game...wow is that an awful brand of hockey

Barry Melrose's pick to win the 2013 Frozen Four...promptly taken out behind the woodshed by UMass-Lowell 6-0. They looked like the Burnsville Squirt C team out there against the River Hawks.

Miami yes. But CC? Much better than Penn State? No way. They are separated by ONE SPOT in the PWR, 51 and 52. There's a reason for that. I watched Penn State all year. I watched them play Minnesota tough in 3 of the 4 meetings. They are not half as bad as you guys think.

There is also a reason why CC finished ahead of that Miami team. Don't think Penn State has a Jaccob Slavin or Olafsson who NHL teams are high on.

The Sioux won't play as tentative as St Cloud did against Miami. The Huskies looked like a team not fond of being the #1 seed.

I wonder if SCSU had it to do over again, would they have rather lost to CC in Colorado Springs and than play CC at home first round then winning the Penrose out right.

To return to topic: keys of the game

1) UND depth - While UND does not have the top end scorers of Miami, the bulk of Miami's scoring is in the hands of a few players. Miami has just seven players in double digits for scoring. UND has fifteen players in double digits. UND has greater scoring depth but needs to hold down the Miami top end players

2) Defense - First, UND has a prolific scoring defense, one of the top in the nation. At least five of the six defensemen in the game have the ability to be playmakers and jump up into the play on odd man rushes or to carry the puck into the zone. Second, UND's defense plays better in their own zone than Miami's. If UND can control ice time in the offensive zone the Miami defense is likely to crumble and give up numerous scoring chances. If UND cannot keep Miami out of its own zone, then Miami's top end forwards might have a good day.

3) Goaltending - Gothberg has solidified the UND goaltending position, greatly reducing the number of soft goals given up. Miami goaltending is a puzzle, that may be tied to their defensive issues. McKay came into the season as a highly rated goaltender but has had a rough season. That could be a sign of poor defense, not being quite on top of his game, or a combination of the two.

4) Pattyn, Gaarder, and Rodwell - The reunification of this line might be a key for the Sioux. If this line plays at the level they did when put together at the middle of the season they could have a great NCHC tournament.

Can't. Wait. For. Friday.

I wonder if SCSU had it to do over again, would they have rather lost to CC in Colorado Springs and than play CC at home first round then winning the Penrose out right.

I wouldn't. They have a league championship under their belt and still alive. If UND loses this weekend, Miami, Western Michigan, and Denver will end up having a more successful season in my eyes. Win things along the way in trying to achieve your ultimate goal is the way I look at it.

Wisconsin would've struggled to secure home ice for the first round...... No chance they would've won the Penrose.

:lol: :lol: No way you really believe that. UW has a shot at a #1 seed and they would've struggled to get home ice in the NCHC? Wow you and everyone else here has an inflated opinion about the NCHC. This year it was a bad conference.

How is Michigan mediocre? They're ahead of UND in the pairwise and they're our third best team while UND was one win away from winning the conference. There are two teams in the Big Ten, UW and Minnesota, who are a big step above any team in the NCHC and that's why it's better.

Michigan has some big wins but they have also lost to everyone....go check out USCHO.com

:lol: :lol: No way you really believe that. UW has a shot at a #1 seed and they would've struggled to get home ice in the NCHC? Wow you and everyone else here has an inflated opinion about the NCHC. This year it was a bad conference.

Picked that comment to reply to but missed my post about Michigan's performance over the past four months? Nice.

To return to topic: keys of the game

1) UND depth - While UND does not have the top end scorers of Miami, the bulk of Miami's scoring is in the hands of a few players. Miami has just seven players in double digits for scoring. UND has fifteen players in double digits. UND has greater scoring depth but needs to hold down the Miami top end players

2) Defense - First, UND has a prolific scoring defense, one of the top in the nation. At least five of the six defensemen in the game have the ability to be playmakers and jump up into the play on odd man rushes or to carry the puck into the zone. Second, UND's defense plays better in their own zone than Miami's. If UND can control ice time in the offensive zone the Miami defense is likely to crumble and give up numerous scoring chances. If UND cannot keep Miami out of its own zone, then Miami's top end forwards might have a good day.

3) Goaltending - Gothberg has solidified the UND goaltending position, greatly reducing the number of soft goals given up. Miami goaltending is a puzzle, that may be tied to their defensive issues. McKay came into the season as a highly rated goaltender but has had a rough season. That could be a sign of poor defense, not being quite on top of his game, or a combination of the two.

4) Pattyn, Gaarder, and Rodwell - The reunification of this line might be a key for the Sioux. If this line plays at the level they did when put together at the middle of the season they could have a great NCHC tournament.

Can't. Wait. For. Friday.

I'm guessing this line will put out there against Miami's top line as much as possible being UND will have last change. Miami hasn't seen this line yet either as Hak moved Pattyn of this line right about the time they played last month.