SiouxSports.com Forum

Craig Bohl to Wyoming

UND99

What other option did NDSU have? Let Bohl and his staff walk and have Wilbur, Oxbow6, and WYOBISONMAN take over the interim coaching reins on Monday?

My thought is that the assistant coaches would stick around to finish out the year and decide whether they are going to go with Bohl or stay at NDSU. Gives GT a fighting chance at keeping a couple of them. I guess they are really in a no win situation Just as surprised at Wyoming not insisting that he starts immediately.

Someone did through this out, I thought it was amusing, though can't tell if they were serious or not...

1. Phil Hansen - Defensive Line

2. Steve Walker - QB and he knows the offense (may be rusty but will know it better than most)

3. Tyler Rohl - Running backs

4. Grant Olsen - Linebackers

5. Tap into Tim Polsek (sorry about the spelling if incorrect)

6. Not sure about Offensive line.

7. The team needs an emotional uplifting, now. Assurance of who they still are without the coaches.

http://www.gowyo.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120813aaa.html

I just had an opportunity to watch Craig Bohl's press conference from down in Laramie.

All I have to say is I have endless respect for the man. Anyone who claims he is "phony" does not understand character and integrity and I'm glad they aren't the ones hiring our next football coach. It's quite obvious he has all kinds of respect for his players and the decision to move on was not easy for him.

I don't like NDSU athletics, for obvious reasons, but I love great football coaches, and Craig Bohl is definitely one of them. Let's now hope Faison can find the right guy who not only demands respect from his players and is a proven DI winner like Bohl, but that also cares about his players tremendously. I think Pflugrad fits that bill given how he stood up for his players and essentially sacrificed his job for them. Of course, there are others. Caruso also comes to mind.

Wonder how Ryan feels about this ... and her son ... and her son's father ... then again, $1M sugar-daddy ain't bad, assuming ...

I'm hearing Popster won't be looking for a new morning host and instead hearing words like "pre-nup". Not sure how good the source is however. I'd do hope the source is wrong.

Then again ... (words here about leopards and spots) ...

http://www.gowyo.com.../120813aaa.html

I just had an opportunity to watch Craig Bohl's press conference from down in Laramie.

All I have to say is I have endless respect for the man. Anyone who claims he is "phony" does not understand character and integrity and I'm glad they aren't the ones hiring our next football coach. It's quite obvious he has all kinds of respect for his players and the decision to move on was not easy for him.

I don't like NDSU athletics, for obvious reasons, but I love great football coaches, and Craig Bohl is definitely one of them. Let's now hope Faison can find the right guy who not only demands respect from his players and is a proven DI winner like Bohl, but that also cares about his players tremendously. I think Pflugrad fits that bill given how he stood up for his players and essentially sacrificed his job for them. Of course, there are others. Caruso also comes to mind.

I checked it out....been all sorts of mad about his decision to leave. You are right....or he is one hell of an actor. We caught lightning in a bottle with him...hope we pull it off again.

I checked it out....been all sorts of mad about his decision to leave. You are right....or he is one hell of an actor. We caught lightning in a bottle with him...hope we pull it off again.

Mad? You can't expect coaches to stay forever, especially if they're successful at the FCS level. That's the reality of playing FCS football. If you're successful, you'll lose your coach due to the bigger dollars that exist elsewhere.

I really doubt the next coach of NDSU will be comparable to Bohl. UND starts the process of closing the gap with NDSU next season.

The Bison have you a bit snowed, They went from great teams in the early 80s in d2 to the present great FCS team with little to no success. UND during that period was winning and making the playoffs often in d2, they just did not win as many titles (just 1). UND's transition to FCS through the present is very similar to the Bison's, neither had much success and had poor records during that time. UND still has to prove it can get to a high level over the next few years, but there's no reason to think that can't happen.

you had two 10-1 seasons and 3 fbs wins?

Mad? You can't expect coaches to stay forever, especially if they're successful at the FCS level. That's the reality of playing FCS football. If you're successful, you'll lose your coach due to the bigger dollars that exist elsewhere.

I really doubt the next coach of NDSU will be comparable to Bohl. UND starts the process of closing the gap with NDSU next season.

