SiouxSports.com Forum

What's in the cupboard?

geaux_sioux

So let's say Mussman gets canned after the season. Obviously Faison can make a mean sales pitch with the facilities and the coming upgrades. But what caliber of pitch can be made in terms of talent on the team that will return?

Offense.

-There appear to be a few fr hogs that could be special (Miller, Stockwell, and Bell). Anderson is a very good play and could slide out to tackle if he has to. Walker has been pretty inconsistent at center and had a rough game against Sac St but has been pretty solid at times.

-WR is obviously stocked full of talent and Carr and McGill will add to the depth next year in the absence of Hardin.

-At RB we will have Garmin Shaugs Sparks Varner and Sharp. None of these players has had enough carries for us to truly know what they have. Sharp, however, seems to be a different breed than the others. This young man has the look of a RB, he's got Hershal Walker type traps and very broad shoulders. He was close to getting his shirt pulled in fall camp but didn't more so because they had alot of backs without him than because he wasn't good enough. We still could use a 230lb power back to pound the rock though.

-At QB we have two highly recruited rfr and an athletic rather unknown fr. These guys need to be developed. It really hurt to lose Riddle, I thought he could have been something special.

-At FB we have a super athletic fr that can block run and catch.

-Who knows what we have at TE they don't see the ball. They can block but we don't spend a whole lot of time in jumbo sets unless we're at the goal line.

Defense.

-The DL has a few really talented young players. Edwards is a monster who will get better and more consistent. Cheatom has been pretty good in spots but is still pretty green. Cary came into camp injured and from what I hear was the top candidate for getting his shirt pulled before his injury. Carrothers is a guy I really like, he has a great motor and attitude.

-At LB there are some promising young talents that need to get experience and be developed. Rich Labat Wharton Ratelle Norberg Idowu and Beard are all very athletic and big players that are legit D1 talents. This could form a very good LB corps if developed properly.

-The secondary has two young stud safeties in Kuksa and Reyes. CB is a huge weakness on this team Brown has digressed as the season has gone on and other than him maybe Konowalski can be a good player but the other CBs just aren't good.

So for an incoming coach it's not as if there is nothing to work with. There are weaknesses obviously, which would need to be addressed, but there is plenty of talent in the younger players. Enough to snag a really good coach? We'll see I guess.

• Upvote 2

You make some some very good points, but I don't think the "sales pitch" is about the current players, I think it is about what resources you have, and vision of what UND can be once again. The pitch can be about how you will work with that coach to help him build a elite program from scratch and that the fans will give him time to clean up the mess left behind (very little immediate pressure to win).

So let's say Mussman gets canned after the season. Obviously Faison can make a mean sales pitch with the facilities and the coming upgrades. But what caliber of pitch can be made in terms of talent on the team that will return?

Offense.

-There appear to be a few fr hogs that could be special (Miller, Stockwell, and Bell). Anderson is a very good play and could slide out to tackle if he has to. Walker has been pretty inconsistent at center and had a rough game against Sac St but has been pretty solid at times.

-WR is obviously stocked full of talent and Carr and McGill will add to the depth next year in the absence of Hardin.

-At RB we will have Garmin Shaugs Sparks Varner and Sharp. None of these players has had enough carries for us to truly know what they have. Sharp, however, seems to be a different breed than the others. This young man has the look of a RB, he's got Hershal Walker type traps and very broad shoulders. He was close to getting his shirt pulled in fall camp but didn't more so because they had alot of backs without him than because he wasn't good enough. We still could use a 230lb power back to pound the rock though.

-At QB we have two highly recruited rfr and an athletic rather unknown fr. These guys need to be developed. It really hurt to lose Riddle, I thought he could have been something special.

-Who knows what we have at TE they don't see the ball. They can block but we don't spend a whole lot of time in jumbo sets unless we're at the goal line.

Defense.

-The DL has a few really talented young players. Edwards is a monster who will get better and more consistent. Cheatom has been pretty good in spots but is still pretty green. Cary came into camp injured and from what I hear was the top candidate for getting his shirt pulled before his injury. Carrothers is a guy I really like, he has a great motor and attitude.

-At LB there are some promising young talents that need to get experience and be developed. Rich Labat Wharton Ratelle Norberg Idowu and Beard are all very athletic and big players that are legit D1 talents. This could form a very good LB corps if developed properly.

-The secondary has two young stud safeties in Kuksa and Reyes. CB is a huge weakness on this team Brown has digressed as the season has gone on and other than him maybe Konowalski can be a good player but the other CBs just aren't good.

