SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

4 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Wondering if he struck up a good rapport with Rodgers and decided to follow him there, best of all worlds for the kid, being its closer to home. Next man up!

It seems likely. Marty Rodgers you SOB. We win some lose some. 

23 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Wondering if he struck up a good rapport with Rodgers and decided to follow him there, best of all worlds for the kid, being its closer to home. Next man up!

It is just a 4 hour drive from his home to SIU.  I'm sure Rodgers used that as a selling point.

8 minutes ago, Dagger said:

If Rodgers did bring the kid along to SIU I don't like that.  I don't care if it is done by coaches or not.   It should be hands off on  the kids that you recruited to the  school you were working for at the time. 

Doesn't the kid get some say in this? If he struck a rapport with a Coach, and the Coach goes elsewhere, why can't the kid do what he wants?

Coaches get to leave, but the athlete can't?

• Upvote 2

I know coaches and athletes can do what they want, but if I were Rodgers I would feel a little uncomfortable doing it.  I guess they say it is a dirty business and everyone for themselves.  I just have a problem with what is the right thing to do or the wrong thing to do.  I just get stuck on certain character things. 

I understand the perception is that the coach pulled the kid with him and that could be true. I'm only suggesting that the player may have wished to follow the coach and contacted him about going there. I guess we don't know for sure.

By the same token, the coach is paid to recruit players and then coach them. Of course, he's likely going to try to get the guys he thinks fit with his program.

Interesting that Chinn would choose to go to a school that is going through some big changes with the head coach, but it seems like there are two big factors that may have affected his decision. Location. Coaching (Rodgers). Location probably being the biggest one, to be closer to home. Certainly can't blame a kid for wanting to be closer to home. Can't blame him for wanting to play for someone whom he has developed a rapport with either.

Best of luck to the kid (unless he is playing the Sioux). Sure seemed like a classy kid to put a note out thanking UND and Bubba. As someone else said, next kid up. One player doesn't change UND's future.

• Upvote 3

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 8:51 AM, UND Fan said:

New offer:

S Christian Uthoff, 6'3", 180, Washington (Washington), IL

We had also offered a JC CB out of LA, Willie Fletcher, but he has committed to Idaho. 

Uthoff has committed to Illinois St

Agreed.  Losing chinn is another hit to und. Very talented young man.  Cannot afford anymore loses.   As you mentioned, und is very young and brings back some talent but they need to take the next step and that is to add depth!  Quality depth is an absolute must to compete and make noise in the post season.  Very proud of und football as bubba has installed the style of football we know.  

• Upvote 2

Working off what I said earlier in regards to keeping the recruiting class together, it appears Wisconsin has now offered a preferred walk-on opportunity to current UND defensive back commit Jordan Canady. 

Would be another loss to pile on top of the recent losses of CB Jeremy Chinn and OT Elijah Grady. Need to try hold this class together. 

Here's Canady's highlights; looks to have a lot of potential:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1683628/highlights/284514375/v2

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Working off what I said earlier in regards to keeping the recruiting class together, it appears Wisconsin has now offered a preferred walk-on opportunity to current UND defensive back commit Jordan Canady. 

Would be another huge loss to pile on top of the losses of CB Jeremy Chinn and OT Elijah Grady. Need to try hold this class together. 

Here's Canady's highlights; he would be a good one:

Okay, this bull crap is getting out of hand. I don't care what the reasons are, I am sick of losing kids left and right for this and that! Enough is enough! :angry:

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Okay, this bull crap is getting out of hand. I don't care what the reasons are, I am sick of losing kids left and right for this and that! Enough is enough! :angry:

It's nothing new and isn't going to stop. No one likes it but it is the nature of the beast. Hopefully the coaches have formed a good enough relationship along with getting scholarship money and FCOA to play at UND to retain him. If not, they'll move on to the next player on their list who may or may not have committed elsewhere.

Just now, jdub27 said:

It's nothing new and isn't going to stop. No one likes it but it is the nature of the beast. Hopefully the coaches have formed a good enough relationship along with getting scholarship money and FCOA to play at UND to retain him. If not, they'll move on to the next player on their list who may or may not have committed elsewhere.

It's the nature of the beast.....for us. It doesn't seem to be happening to anybody else around here. Unless we just aren't hearing about it.

9 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It's the nature of the beast.....for us. It doesn't seem to be happening to anybody else around here. Unless we just aren't hearing about it.

Then you aren't paying attention. FargoU has lost a couple this year. Don't follow the South Dakota schools too closely but guessing they see it as well. It's a trickle down effect and isn't going to change anytime soon. Tough position for the kids and hard to fault them in most cases once you look at the whole picture (money, location, competition level, etc). 

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Then you aren't paying attention. FargoU has lost a couple this year. Don't follow the South Dakota schools too closely but guessing they see it as well. It's a trickle down effect and isn't going to change anytime soon. Tough position for the kids and hard to fault them in most cases once you look at the whole picture (money, location, competition level, etc). 

The difference between FU and UND is that FU is fully stocked and on top of the world while UND is still working on pulling itself out of the "Musshole" it was in a couple of years back. Hopefully Bubba and his staff are good enough salesmen to overcome these losses.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Would be another loss to pile on top of the recent losses of CB Jeremy Chinn and OT Elijah Grady. Need to try hold this class together. 

As if Schobert wasn't enough. This time we have money on the table though.

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The difference between FU and UND is that FU is fully stocked and on top of the world while UND is still working on pulling itself out of the "Musshole" it was in a couple of years back. Hopefully Bubba and his staff are good enough salesmen to overcome these losses.

Losses? The kid hasn't accepted their walk on offer.

36 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I wonder if there is any relation to former Sioux Hockey player Brian Canady?