SiouxSports.com Forum

New TV Deal

darell1976

I am wondering if Notre Dame forced NBCSN to take hockey as a package deal to go with the football rights? This way they can get money for the hockey program from NBC instead of having to use their own finds. I find it hard to believe that ND hockey has as much attraction as ND football. If it did why did they drop the program? From reading siouxforever and yabay8's comments about the CBS contract I agree with them. CBS would have more to gain with more exposure than lose. Most fans would not watch another team on CBS. UND fans will watch a bad internet feed before watching another league game. So then so what if UND was on Fox? We would not be watching CBS anyone.

I am wondering if Notre Dame forced NBCSN to take hockey as a package deal to go with the football rights? This way they can get money for the hockey program from NBC instead of having to use their own finds. I find it hard to believe that ND hockey has as much attraction as ND football.

Of course they did. It's the same way UND got FCS to originally air sports other than hockey. It's why the NCAA sells all of its rights (except basketball) to one entity. You want Notre Dame football, you also have to air Notre Dame hockey and basketball. You want UND hockey you also have to air UND football, basketball and volleyball. I highly doubt Notre Dame hockey gets any money from NBCSN.

The best thing that could happen for UND sports (and Midco) this season is for Root, Altitude or some other regional network carried on DirecTV and Dish to make an agreement with Midco to pick up the feed of UND hockey. That way it is more accessible to more viewers. However, it would most likely involved Midco just giving away their signal for free, something that they aren't likely to do because then there is no incentive for DirecTV or Dish owners in Midcoland to switch to Midco.

The best thing that could happen for UND sports (and Midco) this season is for Root, Altitude or some other regional network carried on DirecTV and Dish to make an agreement with Midco to pick up the feed of UND hockey. That way it is more accessible to more viewers. However, it would most likely involved Midco just giving away their signal for free, something that they aren't likely to do because then there is no incentive for DirecTV or Dish owners in Midcoland to switch to Midco.

I wonder if the Midco could work out such a deal with Root or Altitude, but then ensure that the games are blacked out on those channels by the satellite providers in say North and South Dakota. That would seem to be the optimal answer for UND and Midco.

Rumor has it that is what midco has done with the small affiliates in nd....based on their original asking price and what they are asking of them now. Not a rumor though!

Of course they did. It's the same way UND got FCS to originally air sports other than hockey. It's why the NCAA sells all of its rights (except basketball) to one entity. You want Notre Dame football, you also have to air Notre Dame hockey and basketball. You want UND hockey you also have to air UND football, basketball and volleyball. I highly doubt Notre Dame hockey gets any money from NBCSN.

The thing I cannot figure out is why FCS is staying with UND sports sans having the hockey games? Clearly the hockey games were the big draw for them.

The thing I cannot figure out is why FCS is staying with UND sports sans having the hockey games? Clearly the hockey games were the big draw for them.

FCS has clearly developed a following with UND fans. It may be small but they're reliable viewers that have been shown to keep coming back for more than just hockey. Plus, it's free, high quality (despite what some people think) broadcasting that fills time slots. FCS is all about filling time slots. They aren't going to be able to air a ton of games so they find the stuff they can and have been pretty consistent with a number of schools.

• Upvote 2

How are the fcs channels not considered regional anyways? Maybe it's been said before but they are each tagged with regional names. They are no more national the fox sports north for the viewer technically.

The FCS channels have no original content. Everything they air is from broadcast partners. Fox Sports North produces their own content and is only available regionally on cable systems. FCS is available nationally on cable systems. Really all FCS does is pick up games and content from other people and then reair it.

The FCS channels have no original content. Everything they air is from broadcast partners. Fox Sports North produces their own content and is only available regionally on cable systems. FCS is available nationally on cable systems. Really all FCS does is pick up games and content from other people and then reair it.

Fox sports north is available nationally with either dish system though. If you want to get the channel you can get it. Pro sports blacked out but any programming or college sports is available to anyone in the country that wants it.

Fox sports north is available nationally with either dish system though. If you want to get the channel you can get it. Pro sports blacked out but any programming or college sports is available to anyone in the country that wants it.

That's why I said cable systems. Dish systems are different.

That's why I said cable systems. Dish systems are different.

Directv, dish network, or cable. 3 options available nationally. Actually more people nationwide have the option to choose a dish system than they do cable. If you have cable and pay extra you can get fcs channels. If you have a dish system and pay extra you can get all rsn's. Either way fox sports north and fcs is available nationally. Still not understanding why fcs is considered national and fox sports north is considered a regional channel (other than fsn's pro sporting events which would be blacked out outside of their region) remember their college sports are available nationwide.

Directv, dish network, or cable. 3 options available nationally. Actually more people nationwide have the option to choose a dish system than they do cable. If you have cable and pay extra you can get fcs channels. If you have a dish system and pay extra you can get all rsn's. Either way fox sports north and fcs is available nationally. Still not understanding why fcs is considered national and fox sports north is considered a regional channel (other than fsn's pro sporting events which would be blacked out outside of their region) remember their college sports are available nationwide.

DirecTV and dish are available throughout the country. Comcast, Midco, etc are not available throughout the country. That's the difference. Regional cable systems throughout the country carry FCS. Regional cable systems throughout the country do not carry the FSNs or Root sports outside of their region. FCS is national because it is available nationally on cable systems. Fox Sports North is regional because it is not available nationally on cable systems. Midco is regional because it is not available nationally on cable systems.

I understand what you are saying but out of all sports networks you are listing midco sn is the only channel that is really only available regionally. If midco got a deal with directv and or dish to be offered in their sports packs, their channel would then be available nationally. Just saying if you live in nd and want to receive root sports, it is available to you. Just as available as fcs channels are if you want to receive them.

