SiouxSports.com Forum

New TV Deal

darell1976

Still curious how they consider fcs channels national they are actually less available for those that really would like to get them than the actual rsn's. Anyone can sign up for a dish subscription and get all rsn's anywhere in the country. Only those that have access to cable can get the fcs channels.

Because.

Because.

I'm sure it's written in some legal contract somewhere. The reality of it is, any game root decides to air of Denver can be seen nationwide. Same can't be said of the und games because fcs is technically a national channel. So is root but it's technically a regional channel that is available nationally?

A quick google search supplies the answer to why they care about cable but not satellite.

"According to Ipsos survey, 51% of US households have cable TV, 26% receive their television via satellite, 1% have both, and 22% have neither."

This is only homes though. What about sports bars? Most have dish service only. And if we are talking homes, one can easily drop cable and switch to a dish service if that means they can follow their favorite team.

The reality of it is, any game root decides to air of Denver can be seen nationwide.

On Dish/DirecTV systems. I can't watch it on cable outside of the Root viewing area. Just like I can't watch Midco outside of the viewing area. DirecTV and Dish have their own set of rules. If DirecTV wanted to pick up UND hockey games and air them, they could do that.

On Dish/DirecTV systems. I can't watch it on cable outside of the Root viewing area. Just like I can't watch Midco outside of the viewing area. DirecTV and Dish have their own set of rules. If DirecTV wanted to pick up UND hockey games and air them, they could do that.

If you lived outside of the root area at least youd have the choice to go with a dish system though. Fans outside of midco's footprint have an option of online only.

If you lived outside of the root area at least youd have the choice to go with a dish system though. Fans outside of midco's footprint have an option of online only.

That is why it would be really nice if Midco could sell their sports network to Dish/DTV. Comcast did that with their Comcast Sports Network, and those channels available on certain Dish/DTV tiers. I'm sure Midco would love that, but it's up to Dish/DTV.

That is why it would be really nice if Midco could sell their sports network to Dish/DTV. Comcast did that with their Comcast Sports Network, and those channels available on certain Dish/DTV tiers. I'm sure Midco would love that, but it's up to Dish/DTV.

Does anyone know how that would work? Is midco asking for money to be picked up on a sports tier? Or would they need to pay to make that happen?

Does anyone know how that would work? Is midco asking for money to be picked up on a sports tier? Or would they need to pay to make that happen?

Midco would get money from DirecTV and Dish to air their channel. However, it's likely Midco wouldn't ask for a significant amount because it is in their best interest to get on satellite.