SiouxSports.com Forum

New TV Deal

darell1976

I suppose that is the best I'm going to get. Bottom line is that it is a no brainer that having other games on national TV is going to be good for everyone and the fact that is was disallowed in the contract is a failure on all of those who agreed to the deal.

Don't make me ask if you agree that something like this is appropriate to debate on a forum? I'm to tired to pin you down on this one. AND don't say it has already been vetted out on the forums so it's old news. The negative effects of the horrendous contract are only now having their detrimental effect. ie season of change has only just begun. So this is an absolutely appropriate time to be having this discussion. Many people are just becoming aware of what has been lost now.

I specifically waited until now to voice my distain for what has been done/undone. I am not complaining, I am attempting to do my part to effectuate changes in the administration at UND which I feel should be made. Just doin my part..

Sorry you don't like my answer. Obviously it's not a no-brainer since not everyone agrees with you. It's your opinion based on no data. You may end up being right, but it's only an opinion. It's too early to know if it's a failure for the league, only time will tell.

The topic has been discussed on the forum for more then a year. It's old news. It's only a horrendous contract to UND fans that used to have access via Fox College Sports. It would be much better for UND and UND fans if they still put the hockey games on FCS. But the contract is better for much of the league than anything they have ever had before. And it's better for the league than anything that the WCHA ever had as a league. The only TV contract the WCHA had was broadcasting the Final 5 on Fox Sports North. Nothing on a national basis.

There isn't going to be any change in the administration because of this contract. Both the contract with Midcontinent and the contract with CBS Sports are better financially then anything they have had before.. It sounds like the webcast is working better than most people expected. Some people are unhappy, but there are always people unhappy with change. Go ahead and "do your part". I've discussed this to death, so I'm going to try and move on rather than continue to participate in the same old discussion.

Sorry you don't like my answer. Obviously it's not a no-brainer since not everyone agrees with you. It's your opinion based on no data. You may end up being right, but it's only an opinion. It's too early to know if it's a failure for the league, only time will tell.

The topic has been discussed on the forum for more then a year. It's old news. It's only a horrendous contract to UND fans that used to have access via Fox College Sports. It would be much better for UND and UND fans if they still put the hockey games on FCS. But the contract is better for much of the league than anything they have ever had before. And it's better for the league than anything that the WCHA ever had as a league. The only TV contract the WCHA had was broadcasting the Final 5 on Fox Sports North. Nothing on a national basis.

There isn't going to be any change in the administration because of this contract. Both the contract with Midcontinent and the contract with CBS Sports are better financially then anything they have had before.. It sounds like the webcast is working better than most people expected. Some people are unhappy, but there are always people unhappy with change. Go ahead and "do your part". I've discussed this to death, so I'm going to try and move on rather than continue to participate in the same old discussion.

Fair enough. Time will tell. Maybe we will get lucky and CBS Sports TV will announce it is willing to allow "rebroadcast" of regional coverage on national stations just as long as it is not being shown in a time slot which coincides with their broadcast. Wouldn't that be nice? For the life of me I cannot imagine an executive at CBS Sports having any problem with that if he/she was directly asked it. Thinking about it makes me want to find out who the person is in charge and give them a call myself. But knowing Faison is they did get permission to let FCS rebroadcast (carry) some games, he would decline anyway and say it was in the best interest of the future ability of the tennis program to host home playoffs. <---JOKE...

Until then I have to go figure out how the hell I am going to convert my HDMI out on my laptop to an S-Video input on my DVD-recorder so I can watch the game later tonight since I cannot count on the replay being uploaded onto UND Sports Insider tonight (actually probably wont even be available on replay since it is a Miami feed). ugg!@

IMHO, UND and Faison made an early mistake, as they were desperate to exit the WCHA with Denver, CC, UMD, and UNO, to not agree to special UND TV rights with Fox Sports as a regional entity prior to joining the NCHC. Those rights got assigned to the league and there is no way they can take them back once the league was established. Notre Dame refused to join the league because it knew it broadcast rights were worth a hell of a lot more (plus it didn't want to contaminate its good name with lesser school). It was right: Hockey East met every single one of Notre Dames demands. Denver also knew it Rocky Mountain regional tv rights would never be in jeopardy. You never hear a UND official or media acknowledge those issues. UND misplayed its hand.

Actually, it was the other way around, the NCHC moved away from Notre Dame when they wanted to have their own TV deal.

I don't wear my heart on my sleeve, unlike a bunch of people.

No you don't. All you do is come on here and talk like a wanna-be economist who knows everything. I think people would get along with you better if you would drop the professorial act and talk to people like the ordinary Joes and Janes that they are.

I'm not hear to complain about things.

