SiouxSports.com Forum

Hammerisms

sprig

I'm warm to Hammy now. He may be a rube but he is bending over backwards to be "our" rube. I appreciate that. I think he is mountains better than last as well.

You mean Hammer right? Because Hammy is the clown from the Gopher fan base.

Edited by Goon

I'm warm to Hammy now. He may be a rube but he is bending over backwards to be "our" rube. I appreciate that. I think he is mountains better than last as well.

That's how I feel. At first, I was offended by his lack of hockey knowledge, and I missed the old crew. But he is enthusiastic, and those gaffs are so oddly boneheaded they are kind of endearing. And I have a feeling they will keep on coming.

• Upvote 1

I do. Didn't realize that the nickname was taken. It was supposed to be an allusion to him giving everyone a nickname

I didn't mean to offend you if I did... I was just wondering. I hope that clears it up. I like Hammer, Hammy I do not.

Back to Hammer...I am also a little weary of the phrase

"..it caroms off the boards".

Can't it bounce? Rebound? Bank? Angle? Skitter? Maybe even reflect or deflect? Must it always carom? I'm not saying carom is wrong...but pucks bounce off boards all night long and if carom were the drinking game trigger it could get ugly up on the 4th floor of West hall by the start of period 3.

Cleared but not out...

I'm sorry but if the puck is cleared isn't it out of the zone?

Mark Mac'Million'

Rocky Grimaldo

Danny Wristo

all were favorites from last year...that and repeating 'Kober' over and over...

Looks like we'll need a separate "mis-pronounced" names and " crazy sayings" T shirts. The list for both could get extremely long in a few years

Watching replay of Fridays game. Hammer and "Kober" are completely flumoxed by the no goal call on NMU. You can clearly hear Darren Looker say "No goal,defensive player impairing the goalies vision IN THE CREASE." They go on and on how they can't understand why it's not a goal. Also heard "Nick Matson- ND "defendman","Tambelino",

• Upvote 1

Yeah...why do they do that? I suppose it's easier than saying 'clearing attempt held in by the D'....

They say both all the time. Sometimes they say cleared but by the time they get it out it was held in. Other times they are saying something else or it happens so fast they do not get a chance to say cleared so they say clearing attempt.

"Cleared but not out" is a line you hear not only from Hammer, but from announcers all over, including the NHL. The puck can be cleared (i.e. from the front of the net) but not out of the zone. That one used to get me, but you hear it all the time so I'm used to it by now.

• Upvote 3

"Cleared but not out" is a line you hear not only from Hammer, but from announcers all over, including the NHL. The puck can be cleared (i.e. from the front of the net) but not out of the zone. That one used to get me, but you hear it all the time so I'm used to it by now.

I've thought about this oen too, and it no longer bugs me. If you think about it, the announcer needs to describe the action in the fewest words possible. "Cleared but not out" describes that a defender tried to throw the puck out of the zone, but was not successful. It's important to describe that because a clearing attempt is much different than an attempt to carry the puck out of the zone. So while I agree the "cleared but not out" is a little bit....off....I think it's descriptive of the action and I understand it's use. In a sense, it's repurposing the use of "cleared" for this specific situation.. Perhaps they could say "clearing attempt not out" but again that takes a bit more to say when there is fast action to describe.

Just my thoughts on that one. Personally those types of things don't bother me as much as clear mispronounciations that persist throughout the game or even game after game. That's the base line I would expect a professional to be able to achieve.

Watching replay of Fridays game. Hammer and "Kober" are completely flumoxed by the no goal call on NMU. You can clearly hear Darren Looker say "No goal,defensive player impairing the goalies vision IN THE CREASE." They go on and on how they can't understand why it's not a goal. Also heard "Nick Matson- ND "defendman","Tambelino",

So was everyone else. Your point?

So was everyone else. Your point?

I was confused because I'm not familiar with many of the rules in college hockey. I didn't know you couldn't obstruct a goalies view while in the crease. I know you can't physically obstruct him to create a goal.

Reallistically though, as paid professionals they should be more familiar with the rule book.