SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs EWU...GAMEDAY

Oxbow6

Nope. He showed last year that despite being a freshman, there's no law requiring you to play like one

...a whole bunch of stuff including mention of interception, fumble, and accolades

Fair enough. But, truth be told, most freshmen do in fact play like freshmen.

I realize the defense has taken its lumps on here over the last couple of seasons and rightly so. Being where the defense is at right now, coming into this game, if you knew they were only going to give up 28 points to Eastern Washington--wouldn't you think that UND would have a decent shot to win? I know I would have. Yes, it's sad that we are at a point were 28 points is a good performance for our D, but forgetting that- they did nearly everything they could do today, in regards to their abilities. You just got to give yourself a chance...unfortunately our offense is not giving us that chance. The turnovers hurt...a lot.

In regards to the comment about Jake Miller, I agree he is ok, but at this level...not where we need to be. But I don't think our offensive line is where it needs to be either. Jer Garmin, made a couple of nice short yardage runs...I found that odd, but they pulled it off so, what can I really say. But Garmen, I would say is probably more often than not is overmatched at this level of football.

I will be interested to see how the rest of the season plays out. I'll definitely be interested to see what our final plus minus turnover ratio will be at seasons end.

Fair enough. But, truth be told, most freshmen do in fact play like freshmen.

I didn't think joe played like a fr yesterday. He was damn near 75% passing and made great throws and decisions most every time. He had a couple of throws get away from him when his feet weren't set but those moments were far fewer than previous games. He did make a terrible read on the int as he had Hardin on the sideline open about 30 yards down field. Joe was forced to throw the team back into the game and nearly did that. The Golladay fumble was an absolute back breaker and was not on Joe, he had the team marching on that drive. It would have been a totally different game if we score there instead of fumble. Overall I thought Joe had his best game but still has a lot to improve on.

I had forgotten Adams was just a Freshman last year. At what point do we stop saying Mollberg is just a freshman and expect better play? One touchdown complimenting a couple of turnovers won't beat anyone. The pick six was as bad as I've seen all year at any level-guy wasn't open, threw it flat footed. Bad decision, bad technique. Awful.

What he's expected to do is just plain unrealistic. No running game and no defense will never support a young QB. A recent example would be Alex Smith with the San Francisco 49ers; he was crap before John Harbough got there and then be turned into a heck of a QB. Same thing with Mollberg - he's got all the physical tools but he just needs someone to shape his mental game a bit and also put him in a system that utilizes way more of the running game and play-action passing.

Also, thought I'd give a shoutout to Dale Lennon whose squad beat Northern Iowa yesterday. Safe to say, that compared to Mussman, Dale is one heck of a coach/leader.

What he's expected to do is just plain unrealistic. No running game and no defense will never support a young QB. A recent example would be Alex Smith with the San Francisco 49ers; he was crap before John Harbough got there and then be turned into a heck of a QB. Same thing with Mollberg - he's got all the physical tools but he just needs someone to shape his mental game a bit and also put him in a system that utilizes way more of the running game and play-action passing.

Also, thought I'd give a shoutout to Dale Lennon whose squad beat Northern Iowa yesterday. Safe to say, that compared to Mussman, Dale is one heck of a coach/leader

Go back and check the offensive output the last two weeks. With these weapons?

All I'm expecting him to do is step into a throw. How about when a defender is in front of a receiver, and there's one behind the receiver, don't throw it to him? Doesn't seem like unrealistic expectations to me. He's playing with such flawed fundamentals, it seems he still thinks his arm can still bail him out like it did playing those little lakes area schools. I'm starting to wonder if his fundamentals are why the FBS schools didn't offer him.

Of course, with the level of play Adams is at as a sophomore, the rest of the QBs in this league will be stuck in his shadow for quite a while. UND best hope might be developing a running game someday.

Go back and check the offensive output the last two weeks. With these weapons?

All I'm expecting him to do is step into a throw. How about when a defender is in front of a receiver, and there's one behind the receiver, don't throw it to him? Doesn't seem like unrealistic expectations to me. He's playing with such flawed fundamentals, it seems he still thinks his arm can still bail him out like it did playing those little lakes area schools. I'm starting to wonder if his fundamentals are why the FBS schools didn't offer him.

