SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring time for Bubba and UND

geaux_sioux

There will be a minimum of 30 additional players joining the team next year. That probably makes up nearly 1/3 of our available scholorships. The players have had 14 practices to adjust to new schemes and coaching. The coaches have had 14 practices to evaluate the current talent and find the offense/defense that will best work with the talent we have. Yesterday was about what I expected and trying to judge the outcome of next season based on what was on the field yesterday would be very difficult to do.

• Upvote 3

I didn't watch the game unfortunately but I've talked a few that did and both agreed there was no flash to our play. This is disappointing as I really thought a change in attitude would be very obvious. If we are as bad as last year, or even worse, then it's going to be a very long road to improvement. I still have little faith in this last recruiting class so I'm not looking for any help from them in the near future and it sounded like Mollberg didn't show any improvement over last year.

All I know is if we don't get something going soon, the death spiral will continue and we will be completely eclipsed by the other Dakota programs. Anything less than 6-6 would totally suck.

Did you think they were going to turn it around in 2 months of off-season conditioning? The new staff lost 10+ players (most actually played) and are going to lose/cut more in the next few weeks.

I tried to say that the cupboard was bare a few months ago and got ridiculed by somebody. The cupboard is as close to bare as it gets. This thing is going to get worse before it gets better, there aren't any Valpo's on the schedule to get them a win. Last year they beat Valpo, Idaho State, and UNC, the three WORST teams on the schedule.

If they get 4 wins next year they will be overachieving and the coaching staff should be commended. It's just the truth. The fact is the previous staff left the roster in shambles from the defensive line to the offensive line to the cornerbacks. There is hardly a position that is solidified with FCS players.

End rant.

• Upvote 2

Did you think they were going to turn it around in 2 months of off-season conditioning? The new staff lost 10+ players (most actually played) and are going to lose/cut more in the next few weeks.

I tried to say that the cupboard was bare a few months ago and got ridiculed by somebody. The cupboard is as close to bare as it gets. This thing is going to get worse before it gets better, there aren't any Valpo's on the schedule to get them a win. Last year they beat Valpo, Idaho State, and UNC, the three WORST teams on the schedule.

If they get 4 wins next year they will be overachieving and the coaching staff should be commended. It's just the truth. The fact is the previous staff left the roster in shambles from the defensive line to the offensive line to the cornerbacks. There is hardly a position that is solidified with FCS players.

End rant.

You are exactly right UND-1
  • Upvote 1

I didn't watch the game unfortunately but I've talked a few that did and both agreed there was no flash to our play. This is disappointing as I really thought a change in attitude would be very obvious. If we are as bad as last year, or even worse, then it's going to be a very long road to improvement. I still have little faith in this last recruiting class so I'm not looking for any help from them in the near future and it sounded like Mollberg didn't show any improvement over last year.

All I know is if we don't get something going soon, the death spiral will continue and we will be completely eclipsed by the other Dakota programs. Anything less than 6-6 would totally suck.

Mollberg was 3-4 and the 4th was a perfect sideline pass for a first down on 3rd and 13 that was dropped by the receiver. His fifth pass was another completion that was blown dead by an early whistle. Bartels also had an early whistle cost him a completion. I was told Mollberg threw only one pick in spring ball on his last pass Friday. Not sure who told you he hasn't improved. Spring fb isn't for flash and neither was the scrimmage. The defense has improved. They tackled better, and the def backs played good position fb. They didn't let anyone behind them which was a big weakness the last couple of years. Off line still needs work. I don't think Mussman valued the hs kid with big frame and quick feet that needed to gain 40 lbs as much as the 6'5" 290 lb hs kid than can be dominant cuz of size but doesn't have the size to dominate at this level without quick feet. Running backs ran hard. Didn't see breakaway speed but they weren't getting tackled by one arm by defender laying on the ground. Didn't complete any deep passes. Bartels had good zip on TD pass but missed his only pass downfield. He looked stronger than last fall. They threw to TE's more Sat than all of last year. TE's need to get stronger. WR's only dropped the Mollberg pass. I walked away thinking these guys have improved on defense and we still have work to do on both sides but mostly O-line and we lack depth on line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Lots of outside LB's. Too soon to judge other than there is progress. We know what we had last year and what we lost. The guys that are here I believe have improved.

