SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana @ UND

NODAK13

I'm glad so many of you are enjoying the win? Good grief, even when we win...its not good enough. You must all be delights to be around. I could see you win the lottery but find something wrong with it. When I was at the game, I turned to my seat neighbor and said you watch, people will be upset about slowing it down at the end, but if they played fast at the end and didnt use the clock and ended up taking a bad shot, people would be complaining then as well. I guess life is pretty easy when you can have both sides of the argument. Antwi, has earned his time. The thing I've noticed with him since he's been here before his ability to hit a shot is that he is first a strong and quick on ball defender. Webb had some tough turnovers today, no getting around it, but he was in there because he is strong enough to battle Jamar, grab a rebound and he also had 2 blocks. Steffan and Schuler were in for the ability to hit a foul shot, they just didn't have the ball when Montana fouled. Rare is a game going to be perfect with this bunch...I'm surprised after four years that it surprises anyone. Its a very simple formula when this team wins, and it has nothing to do with our offense, who is scoring, or we play against the zone. It's all about whether we hold a team under 70 points- if we defend and hold a team under 70, this team always has a good chance to win.

I think somebody mentioned in the Idaho State thread that Nash should never play when a team zones us. But I guess people's memories are short because he scored 21 against that same ISU zone when they played in GF and he had most of his baskets today when??? That's right, when Montana was in a zone.

Also we didn't beat this D today because we could shoot- we were just 2 of 12 from 3, but because we kept attcking the basket whether Montana was a zone or man.

• Upvote 3

Man this team is so deep with talent. If we had almost any other coach in the Big Sky I think we would be challenging Weber for the 1 spot.

Agreed, I thought a few years ago that Jones was doing well, but when you have talent like this team does, and struggle the way this team does, its time for a coaching change. I don't like to be the guy to immediately place blame there, but this is a deep team, and there time is NOW to make a statement. If he wants to save his job and this team, he needs to really motivate them going into the Big Sky Tourney. Maybe get Hak in the locker room to tell how to make a late season run?!?!

The difference for Nash yesterday in the zone was he played the 5 and was not outside at the 4. We got him the ball down low where all he had to do was turn and make a move to score. As mentioned before Nash should play the 5 with Traylor. Also agree above that Jones tried to blow this game with his substitution especially in the 2nd half and why he hasn't subbed much at all in the 2nd half after the 14 minute mark. Those players should not try to go the final 14 minutes with just as much talent on the bench, they need rest. Webb made many mistakes down the stretch and Antwi fouled a guy before the inbounds which led to 2 points and no time ran off the clock, huge mistakes. If any other player turned the ball over as much as Webb did in the end they would have been benched immediately, heck we had 3 point guards in the offense he should have had someone that is smart with the ball like Stefen or Schuler. Jones just plain and simple had the wrong players in the game during key spots in the game and was fortunate to win this one. Granted it was a great win but every attempt from our coaches to lose it happened. I almost guarantee you he will not adjust in the next zone to play Nash at the 5 since he scored 17 points in the first half at the 5 and hardly scored the 2nd half at the 4. He does not see whats going on and make the necessary adjustments.

I'm glad so many of you are enjoying the win? Good grief, even when we win...its not good enough. You must all be delights to be around. I could see you win the lottery but find something wrong with it. When I was at the game, I turned to my seat neighbor and said you watch, people will be upset about slowing it down at the end, but if they played fast at the end and didnt use the clock and ended up taking a bad shot, people would be complaining then as well. I guess life is pretty easy when you can have both sides of the argument. Antwi, has earned his time. The thing I've noticed with him since he's been here before his ability to hit a shot is that he is first a strong and quick on ball defender. Webb had some tough turnovers today, no getting around it, but he was in there because he is strong enough to battle Jamar, grab a rebound and he also had 2 blocks. Steffan and Schuler were in for the ability to hit a foul shot, they just didn't have the ball when Montana fouled. Rare is a game going to be perfect with this bunch...I'm surprised after four years that it surprises anyone. Its a very simple formula when this team wins, and it has nothing to do with our offense, who is scoring, or we play against the zone. It's all about whether we hold a team under 70 points- if we defend and hold a team under 70, this team always has a good chance to win.