On top of that I think it's safe to say that fox sports north(or any of the rsn's for that matter) has higher ratings than any of the fcs channels. Why are the supposed regional channels more watched than the supposed national channels?

Wouldn't their title of regional have more to do with the fact they cover regional sports?

Yes but they are available nationally. It's not going to happen....but if und hockey was picked up by fs north this would be ok with the CBS deal. But und hockey can't be on fcs. Just because of the "regional" title?

I understand what you are saying but out of all sports networks you are listing midco sn is the only channel that is really only available regionally. If midco got a deal with directv and or dish to be offered in their sports packs, their channel would then be available nationally. Just saying if you live in nd and want to receive root sports, it is available to you. Just as available as fcs channels are if you want to receive them.

On top of that I think it's safe to say that fox sports north(or any of the rsn's for that matter) has higher ratings than any of the fcs channels. Why are the supposed regional channels more watched than the supposed national channels?

I apologize if I come off as frustrated and I understand the designation may be confusing. I didn't make the distinction between regional and national but I understand how it is divided. The regional/national distinction is solely due to cable networks. In Colorado Springs, I can't get Fox Sports North no matter how many tiers I buy. There is no way I can get that channel. It's the same with Midco, Root sports Pittsburgh and any other regional network. I can get FCS (and still do) on my Comcast subscription. Anyone with a cable setup has the possibliity to get FCS (it's up to the cable providers to actually offer that channel).

DirecTV and Dish can get all of the regional networks on a tier and can also get FCS, which is put on a tier as well. That doesn't mean anything. DirecTV and Dish are the only two national television providers. They can essentially provide any channel to anyone. Cable systems can't do that.

That is where the difference from regional to national exists.

The viewership of regional vs national channels makes no difference. It's all how cable systems are setup and what channels they can show.

Wouldn't their title of regional have more to do with the fact they cover regional sports?

No. Fox Sports North can air a Texas Tech vs Texas football game. That's because Fox Sports produces that game and Fox Sports North is a regional entity of Fox Sports. It's different for NHL/NBA/MLB/NFL games due to contracts in place. Obviously, there won't be a lot of interest in a day-time Saturday Texas Tech v Texas football game in Minnesota. However, there are some Pac-12 football games aired on Fox Sports North on saturday nights because there isn't a lot of other live sports options available to them.

I apologize if I come off as frustrated and I understand the designation may be confusing. I didn't make the distinction between regional and national but I understand how it is divided. The regional/national distinction is solely due to cable networks. In Colorado Springs, I can't get Fox Sports North no matter how many tiers I buy. There is no way I can get that channel. It's the same with Midco, Root sports Pittsburgh and any other regional network. I can get FCS (and still do) on my Comcast subscription. Anyone with a cable setup has the possibliity to get FCS (it's up to the cable providers to actually offer that channel).

DirecTV and Dish can get all of the regional networks on a tier and can also get FCS, which is put on a tier as well. That doesn't mean anything. DirecTV and Dish are the only two national television providers. They can essentially provide any channel to anyone. Cable systems can't do that.

The viewership of regional vs national channels makes no difference. It's all how cable systems are setup and what channels they can show.

So why would the CBS deal apply to cable company channels and not dish channels? It's as if the CBS deal was written specifically to block the und games from being viewed nationally. As if und was targeted.

So why would the CBS deal apply to cable company channels and not dish channels? It's as if the CBS deal was written specifically to block the und games from being viewed nationally. As if und was targeted.

The CBS deal applies to national channels which have been designated for years. The national/regional title isn't something new. CBS clearly wanted exclusivity on national channels, which it got. UND is the only team that gets screwed because UND is the only school that has its games picked up on a national channel on a regular basis, although DU has had some games simulcast on FCS and Root. There is a reason Faison voted against the deal as he knew and made it very aware to other schools how much it would hurt UND.

If the deal was designed to specifically screw UND then it wouldn't have allowed regional broadcasts either.

I don't have cable anymore so I am hindered by my inability to check my tv menu but isn't FCS actually three different 'regional' fox college sports channels? Atlantic and Central pop in my head but I cannot remember??

I do recall that direct tv showed the games on 617 or 623 and that they were alternate channels, ie exta feeds. But I think that was unique to direct tv. I recall being at a friends in the Springs and they got the games on their cable on ONE of the FCS regional channels? Not sure though..

I don't have cable anymore so I am hindered by my inability to check my tv menu but isn't FCS actually three different 'regional' fox college sports channels? Atlantic and Central pop in my head but I cannot remember??

I do recall that direct tv showed the games on 617 or 623 and that they were alternate channels, ie exta feeds. But I think that was unique to direct tv. I recall being at a friends in the Springs and they got the games on their cable on ONE of the FCS regional channels? Not sure though..

The regional titles like Atlantic, Central and Pacific are just titles and aren't specifically regional channels. UND home games have been on all three over the years. They're just a way for FCS to split up all of the content they air onto three channels.

The CBS deal applies to national channels which have been designated for years. The national/regional title isn't something new. CBS clearly wanted exclusivity on national channels, which it got. UND is the only team that gets screwed because UND is the only school that has its games picked up on a national channel on a regular basis, although DU has had some games simulcast on FCS and Root. There is a reason Faison voted against the deal as he knew and made it very aware to other schools how much it would hurt UND.

If the deal was designed to specifically screw UND then it wouldn't have allowed regional broadcasts either.

Still curious how they consider fcs channels national they are actually less available for those that really would like to get them than the actual rsn's. Anyone can sign up for a dish subscription and get all rsn's anywhere in the country. Only those that have access to cable can get the fcs channels.