• Upvote 3

I am no remarkable football mind but I think things are quiet because there really wasn't much we could learn from a controlled scrimmage with low numbers.

Up to 30 guys will be joining the team come fall with all of them having a chance to play if they earn it. Knowing that I believe the team will look a lot different and I personally have no idea what to expect.

• Upvote 4

It's spring football - it's a chance for the second and third string to show improvement and get noticed, a chance to work on fundamentals, to implement new strategies and schemes. Many players actually sit out some or all of it for a variety of reasons, injuries, class schedule etc.

• Upvote 2

I don't take to much stock in a spring game. CMSioux is right it's a chance for the newbees to get in the game and show what they have. What happens over the summer and fall will decide the fate of this team not a controlled play game in April. Muss dug this team in a huge hole and Bubba is doing his best to start to pull this team out. 4 months until San Jose State!!

Your AP All-American Cooper Kupp sure had a productive day last year vs UND's worst defense in the history of defenses. 9 whole yards on 2 receptions. Yeah....he's good.

I stand corrected oh wise one, he is the worst receiver to have ever played college football! SMH

I stand corrected oh wise one, he is the worst receiver to have ever played college football! SMH

I thought we just went over another FU fan saying that numbers was the best way to prove who was better? All the double standards have me confused as well.

Production is all that matters

*For the record, Kupp is really good. But his worst game of the year came against UND. 2 catches tied for his lowest of the year and his second lowest yards in a game was 65. He also scored a TD in every single game except for the semi-finals.

Not sure if that was just a spring game wrinkle or what. He sure looked the part and given our need for wideouts, it might be just the spot for him. He looked very athletic, having not seen him play in H.S.

I think they are just trying to find a spot for him because QB wasn't working out. He has to sit out a year anyway because of his transfer.

Can you further explain some of these rumors?

I can't give you specific names, but scholarships are being modified which I guess is an indirect way to have kids leave. I am not surprised. Bubba is going to shape the team based on hard work, accountability, and attitude. Some of those characteristics definitely weren't displayed by some of Mussman's boys. I'm sure names will start to surface soon.

I can't give you specific names, but scholarships are being modified which I guess is an indirect way to have kids leave. I am not surprised. Bubba is going to shape the team based on hard work, accountability, and attitude. Some of those characteristics definitely weren't displayed by some of Mussman's boys. I'm sure names will start to surface soon.

Obviously whatever was being done by Mussman was not working - that includes the players he recruited. Many of the players Mussman recruited were not held to high standards, and as a result, the team suffered.

Overall, in my opinion, the general expectations of the program dropped with Mussman at the helm. To him, it was expected and ultimately okay to go .500 every season.

As a mentor of mine once said, "If you think you're wrong, or you think you're right, you're probably right." In other words, have confidence!

Mussman's teams did not EXPECT to win conference championships, and subsequently, did not put in the work. Attitude and confidence are definitely at the top of the list when it comes to things Bubba can improve upon.

Of course, there are talent discrepancies that need to be addressed from the last few years too.

It kind of makes you wonder if guys like Jameer Jackson would have been let go if they hadn't chose to leave.

I have heard of a few players that have been cut. Also there was a player suspended just prior to spring ball and not sure if he will return. I would expect there may be scholarship changes but haven't heard about any. I have also heard of a few position changes. All this is IMO is encouraging. It means that this coaching staff is evaluating and making changes they feel are best for the players, team and program.

• Upvote 2

From what I've heard from some of the players, here's the list of players known to be leaving/transferring as of today:

Kurt Palandech

Rashad Williams

PJ Sparks

Hunter Wharton

DJ Beard

Taj Rich

Zack Selland

Tanner Vesladahl

Nick Schmitz.

Apparently all players were having individual meetings with Bubba to go over scholarships and expectations. Alot of complaints from the guys about lack of teamwork and bad locker room atmosphere. Apparently someone's even been stealing money out of players lockers for months.