I think somebody mentioned in the Idaho State thread that Nash should never play when a team zones us. But I guess people's memories are short because he scored 21 against that same ISU zone when they played in GF and he had most of his baskets today when??? That's right, when Montana was in a zone.

Also we didn't beat this D today because we could shoot- we were just 2 of 12 from 3, but because we kept attcking the basket whether Montana was a zone or man.

It was a good win but dont you agree the coaches almost blew this one. Also, no way Antwi and Nash are better defenders than Stefen and Schuler. Both these play straight up and always move over and stop other players all the time. They are constantly guarding their guy and others if you really watch. Antwi fouled a guy before an inbounds which is totally stupid with no time running off. Nash played great against the zone but like mentioned above that came from the 5 spot. The rotation pulling 3 guys out and 3 in at the end with who they were doing it with made no since cause they scored every time on a drive at the end and if they missed the guys we had in could not shoot a free throw once they got the rebound. Just didn't make since to me at all. The complaint is the rotations make no sense.

No one on our team can guard the 5 on the other team. At least with Nash and Traylor only at the 5 you get offense to off set what is given up on defense.

I think Traylor has done the best job so far, being more than adequate but he still need to work on moving his feet more and quit picking up so many fouls. MSU did a good job showing how to beat UND when they go with Nash at the 5. I agree its UND's best line-up on the offensive side, but if the opposing team sets up a half-court offense against them and pounds it down low, UND is going to struggle.

You raise some valid points - However, I think if you had your way Muss would still be in charge of the football program.

Actually it was time for Muss to go. I'm just pointing out that I know a few people in life who take more pleasure in difficult moments because it allows them to piss and moan. They actually prefer being that way. It appears there are an fair percentage of posters here cut from the same cloth. But thats fine I guess, different strokes for different folks, but thats the great thing about this forum it allows for many to never be satisfied about anything here, but the forum also provides me with a place describe the absurdity of it all, for those who take that stance. It just amazes me that no matter what these student athletes do, and coaches, there can do nothing right in the eyes of some... And for that "some"they prefer it that way.

Jones did his best to lose this game. First we had a 10 point lead in the first half and Montana went into a zone and we had the wrong players and Jones

did not make the changes for the zone and our lead went from 10 to losing by 4. We put in our shooters and team players and they regained the lead to 6. Then in the 2nd half he did not sub after the 12-13 minute mark like he has done the past 3-4 games and left those 5 in and slowly the lead slipped away once again. Why he does not have our best defenders and free throw shooters in at least the last 4-5 minutes blows me away. He has Antwi, Nash and Webb in for defense and puts Stefen and Schuler in to just input the ball in the last 2 minutes. Schuler and Stefen are much better defenders and FT shooters than Antwi, Webb and Nash but they are in for defense and Schuler and Stefen only to inbound the ball. Jones rotation in these games makes absolutely no sense and who is playing when. You cant continue to have the same 5 guys in the final 12-13 minutes and expect them to have the energy to play.

The one I'm scraching my head over is Nash - the guy has 17 points in the first half, eats em up on the inside and leads a run that puts us back in the lead - then Nash sits on the bench for the first 10 minutes of the second half and ends up with 19 for the game - totally took him out of the flow of the game - the guy was unstoppable in first half and working on a career night (I admit I don't know anything about player management).

The one I'm scraching my head over is Nash - the guy has 17 points in the first half, eats em up on the inside and leads a run that puts us back in the lead - then Nash sits on the bench for the first 10 minutes of the second half and ends up with 19 for the game - totally took him out of the flow of the game - the guy was unstoppable in first half and working on a career night (I admit I don't know anything about player management).