So for an incoming coach it's not as if there is nothing to work with. There are weaknesses obviously, which would need to be addressed, but there is plenty of talent in the younger players. Enough to snag a really good coach? We'll see I guess.

Hard to believe this team stinks so bad with a description like that.

The cupboard is pretty bare. If the redshirt and true freshmen were as talented as they've been described they'd be playing right now and we wouldn't be staring down a 2-9 season. Personally, I'd like to see quite a bit of turnover on the roster in the next few years under a new coach. A lot of players currently on the team have no business playing college football.

• Upvote 2

The cupboard is pretty bare. If the redshirt and true freshmen were as talented as they've been described they'd be playing right now and we wouldn't be staring down a 2-9 season. Personally, I'd like to see quite a bit of turnover on the roster in the next few years under a new coach. A lot of players currently on the team have no business playing college football.

So you and many others seem to think that me saying the the rfr and fr classes are talented doesn't make sense since they all aren't starting right now. As an example NDSU had a great 2010 class. Wanna guess how many had their shirts pulled? The answer is 3. They just had a 3-8 season and yet they had a great recruiting class. There is no reason to force guys into the lineup just because of their talent, they need to understand the systems first and go from there. Lennon has a good stance on redshirting, you're trading that players best year for his worst. A guy like Kuksa is needed out there. A guy like Norbert, not as much. Why would they waste a valuable developmental year just because he's talented? It's safe to assume that the rfr version of Norbert will be much better than the fr version.

And your last statement just about gave me an aneurism . Really? They have no business playing college football? At any level? At any school? Unless we were the only offer or interest at any level for a kid I am going to have to strongly question your line of thinking on this statement.

Hard to believe this team stinks so bad with a description like that.

The Raiders have some of the best most talented athletes in the league yet they have sucked for years. It takes way more than talent to win. Remember we used to whoop more talented teams in D2. I'll take discipline and toughness over talent every time.

If your entire group playing is sophomores on down we'd still be 2-9. Some guys have talent but aren't physically ready.

I'm still in the belief it's not as much talent as it is getting out coached and out prepared. Obviously need an upgrade at a few spots, but we need someone to get these guys believing again.

• Upvote 3

The Raiders have some of the best most talented athletes in the league yet they have sucked for years. It takes way more than talent to win. Remember we used to whoop more talented teams in D2. I'll take discipline and toughness over talent every time.

Don't feel bad. You are far from the only person to be waayyyy off in the evaluation of the talent on this roster.

Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.----Jordan Parise

Offense.

Defense.

By that description 3 of the 5 lineman are special and another really talented, the receivers are amazing, the running back is equal to Hershal Walker, the fullback is an athletic freak, and the qb are highly recruited. Sounds like the best offense ever

• Upvote 2

By that description 3 of the 5 lineman are special and another really talented, the receivers are amazing, the running back is equal to Hershal Walker, the fullback is an athletic freak, and the qb are highly recruited. Sounds like the best offense ever

I'm not into feeding trolls but I just have to correct a couple things. Having traps like Walker and running like him are totally different things. Those three special I listed are redshirting and have no impact on this years team.

I'm not into fee_ing trolls but I just have to correct a couple things. Having traps like Walker an_ running like him are totally _ifferent things. Those three special I listed are re_shirting an_ have no impact on this years team.

Sorry I _I_n't realize those guys were re_shirting. As a Vikes fan, I'm sickene_ by the name Walker. We built the _allas _ynasty by ourselves. To a__ insult to injury, he resigne_ with _allas to en_ his career!!!

_own with the _allas Cowboys _ynasty!!!

He found positive things to say about 15-20 guys on the entire roster. That's not even enough for starters on both sides of the ball.

I think there are some good players on this roster, throughout the classes. I actually think Mussman has been a pretty decent recruiter in his time here, especially given the circumstances surrounding the transition and the nickname, it is just not translating to on the field success for whatever reason.

The secondary is pretty weak outside of Kuksa.

I like the Linebacker corps including seniors like Goodman, Finley, and Bennett.

The defensive line has been lacking, but it looks like there is some quality talent there amongst the youngsters.

Except for the RB position, there are multiple talented players on the roster at the skill positions like WR and QB. We just don't know about the RB position because nobody but Miller or Garman are allowed to touch the ball for some reason.

The biggest deficiency is the offensive line. It seems they can't pass protect, and they can't run block. It would be preferable to have an O-Line that could at least do one or the other, if not both...................