Mad at how it unfolded. One minute I'm sitting at the Hunger Games movie with the ladyfriend....next thing I know I get a text that Bohl is gone and now I'm stuck at a movie...hearing Bohl is leaving for a school like friggin' Wyoming...

I wish that we had a coach similar to my point of view. Looking at the school I am a fan of as a destination. IF Hak got an NHL offer, he'd likely go....but there has got to be someone out there...that'd stay at UND for life by choice regardless of dollar offers.....and qualified to do that. I would love for NDSU to find someone qualified who wants to retire here. Is that likely....nope....but in a perfect world.

The cowboy logo makes me cringe each time I see it, not because of Wy. football, the school, or the state, but because it's on so many flags flying at oil rigs around western ND. Oil rigs, on their own, make me cringe. Yuck

• Upvote 1

One minute I'm sitting at the Hunger Games movie with the ladyfriend....next thing I know I get a text that Bohl is gone and now I'm stuck at a movie...hearing Bohl is leaving...

I'm not sure what's more stunning...finding out Bohl is leaving or you revealing yourself to be a 16 year old teenage girl!

• Upvote 3

IF Hak got an NHL offer, he'd likely go....but there has got to be someone out there...that'd stay at UND for life by choice regardless of dollar offers.....and qualified to do that.

That did happen, his name was Dean Blais, he left UND and went to the Columbus Blue Jackets. Hak was his replacement and it has worked out well, we went to many frozen fours, but couldn't win the NC but at least we had a shot. NDSU will look for a guy either on the current staff or elsewhere that will mimic the success of Bohl, now the question is if this new coach doesn't win a NC will fans call for his head.

• Upvote 3

That did happen, his name was Dean Blais, he left UND and went to the Columbus Blue Jackets. Hak was his replacement and it has worked out well, we went to many frozen fours, but couldn't win the NC but at least we had a shot. NDSU will look for a guy either on the current staff or elsewhere that will mimic the success of Bohl, now the question is if this new coach doesn't win a NC will fans call for his head.

You never want to be the guy replacing a legend. It's much easier to replace the guy who replaces the guy who got canned for not adequately replacing the legend.

See also: Bryant, Paul and Perkins, Ray as well as Hayes, Woody and Bruce, Earle.

• Upvote 1

You never want to be the guy replacing a legend. It's much easier to replace the guy who replaces the guy who got canned for not adquately replacing the legend.

See also: Bryant, Paul and Perkins, Ray as well as Hayes, Woody and Bruce, Earle.

Also see: Lennon, Dale and Mussman, Chris. ;)

It might be painful temporarily, but I think it is going to work out better for NDSU in the long run that the staff was picked clean and they will have to go external for the new HC. If the job was handed to one of the coordinators to lead a program into the future and he was left with a skeleton of a staff, it could end up being a very similar situation to what happened with Mussman and UND.

GT goes on Joel Heitkamp's show this morning to discuss the situation and somehow Heitkamp ends bad mouthing Hakstol? Didn't hear it myself, curious if anyone else did?

Yep. Joel has issues because he's not at the top of Hak's important people list.

BFD.

• Upvote 1

Heard on Jack Michael show on 740 The Fan over noon hour, GT was talking about possibly getting an emergency hire for the HC job to speed up the ND hiring process. GT said this is an important time in recruiting as a reason. I admit I'm not the definition of unbiased but how is the situation an emergency? Bohl and his whole staff are finishing the playoffs at FU, it's not like Bohl and his top assistants are in Laramie right now talking about where to start recruiting. If GT got his way, FU could have 2 HC's for a time, one focused on 2013 team and getting a 3rd NC while the other is on the recruiting trail concerned about 2014. Am I inferring this correctly? Just doesn't seem fair. I realize Bohl finishing out year is somewhat unheard of, but does anyone remember this ever happening before?

UND could do the "emergency hire" thing too if they weren't so damn lazy. Making a couple calls a day and taking two weeks to even find out who is interested is absolutely ridiculous.

Sounds like you're pretty informed about what's actually going on. Any more info you'd like to share?