Did you notice how loud the crowd cheered when they finally brought Nash in for the 2nd half? It was definately a slap towards Jones for leaving him on the bench for almost the first 8 minutes. The assistants should step in cause I think Jones gets wrapped up in something and does not sub correctly anymore and especially when opponents changes their defense or lineups. We don't need 3 point guards in the lineup at the same time especially when they are the ones turning the ball over the most and generally can't shoot from the outside.

Did you notice how loud the crowd cheered when they finally brought Nash in for the 2nd half? It was definately a slap towards Jones for leaving him on the bench for almost the first 8 minutes. The assistants should step in cause I think Jones gets wrapped up in something and does not sub correctly anymore and especially when opponents changes their defense or lineups. We don't need 3 point guards in the lineup at the same time especially when they are the ones turning the ball over the most and generally can't shoot from the outside.

Which of our point guards can't shoot from the outside?

Which of our point guards can't shoot from the outside?

I don't consider Webb a good shooter primarily because of his form and his horrible FT percentage and also Hooker needs work on his form cause his ball rotates sideways. Anderson is a great outside shooter as we have all witnessed. Let me ask you a question, do you think we need 3 points guards in the lineup at the same time with all of them at maybe 6' and shorter. Don't believe the heights listed in the programs.

Was at the game, and it was a fun game to be at. Nice to get the win, it was surely needed, and I'm positive about the fact they held on for the win in a critical game.

Having said that, this game was a perfect example of what I've described as the schizophrenic nature of this team. Up 10 in the first, then allow the Griz to go on 16-1 run, then build a double digit lead again, and have to hang on for the 5 point win. I never really got the feeling that the game was in hand until there was well under 1 minute left.

That's where the frustration sets in for me. This is supposed to be the best team of the DI era, and we were beaten handily once on the road, and "sneaked out" a win at home against a Griz team that is no where near as good as they were the previous two seasons.

But, hopefully what has happened in the past will continue this year, in that Jones will have these guys getting better as we close in on March.

I don't consider Webb a good shooter primarily because of his form and his horrible FT percentage and also Hooker needs work on his form cause his ball rotates sideways. Anderson is a great outside shooter as we have all witnessed. Let me ask you a question, do you think we need 3 points guards in the lineup at the same time with all of them at maybe 6' and shorter. Don't believe the heights listed in the programs.

I agree Webb is not a good shooter and I always cringe when he starts to take a 3 but the thing is with Webb he seems to always hit a 3 and a clutch moment. Hooker has really improved his 3 pt shot by just gaining confidence throughout the season. Personally I like that smaller lineup with the 3 guards in. I believe they were all on the court during the MSU game when we made a run and started to come back.

Sure, why not. I don't have a problem with it. Webb, is shooting a better percentage from 3 than Schuler is. Form or not, all I care about is if it's going in and continues to do so. And even if Webb isn't a shooter as you say, we can have Anderson with him on the floor who is more than capable, and Huff has got to be on the floor because he can score inside and out and he rebounds. And Webb often is called upon to guard the best or hot player, and even if Webb doesn't always get the stop because it is after all the other teams best player, you better believe that player is having to work thier tail off for the points they get.

I certainly don't like our substitution patterns either but in fairness to Jones on this one....Nash had a great first half scoring a foot from the rim and when he put him out there in the 2nd half he seemed to be pretty disinterested in or allergic to the paint for some reason....he isn't much of an asset 22 feet from the rim.

I certainly don't like our substitution patterns either but in fairness to Jones on this one....Nash had a great first half scoring a foot from the rim and when he put him out there in the 2nd half he seemed to be pretty disinterested in or allergic to the paint for some reason....he isn't much of an asset 22 feet from the rim.

This

Plus he's not going to be on the floor in the final five minutes of a game because, teams will just foul him and send him to the line- which we all know has been a challenge for him this year.