SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

So people are pissed that it's these two for the job...why? Their record at UND is 0-0. Let's wait until the end of the 2014 season and evaluate if this team is headed towards the top or stuck in the cellar.

I personally am disappointed with the outcome because of the sales pitch by the AD this was going to be a "Nation-wide Search" and we end up with two guys that everyone on this board with a minimal amount of coaching/football/recruiting experience have already chosen. Add to this the drawn out process supposedly created to ensure no mishaps or mis-hires for this position as well as losing key talent from last year because of the lack of speed in the process. If we are going to be champions, then we need to act like champions...did this whole process leave anyone feeling like we are thinking like champions? Again, given this outcome I hope the Hockey program keeps their coach for the next 10-15 years...

• Upvote 2

Very, very interesting.......

Head coach job is no longer posted on UND's website.....but an opening for an Assistant Coach was posted yesterday.

I'd assume that means expect an announcement soon as a decision has been made. Bubba or DeBoer?

I notice it says "Assistant Coach - Football" rather than plural "Coaches" I assume the new head coach will need multiple assistant coaches to fill-out the staff and most of them will be external hires. I wonder under UND's convoluted hiring process whether multiple assistant coaches can be hired under one assistant coach listing, or if each assistant coaching position is going to have to be separately listed? My guess is the latter, which begs the question why is only one listed? We need to get the 15-business day posting requirement ticking immediately. In fact, these could have been posted a week or two ago so that the new coach could hire right away.

I think everybody needs to just see what happens in the next 48 hours. I don't know anything not trying to come off as I do. I just think by Friday the two apparent finalist aren't going to be the one announced. Atleast that's what I'm hoping. Not that these two are bad choices for the position, They just needed to be hired last week if they are the ones hired.

I notice it says "Assistant Coach - Football" rather than plural "Coaches" I assume the new head coach will need multiple assistant coaches to fill-out the staff and most of them will be external hires. I wonder under UND's convoluted hiring process whether multiple assistant coaches can be hired under one assistant coach listing, or if each assistant coaching position is going to have to be separately listed? My guess is the latter, which begs the question why is only one listed? We need to get the 15-business day posting requirement ticking immediately.

Again, this begs the question....

Why weren't the assistant coach positions listed at the same time as the head coach to avoid any issues with the 'process' and HR? Why?

I absolutely do not understand the lack of planning and vision on this. Even if you keep 2 guys on in the interim, you can still list every other position, literally.

Then a head coach can have his staff in place and not have to tell them they have to wait for the HR crap.

• Upvote 3

Why weren't the assistant coach positions listed at the same time as the head coach to avoid any issues with the 'process' and HR? Why?

I absolutely do not understand the lack of planning and vision on this. Even if you keep 2 guys on in the interim, you can still list every other position, literally.

Then a head coach can have his staff in place and not have to tell them they have to wait for the HR crap.

And doesn't Faison know the coach will need more than one assistant coach? It's like he's never hired anyone before!?!?!

Football Scoop is reporting that Bubba and DeBoer are the two finalists.

I've spent a lot of time around the Saluki program the past 6 years; and first met Bubba in the late 70's.

Either one would be a solid choice. I think Bubba might win more games the first year or two, but Kalen would have a higher ceiling.

Neither of them should show up without bringing Eric "The Beerman" Schmidt along!

I will 100% support either Bubba or DeBoer. I also think both would do an excellent job for UND and get football relevant again.

That being said, I would want to know the details behind Faison's timing, specifically delay or amount of time it has taken...especially when you see kids leaving the program, kids that maybe could have been saved if HC was announced when it should have been done...11th or 12th at the latest. If there was a legit reason for this delay (i.e. trying to land late super star) then fine, time to move on. But, if the delay was purely on him for 1) not being prepared and/or 2) failing to act as quickly as he should have acted then I have serious reservations about his capabilities to lead an athletic department.

So if Kalen gets hired would he hire Bubba as DC? Flip side, if Bubba gets hired does Kalen take the OC job?

Regardless, I still want answers as to why this "nationwide" search took so long if either of these guys is hired. (FWIW I am not against hiring either of these guys)

BTW...one of my buddies has an extra ticket to Friday's SU semi game and I'm gonna go. I long to watch in person a top notch FB team and program so I might as well take advantage of the freebie.

From what I have seen during this hiring process with Faison as the lead man, I don't think I'll witness what I'll watch Friday at the Alerus anytime soon...........

I will 100% support either Bubba or DeBoer. I also think both would do an excellent job for UND and get football relevant again.

That being said, I would want to know the details behind Faison's timing, specifically delay or amount of time it has taken...especially when you see kids leaving the program, kids that maybe could have been saved if HC was announced when it should have been done...11th or 12th at the latest. If there was a legit reason for this delay (i.e. trying to land late super star) then fine, time to move on. But, if the delay was purely on him for 1) not being prepared and/or 2) failing to act as quickly as he should have acted then I have serious reservations about his capabilities to lead an athletic department.

Spot on, beat me to the punch there.

I just want this program to bottom out so it can start improving. Once a coach is hired is the program at a low point or does it go lower? How much more pain must we go through?

Apparently we will endure the pain if we don't have to do anything new. If Bubba doesn't work out there are several more coaches on Lennon's staff when he was here to go through.

• Upvote 1

BTW...one of my buddies has an extra ticket to Friday's SU semi game and I'm gonna go. I long to watch in person a top notch FB team and program so I might as well take advantage of the freebie.

From what I have seen during this hiring process with Faison as the lead man, I don't think I'll witness what I'll watch Friday at the Alerus anytime soon...........

Well, you better soak it up then. Because you will never see that again, right?

Don't be that guy.

38 days to hire Lennon. 30 days to hire Jones. This is day 30. Why do people think it should be so much quicker this particular time?

Seriously? Please stop with this. One of these 2 could have been hired the day after the deadline. Not like BF used his connections on this one...probably just asked Muss his thoughts as they were swapping tissues!

• Upvote 1

Great question and one that the media HAS to ask Faison. At least get the stupid posting requirement out of the way so the only thing the new head coach has to deal with when assembling his staff is the stupid HR points system and interview requirements.

The only explanation I can think of is that he wanted the new coach to be able to tailor the job description to the candidates he wanted, i.e. what Hakstol did when he re-hired Brad Berry, But IMO, that is not even close to a good enough reason to waste three weeks (15 business days) before assistant coaches can be hired, particularly since signing day is Feb. 5 and you'd think it would be better to have assistant coaches in place asap for recruiting purposes.

This is really a head-scratcher. Siouxjoy - can you think of any way the new head coach won't have to wait for the 15 business days to be able to hire his assistants (other than hiring internally)?