SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

I do kinda like that.

For the rumor about Mussman going to SU (which has to be ludicrous doesn't it? ...doesn't it?), offenses we had were pretty good with him. Let's assume the new coach is Bubba (there's worse bets in the world right now), Bubba obviously knows Muss, any chance he's the OC. I know it would be unbelievably odd, but his kids go to school here. I think he genuinely really liked it here. idk... He's gonna be an OC somewhere probably.... just throwing it out there

if muss had named himself oc last year he might still have a job....

I do kinda like that.

For the rumor about Mussman going to SU (which has to be ludicrous doesn't it? ...doesn't it?), offenses we had were pretty good with him. Let's assume the new coach is Bubba (there's worse bets in the world right now), Bubba obviously knows Muss, any chance he's the OC. I know it would be unbelievably odd, but his kids go to school here. I think he genuinely really liked it here. idk... He's gonna be an OC somewhere probably.... just throwing it out there

I'd say no to Muss as OC. Was he a good OC? Yes, but the new coach will not want there to be any question about who the real head coach is. "Need a clean break and can't go back to being just friends."

There is no doubt that he wanted to avoid a circus at all costs. It would have been bad for recruiting and distracting for the team that is still competing in the playoffs.

But he did wait a week before naming a coach, not sure he really panicked. I actually thought he handled the whole thing very well.

As far as waiting a week before naming him, I'm guessing most of that was spent on contract negotiations and getting all the pieces lined up (which could take a while when the coach is attempting to prepare for a playoff game at the same time). He handled it pretty well publicly, which is what's important.

Would you rather have a long tenured head coach that puts a good, not great, team on the field? Competitive almost every year, maybe a conference title or three, playoff appearances but no national championships? Or would you prefer a coach who, because he brings conference championships and national championships to UND, is gone to bigger and better things like Wyoming in 5 or 10 years?

Is this the choice facing Faison and UND at this point? The question seems relevant. Schweigert, according to gfhockey, bleeds green and the UND head coaching position is his dream job. There is little to no reason to doubt him, his sources have been pretty good so far. DeBoer would be using UND as a stepping stone (same source), but since he has 3 national championships under his belt in 4 years (albeit NAIA), the upside potential seems greater.

In five years, we aren't going to be saying, "If only UND had hired a coach three days earlier!" It's going to be all about hiring the right guy. -- Brad Schlossman, Grand Forks Herald

Was that before or after his usual and customary "hot goalie" comment? ;)

I kid...I kid...

I know if bubba doesn't get it...might be a lot of pissed of alumni with deep pockets...Faison will feel the wrath of that...

IMO is deboer gets it and performs like the SIU offense (poorly), deboer gets canned along with Faison as Faison made wrong choice.

and ray purpur comes back to save the day

In five years, we aren't going to be saying, "If only UND had hired a coach three days earlier!" It's going to be all about hiring the right guy. -- Brad Schlossman, Grand Forks Herald

If the new coach is a trainwreck, you can bet a lot of people will go back and cite to the hiring process as part of the problem.

But even if the coach is a success and everyone forgets about the process, it doesn't mean that the policy is good, or that it is justification for not changing the policy. The A.D. needs to have more flexibility. Sometimes is might make sense to take your time. Other times, it will make more sense to make a quick hire.

Plus, the statement is largely meaningless because we don't know, and probably never will know, what might have happened if the process didn't dictate a long drawn-out process. We may never know what Faison might have been able to do with the kind of flexibility afforded to the Boise State A.D., for example.

and ray purpur comes back to save the day

Dude, at least live in the realm of possibilities: Ray Purpur is going to retire at The Farm, not come back and run UND. He has it made out there.

I'll go on record now and say there is a better chance of Tim Tibesar or Brooks Bollinger being UND's head football coach one day than there is of Ray Purpur ever being UND's AD.

So for the young and uneducated (that's me) explain to me about each coach ( I know a little about DeBoer but not Bubba), what type of offense and defense schemes are run. Why should 1 get the job over the other. I have read a lot of stuff between both and I am looking for a bottom line reason why

Dude, at least live in the realm of possibilities: Ray Purpur is going to retire at The Farm, not come back and run UND. He has it made out there.

Didn't he not even apply when we had hired Faison? Why would he a few years from now???

Throw gfhockey on preposterous statement of the year.

I know if bubba doesn't get it...might be a lot of pissed of alumni with deep pockets...Faison will feel the wrath of that...

IMO is deboer gets it and performs like the SIU offense (poorly), deboer gets canned along with Faison as Faison made wrong choice.

Your sources also told there would be a hire last Wednesday and then Friday and also there was five finalists not two. I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Also, what if Bubba's defenses perform like they have at SIU, poorly and worse than DeBoer's offenses?

I'll support whoever the choice is and am excited for them to return it back to where it belongs.