SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. UNO - Friday

AZSIOUX

Agreed. I honestly think the boys will come out hungry tonight. I think the first and second lines will do some damage tonight. That uno goalie is terrible, we need to light him up early.

Still confused on the pp issues....they are so bad at actually setting the puck up.

Can't remember when I've seen a power play that can't even get the puck in the zone. This is high level college hockey, for crap's sake.

Can't remember when I've seen a power play that can't even get the puck in the zone. This is high level college hockey, for crap's sake.

Carry the frickin' puck in more!!!

This slinging it around the boards garbage has had minimal success so far this season. Last night was a complete joke.

• Upvote 1

Agreed. I honestly think the boys will come out hungry tonight. I think the first and second lines will do some damage tonight. That uno goalie is terrible, we need to light him up early.

Still confused on the pp issues....they are so bad at actually setting the puck up.

The first couple power plays were pretty bad. But, they also had a beautiful set-up; Johnson just absolutely fanned on it.

Carry the frickin' puck in more!!!

This slinging it around the boards garbage has had minimal success so far this season. Last night was a complete joke.

I 'kind of' agree with this.

This is the way I'm seeing it;

Per usual when comparing a team's play between good games and not as good games there are a few things that one can point to as the reason(s). While that is the case when I look at the Sioux's play last night and compare it to, let's say, last Friday in Denver, there is one thing that really stands out from my vantage point and that is puck movement. Specifically, puck movement in the offensive zone, down low, along the boards. So I'm talking about forwards, I'm talking about cycling and passes and chips to gain the zone. In games when the Sioux are really dominating they are doing this well. in games they are struggling in they are not.

Allow me to clarify a bit more,

When the forwards do a great job in this area you see them putting the puck in the holes where their support will get to the puck first. It's seeing space or geometry or what ever you want to call it. In the games where we are dominating we are doing this at a very high level. Tons of hockey IQ to enjoy as a fan. Often times my experience lately is that I didn't even see that angle and I get all in awe at the pass or chip.

Now last night it was not so much that way. I saw over and over again the player either whip the puck right through the "good area" and around to the defensemen's "good area"-so to speak or the player would try a low probability move, chip or pass in lieu of getting it to a good spot. Bottom line is they were not moving the puck to the good spots..

The difference in doing this or not, in my opinion, is everything. That is a bit rhetorical to say but I say it never the less. Moving the puck intelligently allows the dump to work, it allows the power play to work , It GETS THE PUCK BACK TO THE DEFENSEMEN.. Anyone notice how infrequently our defensemen had possession in the zone last night? I can't hardly remember a D to D pass in the zone the whole night.

It's not that hard of a thing to do and with the puck battle advantage our players absolutely have it is a very effective element toward offensive posseseion.

If the Sioux can keep a good focus on this down low high quality puck movement I think they will succeed. I've been saying it for a while and I'll say it again, I think this team has the potential to be one of the best teams to take the ice in the new Ralph.

Brad made a good point in his recap about the stretch where UNO took it to UND. After Gaarder got tossed the game took on a different landscape. Still thought Rodwell played well, but just didn't see the same from Pattyn. Thats an extremely important line for UND, and hopefully they stay in tact for sixty minutes tonight.

Changes tonight.....

Thompson in for Mattson (won't ever happen)

Panzarella in for Murphy (likely)

Hopefully the same goalie for UND shows up. And the inconsistent freshman(s) that UNO is dealing with as well.

Brad made a good point in his recap about the stretch where UNO took it to UND. After Gaarder got tossed the game took on a different landscape. Still thought Rodwell played well, but just didn't see the same from Pattyn. Thats an extremely important line for UND, and hopefully they stay in tact for sixty minutes tonight.

Changes tonight.....

Thompson in for Mattson (won't ever happen)

I had Mattson as one of the leaders in mistakes last night. Not that he was an outlier by any means and also not like the team was making that many mistakes but I did see him make a couple. Thompson has looked pretty darn good when he has played too. So that is a tough one I think.

I do like Mattson overall. Especially when he skates with the puck.

I had Mattson as one of the leaders in mistakes last night. Not that he was an outlier by any means and also not like the team was making that many mistakes but I did see him make a couple. Thompson has looked pretty darn good when he has played too. So that is a tough one I think.

I do like Mattson overall. Especially when he skates with the puck.

Thompson in tonight/

I've been saying it for a while and I'll say it again, I think this team has the potential to be one of the best teams to take the ice in the new Ralph.

Let's see...bipolar goaltending, severely offensively challenged, regular defensive lapses and misplays in front of our own net, a PP that would struggle to score vs the WFHS girls team and physical let downs for a minimum of 10-15 minutes nightly...other than that the ceiling is as high as ANY team to skate in the new Ralph. ;)

• Upvote 1