No you are not. You are here to defend any and every decision made by the powers-that-be, no matter how fishy their explanations are sometimes. Holding decision-makers accountable is an important part of being a stakeholder in an athletic department. And each and every one of us that buys tickets to games, donates to the Champions Club and travels to road games to support our teams are stakeholders.

I didn't join the forum to constantly inject my opinion. I joined to trade information.

And that is your prerogative. But you should understand that a discussion forum like this is a place where people vent, express their opinions AND trade information. You should remember that the next time you scold someone for being too opinionated and passionate about a topic.

Sorry if that bothers you so much.

What bothers some of us is certain posters telling other posters which opinions and viewpoints are or are not acceptable here. Does that remind you of someone?

• Upvote 3

Actually, it was the other way around, the NCHC moved away from Notre Dame when they wanted to have their own TV deal.

That's a pretty ridiculous statement. Spin from the NCHC. When it became apparent the Notre Dame itself could deliver a better TV contract than the NCHC could itself, Notre Dame spun itself into Hockey East helping to get them Hockey East on NBC Sports too. The NCHC only took W Mich and SCSU when it was left with no other options, as Notre Dame was blocking them. Notre Dame wielded all kinds of power in the NCHC, even though it wasn't a member. The NCHC wanted NBC Sports as its carrier.

That's a pretty ridiculous statement. Spin from the NCHC. When it became apparent the Notre Dame itself could deliver a better TV contract than the NCHC could itself, Notre Dame spun itself into Hockey East helping to get them Hockey East on NBC Sports too. The NCHC only took W Mich and SCSU when it was left with no other options, as Notre Dame was blocking them. Notre Dame wielded all kinds of power in the NCHC, even though it wasn't a member. The NCHC wanted NBC Sports as its carrier.

Have you seen how heavily weighted the NBC sports "Hockey East" schedule is toward Notre Dame? I'm sure everyone on here currently complaining about the CBS Sports deal would be so happy to have Notre Dame featured on 12 of the 17 broadcasts if they were in the NCHC.

Have you seen how heavily weighted the NBC sports "Hockey East" schedule is toward Notre Dame? I'm sure everyone on here currently complaining about the CBS Sports deal would be so happy to have Notre Dame featured on 12 of the 17 broadcasts if they were in the NCHC.

Pretty sure the NBC SN contract is with Notre Dame (much like NBC for Notre Dame football), and not with Hockey East.

Actually, my source who told me about Faison being the only one who voted against the CBSSN deal also said the NCHC decided to move on from Notre Dame. The NCHC got fed up with Notre Dame dragging its feet as the school was trying to decide between the NCHC and Hockey East. Apparently, talks had gone back and forth and it seemed like ND to the NCHC was imminent several times, but the NCHC got tired of being played and the schools felt they needed to make a decision on an 8th member so they said no thanks to Notre Dame.

• Upvote 3

Pretty sure the NBC SN contract is with Notre Dame (much like NBC for Notre Dame football), and not with Hockey East.

According to this, there is a deal in place with Hockey East.

http://www.hockeyeas...media/nbcsn.php

However, reading more into it, they may have separate deals with both Notre Dame and Hockey east, because the HEA agreement only specifies up to 12 games over the next two years. Those games are probably aside from what they've already contracted to do with Notre Dame.

Edit: Further searching backs the above statement:

http://www.und.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/101113aab.html

According to this, there is a deal in place with Hockey East.

http://www.hockeyeas...media/nbcsn.php

However, reading more into it, they may have separate deals with both Notre Dame and Hockey east, because the HEA agreement only specifies up to 12 games over the next two years. Those games are probably aside from what they've already contracted to do with Notre Dame.

Edit: Further searching backs the above statement:

http://www.und.com/s.../101113aab.html

I agree, it looks like two deals are in place. On the plus side, I see UND at BU is scheduled for TV. I did not know that until now.

You can believe what you want, but as someone else said, it's pretty apparent that Notre Dame tried to dictate the terms.

Actually, my source who told me about Faison being the only one who voted against the CBSSN deal also said the NCHC decided to move on from Notre Dame. The NCHC got fed up with Notre Dame dragging its feet as the school was trying to decide between the NCHC and Hockey East. Apparently, talks had gone back and forth and it seemed like ND to the NCHC was imminent several times, but the NCHC got tired of being played and the schools felt they needed to make a decision on an 8th member so they said no thanks to Notre Dame.

Funny, that's the same thing I heard, more than once., too...

No you don't. All you do is come on here and talk like a wanna-be economist who knows everything. I think people would get along with you better if you would drop the professorial act and talk to people like the ordinary Joes and Janes that they are.

No you are not. You are here to defend any and every decision made by the powers-that-be, no matter how fishy their explanations are sometimes. Holding decision-makers accountable is an important part of being a stakeholder in an athletic department. And each and every one of us that buys tickets to games, donates to the Champions Club and travels to road games to support our teams are stakeholders.

