SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Bowling Green

UNDsportsFANATIC

So on the basis of UND beating SU by 18, shouldn't UND be able to go into South Bend and roll the Irish? Surely, you jest...

I get a kick out of fans here not giving SU some credit. Some folks apparently think they're on par with Dickinson or Minot State. Of course, I read the same thing after the Kansas State/NDSU football game too.

I never said anything about not giving NDSU credit. I also never said UND would roll the Irish . I just don't believe Notre Dame would beat UND by 25 based on all the games that have been played this year. Some games against very good teams. The bottom line UND needs to play better on the road. I think we can all agree on that. I don't believe anyone is suggesting Notre Dame is on a par with Dickinson.

I have said before the NDSU win over the Badgers in Madison was a signature win for them. But beating the Irish just isn't quite at the same level.

And I agree that beating WI a few years ago was a bigger accomplishment than beating Notre Dame yesterday. it's still a nice notch in NDSU's belt.

However...

Notre Dame: 31 NCAA tournament apprarances

Wisconsin: 19

Notre Dame: 1 Final Four

Wisconsin: 2

After winning the 1941 title (save for a 1947 tourney appearance), Wisconsin would go thru almost 50 years of basketball irrelevace.

Had UND beaten Wisconsin this year, folks on SiouxSports.com would demand a new wing be installed at the Betty to honor the feat of the greatest win in school history.

• Upvote 2

And I agree that beating WI a few years ago was a bigger accomplishment than beating Notre Dame yesterday. it's still a nice notch in NDSU's belt.

However...

Notre Dame: 31 NCAA tournament apprarances

Wisconsin: 19

Notre Dame: 1 Final Four

Wisconsin: 2

After winning the 1941 title, Wisconsin would go thru almost 50 years of basketball irrelevace.

Had UND beaten Wisconsin this year, folks on SiouxSports.com would demand a new wing be installed at the Betty to honor the feat of the greatest win in school history.

I agree with this.

I never said anything about not giving NDSU credit. I also never said UND would roll the Irish . I just don't believe Notre Dame would beat UND by 25 based on all the games that have been played this year. Some games against very good teams. The bottom line UND needs to play better on the road. I think we can all agree on that. I don't believe anyone is suggesting Notre Dame is on a par with Dickinson.

And my post never personally mentioned your moniker, did it?

Comparing Notre Dame basketball to Kansas football is just silly. Notre Dame is consistently a good basketball team. They don't lose at home much, they make the tourney on a regular basis. I don't know if Notre Dame is any good this year....but to compare beating them in basketball to beating Kansas in football....woof.

Is there any tangible reason UND plays awful on the road vs. at home?

I am saying because you beat KU in football doesn't mean you could take down the big dogs of the Big 12 (back then) and just because you beat a crappy ND team (only 2 wins vs teams with a winning record) doesn't mean you could take down the top dogs of the ACC no matter what dribble (no pun intended) you hear on BV. Sorry but Duke would kill you guys.

UND definitely needs to play better on the road. No doubt. Unfortunately the reality is maybe these teams we are losing to are better than we are. This group of guys has never have proved that they are consistent on the road. It just would be nice to win some of the games on the road that we definitely should have a legitimate chance to win. The post area is such a weakness for us right now.

Still the best Division I Mens BB Team in the state. Soon to have the #1 Womens BB Team in the state - proving it on the court. (this in no way reflects that I am happy with the current state of affairs - gotta turn it around and get the team playing like a Big Sky contender before it's too late.)

The seniors on this team need to look themselves in the mirror and ask themselves what do they want to be remembered by when it is all said and done. The team has the talent to win the Big Sky, it is there. We have seen it. They need to start showing it on the road. They need to win in Missoula, need to win at Weber. Winning on the road isn't just about talent, its about having the right mindset. Having the "business" look about them.

I don't know what is so hard about running a zone offense. You attack the gaps of the zone, make fast, smart passes to make the zone defense move around and get uncomfortable. Attack the middle and keep moving around filling the holes. If you get an open shot you convert. 5 people need to move, not 3 or 4 but 5!

I am not a fan of the full court press with initial ball trap in corner, not because it isn't a good defense because it can be... when it is run correctly. This game is an example of what happens when it is not run correctly. Easy points for BGSU, they beat it and we were too lazy to get back (yes, I said lazy).

Post play is..... ugh

I think it is time for Quinton Hooker to get a start and I would start him Sunday and see how it goes. If at the very least it send Webb a message that he needs to pick up his game so be it.

Its time to go 4 guard and Nash, that gives us the best chance to win.

• Upvote 1

I think the line up needs a shaking up... We need to go to a 4 guard line up and Nash. However, it is not the 4 guards you think.

Hooker

Anderson

Huff

Schuler

Nash

Your lineup is good but I would still start with Webb. Calcaterra has done nothing on offense or defense for 2 games and does not even have a rebound in the last 2. Salmonson is just as ineffective so lets go with this lineup and play Traylor, Hooker, Benton and Stefen off the bench. This would make us solid with the ability to score from anybody. I would start Benton at the 5 before I would start either big cause Benton would fight for the rebounds and actually play very solid on defense. Jones definitely needs to shake up the lineup and leave the bigs out.

...and just because you beat a crappy ND team (only 2 wins vs teams with a winning record)...

Why do I get the feeling that if it was revealed today that last night's SU squad was really 10 FarmHouse frat boys from the NDSU intramural league in disguise that you and a few others here would STILL find a way to downplay their win?

I am saying because you beat KU in football doesn't mean you could take down the big dogs of the Big 12 (back then) and just because you beat a crappy ND team (only 2 wins vs teams with a winning record) doesn't mean you could take down the top dogs of the ACC no matter what dribble (no pun intended) you hear on BV. Sorry but Duke would kill you guys.

Now you are calling ND crappy. Oh dear Darell. You are really upset about this aren't you? Notre Dame is consistently a good basketball team. No ifs. ands, or buts about it. Are they this year? Way too early to tell. If UND beat Notre Dame, you'd be unbelievably pumped, and rightfully so. Big win on the road at a consistent tourney team that very very rarely loses at home in the Non-Conference schedule. I don't know that any Bison fans have said we'd beat Duke. Not many teams can say that they'd beat Duke.

............. I am not going to buy the notion that beating Notre Dame in Men's BB is some sort of huge milestone in your program's D-I existence.

You're right it's not. But they are also not getting blown out of the water by middle of the pack Big West teams. Fact is, while NDSU basketball isn't anything fantastic IMO, they have wins against Big 10, ACC, and Big East teams on their courts. We can't even seem to make it interesting against a MAC team.

It is very frustrating to have an experienced, senior-laden team that is so inconsistent.

• Upvote 1

For all the talk about how well the Sioux played in giving up 100+ points to Wisconsin...the D-III UW-Platteville squad only allowed 80 against the Badgers.

Helps when the 7' center doesn't go 6/6 from 3-point land and have the game of his life putting up 43 points.

The seniors on this team need to look themselves in the mirror and ask themselves what do they want to be remembered by when it is all said and done. The team has the talent to win the Big Sky, it is there. We have seen it. They need to start showing it on the road. They need to win in Missoula, need to win at Weber. Winning on the road isn't just about talent, its about having the right mindset. Having the "business" look about them.

I don't know what is so hard about running a zone offense. You attack the gaps of the zone, make fast, smart passes to make the zone defense move around and get uncomfortable. Attack the middle and keep moving around filling the holes. If you get an open shot you convert. 5 people need to move, not 3 or 4 but 5!

This team has never shown the desire or ability to do that.