Of course, with the level of play Adams is at as a sophomore, the rest of the QBs in this league will be stuck in his shadow for quite a while. UND best hope might be developing a running game someday.

He's a freshman quarterback on a bad team with horrible leadership - what do you expect? A 10:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio, 70% completion percentage, and a 3000 yard season? Not gonna happen, even with the receivers we have because we can't run the ball and our defense always has us trailing. Mollberg is a physical specimen; he looks the part. Has good size, arm strength, and is mobile; there's nothing wrong with his fundamentals other than an occasional back foot throw and a jump pass here and there. Those mistakes will decrease with experience. Right now, all the issues are between his ears, but that will also improve with time. Be patient when it comes to Joe. It also helps that he will have Jameer Jackson and Kenny Golladay with him the next couple of seasons.

Hopefully, after this season concludes, the ship will be righted and Joe gets some good coaching along with a more stable system that includes a power running game with a play-action passing game.

He's a freshman quarterback on a bad team with horrible leadership - what do you expect? A 10:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio, 70% completion percentage, and a 3000 yard season? Not gonna happen, even with the receivers we have because we can't run the ball and our defense always has us trailing. Mollberg is a physical specimen; he looks the part. Has good size, arm strength, and is mobile; there's nothing wrong with his fundamentals other than an occasional back foot throw and a jump pass here and there. Those mistakes will decrease with experience. Right now, all the issues are between his ears, but that will also improve with time. Be patient when it comes to Joe. It also helps that he will have Jameer Jackson and Kenny Golladay with him the next couple of seasons.

Hopefully, after this season concludes, the ship will be righted and Joe gets some good coaching along with a more stable system that includes a power running game with a play-action passing game.

Honestly the defense did their part yesterday. The offense hurt them a few times that lead to scores. They gave up 28 points to an offense that absolutely torched a good Oregon St team. I'm starting to get a little hope in the defense, Kotelnicki is starting to get these guys to play. With how the defense played yesterday we should have one. It's the offense's turn to improve next game.

Other than the interception, I thought Mollberg looked really good and he's the QB we should continue to roll with.

73.3% and 355 is pretty damn good. We just need him to get rid of the pick six and couple bad throws and get a couple TDs which probably would have happened had there not been the fumbles. He's starting to come around.

Honestly the defense did their part yesterday. The offense hurt them a few times that lead to scores. They gave up 28 points to an offense that absolutely torched a good Oregon St team. I'm starting to get a little hope in the defense, Kotelnicki is starting to get these guys to play. With how the defense played yesterday we should have one. It's the offense's turn to improve next game.

I agree that the defense looked much better, but if the offense and defense don't complement each other, it won't matter. Turnovers killed the offense yesterday, and that's been an issue all season thus far.

And also, I should mention that even though I think the defense looked better, they still need to improve. Still some big plays given up here and there. And it's best we don't jump to any conclusions; need to see this defense consistently look stout for a good stretch of games before I'm sold. That starts next week vs. Sac State. Hope the turnover problem is also fixed for next weekend.

I agree that the defense looked much better, but if the offense and defense don't complement each other, it won't matter. Turnovers killed the offense yesterday, and that's been an issue all season thus far.

That pick 6 was just an absolute killer, if UND could have even kicked a FG on that drive it would have kept some momentum going, after that it was catch-up the rest of the game. It's really a shame the way it went, if you didn't watch the game and looked at the score this morning you would think UND was never in it, in reality 2 plays did them in the second half.

I hope you are right about the defense. But I am still in wait-and-see mode. Will they go back to getting torched next week? Will Zach Bouman shred them for 300 yards in a couple of weeks? We'll just have to wait and see.

With 3 mins left in the 3rd qtr the score was 12-14 EWU. UND driving to the 22 yd line. a chop block by Walker put us 3 and long. Joe throws a pick six. 2 players made contact but no one help bring the EWU player down. Now 28-14. The next set od down, UND driving again and Golladay fumbles. EWU capitalized on the mistake.

The defense gave up 2 deep balls. one by Baylee on the 3rd and 2. He let a TE behind him. and of course a PF by MacKey which extended a drive that led to a TD.

Our Offense lost the game with TO and PF. Defense did their part.