And that is your prerogative. But you should understand that a discussion forum like this is a place where people vent, express their opinions AND trade information. You should remember that the next time you scold someone for being too opinionated and passionate about a topic.

What bothers some of us is certain posters telling other posters which opinions and viewpoints are or are not acceptable here. Does that remind you of someone?

Speaking of scolding, what would you call your post?

Speaking of scolding, what would you call your post?

I was calling him out for dictating terms to other posters on what is and is not acceptable here and for assuming that everyone else on this forum is here only to "exchange information" and not offer opinions and (sometimes) passionate viewpoints. And that does include, from time to time, complaining. Problems that are not pointed out are problems that are never solved.

• Upvote 1

The NCHC got outmanuevered by ND so they had no choice but tell them to stick it. The NCHC was stuck with members and a contract that were not ideal.

Call it what you want but why was Notre dame holding out on not committing to the nchc?

For the same reason that UND doesn't have the FCS setup anymore. Notre Dame wanted their own broadcast deal in addition to any NCHC broadcast deal. The NCHC wouldn't cave to that (just like it didn't for UND) but Hockey East did.

The NCHC got outmanuevered by ND so they had no choice but tell them to stick it. The NCHC was stuck with members and a contract that were not ideal.

The NCHC was officially formed in July, with Western Mich and SCSU added in September. The CBSSN deal wasn't finished until January. The NCHC members chose the CBSSN deal (except for UND, who didn't want the exclusivity clause). NBCSN didn't sign a new deal with Hockey East once Notre Dame joined, they just reupped their existing contract. There is no exclusivity clause in that deal, other than during games broadcast by NBCSN. However, Hockey East is only getting 17 games aired on NBCSN, one fewer than the NCHC on CBSSN. 12 of those are Notre Dame home games. I'm sure UND fans would have been just fine had UND only been part of just a couple of the games aired on NBCSN.

The CBSSN agreement is better for the NCHC than the NBCSN is for Hockey East. The NBCSN deal would have been better for UND, as games would have been allowed on FCS. Although, who knows if the NBCSN deal would have been available to the NCHC had Notre Dame joined.

For the same reason that UND doesn't have the FCS setup anymore. Notre Dame wanted their own broadcast deal in addition to any NCHC broadcast deal. The NCHC wouldn't cave to that (just like it didn't for UND) but Hockey East did.

The NCHC was officially formed in July, with Western Mich and SCSU added in September. The CBSSN deal wasn't finished until January. The NCHC members chose the CBSSN deal (except for UND, who didn't want the exclusivity clause). NBCSN didn't sign a new deal with Hockey East once Notre Dame joined, they just reupped their existing contract. There is no exclusivity clause in that deal, other than during games broadcast by NBCSN. However, Hockey East is only getting 17 games aired on NBCSN, one fewer than the NCHC on CBSSN. 12 of those are Notre Dame home games. I'm sure UND fans would have been just fine had UND only been part of just a couple of the games aired on NBCSN.

The CBSSN agreement is better for the NCHC than the NBCSN is for Hockey East. The NBCSN deal would have been better for UND, as games would have been allowed on FCS. Although, who knows if the NBCSN deal would have been available to the NCHC had Notre Dame joined.

That all I'm saying. As it is, the winners are Denver, Miami, and Notre Dame. They got what they bargained for. The loser is UND - they lost on the deal. The weakest partners is the NCHC were thrilled: the strongest one UND was shafted.

When it became apparent the Notre Dame itself could deliver a better TV contract than the NCHC could itself, Notre Dame spun itself into Hockey East helping to get them Hockey East on NBC Sports too.

Hockey East already had a contract with NBCSN prior to Notre Dame joining. By adding Notre Dame, the number of non-ND games on NBCSN went from a whopping 4 last year to an incredible 5! Adding Notre Dame did nothing to help Hockey East's broadcasts get on NBCSN.

The NCHC wanted NBC Sports as its carrier.

There was nothing stopping them from getting NBCSN as their broadcast partner after Notre Dame went to Hockey East. Except that NBCSN doesn't care about airing college Hockey East games, so why would it care about airing NCHC games? CBSSN aired 8 Hockey East conference matchups last year, compared to the 4 on NBCSN. What good is a tv contract/partnership if it doesn't really benefit the conference? CBSSN is airing 15 regular season league games plus the playoffs. The network is airing two non-NCHC games this season. Seems like a pretty great television deal. NBCSN is capping their broadcasts of Hockey East games to "up to 12" total over two years. The only positive to that deal is that there isn't an exclusivity clause, otherwise it's a meaningless deal and is crap compared to the NCHC/CBSSN deal.