SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

The only dogshit program at UND is men's tennis. A good coach is a good coach but not a miracle worker, sometimes to get a good job you need to pay your dues at a less than desirable one. Think Denny Green at prairie view.

We aspired to be mediocre this year.

Besides Pflugrad, Who of the applicants is currently "lighting it up"?

took another look at the Army OC Ian Shields:

http://www.goarmyspo...elds_ian00.html

Head coach Rich Ellerson named Ian Shields Army's offensive coordinator in January 2009. ...

Since Shields's arrival, Army has not ranked lower than 16th in the nation in rushing, producing three top 10 finishes. His offenses have accounted for three of the program's 12 most productive seasons on the ground in terms of yardage and touchdowns, and three of the Black Knights' top 16 rushing games have come in the last four seasons. Three of the four units that Shields has coached since his arrival have finished among the Black Knights' all-time top 10 in total offensive yardage.

took another look at the Army OC Ian Shields:

http://www.goarmyspo...elds_ian00.html

He is currently unemployed. After Army's embarrassing loss to Navy on Saturday, Army HC Rich Ellerson was fired. Shields should not get consideration in my opinion.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10143713/army-black-knights-fire-coach-rich-ellerson-five-years

I wonder how the applicants that are still employed at other universities are enjoying the snail's pace hiring process... I would think they feel an obligation to their current employer to not leave them hanging in limbo forever. And they are perhaps feeling a little pressure as well.

I would not be surprised to see named withdrawn soon. Add to that the applicants who accept positions at other universities, and the end result may be choosing between chuckthepigskin and mr. Subway.

It's up to the football coach to institute campus policy on sexual assault? My question would be why is the campus OPS, which is in charge of trafficking these instances, not reporting them efficiently or why is the University president not doing anything to address them, these were just the tail-end of many assaults which have come to light after the investigation?

My feeling on this deal is these kind of things were commonplace on the UM campus and weren't taken seriously at the top...then when the high-profile football team became involved and the media became more enlightened with the sheer numbers it became a high-priority issue and somebody was going to take the fall for it. Dennison was already gone so anybody in administration was off the hook, Engstrom came in and fired the next best option, the AD O'Day who admittedly knew more about the violations than Pflugrad did, but Pflugrad was let go too even though virtually nobody here believes he should have been.

I can't say what he did or told his team after the gang rape allegations, UM instituted a sexual awareness program after the assaults which students have to complete before they can register for their next semester, a 7 video series I believe. That probably should have happened a couple years earlier. The only thing I can look at is the only incident involving the football team since Dec. 2010 is the Johnson fiasco which was a joke, and neither Hauck's or Pflu's recruits have been involved in anything since so I have to assume he got it through their heads, really with the exception of one of our DB's knocking down a traffic sign in downtown Missoula after a game this year the team has been model citizens since then.

I don't think he's going to get hired at UND, I just feel he should have his side presented in fairness.

Of course it isn't up to the coach to implement sexual assault policies for the campus. But when there were huge problems on his team, he didn't do much of anything about it. In the same way Hakstal made all of his team members attend alcohol education classes after last year's incident, it seems reasonable to expect a coach to do something similar. There were clearly far larger problems at Montana from the police to top level of admins. That, however, doesn't change the fact that there were problems on the football team and Pflugrad didn't seem overly concerned by it.

I've read a lot of articles trying to find something where Pflugrad acknowledges a problem and/or says what he did about it. I haven't found anything that puts him in a positive light. His responses seem overly defensive. I stand by my original claim, with the information that is available, an AD would be crazy to take a chance with him.

Of course it isn't up to the coach to implement sexual assault policies for the campus. But when there were huge problems on his team, he didn't do much of anything about it. In the same way Hakstal made all of his team members attend alcohol education classes after last year's incident, it seems reasonable to expect a coach to do something similar. There were clearly far larger problems at Montana from the police to top level of admins. That, however, doesn't change the fact that there were problems on the football team and Pflugrad didn't seem overly concerned by it.

I've read a lot of articles trying to find something where Pflugrad acknowledges a problem and/or says what he did about it. I haven't found anything that puts him in a positive light. His responses seem overly defensive. I stand by my original claim, with the information that is available, an AD would be crazy to take a chance with him.

In my opinion, your claims are unrealistic and biased. There's only so much a head football coach can do on and off a campus. Yes, there are programs that could've been initiated to try and combat the issue at hand, but even that is no guarantee to work. For example, education programs on sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), such as AIDS, have nationally existed now for decades and STDs are certainly still a problem. Albeit STD transmission is not always associated with a crime, the same principal exists in that education problems do not lead to entire eradication.

I hope you are just trying to make sense of why Pflugrad is not being considered at UND, or taking the stance you are taking for argument's sake, because otherwise you are shining an unnecessary, wrongful light on Pflugrad. There's only so much a coach can do. By no means did Pflugrad meaningly promote asexual assault or compliance incoherence. Some things are out of people's hands, whether you like to believe or not. In my opinion, Pflugrad deserves a second chance and it should be with UND. With that said, I don't think he ends up here.

• Upvote 1

Take this for what it's worth, but in the "comments" section of the most recent SFI blog entry, they are saying they believe it will come down to Bubba and DeBoer. And Caruso was apparently never contacted. I can only assume it was due to his lack of division I experience.

So it has also been rumored that DeBoer was asked to apply. Does anyone know if Bubba was "asked" to apply?

He repeated this again recently...

Bubba ran a successful DII defense within a successful DII program and now runs an average DI defense within an average DI program. Add two years of 500 coaching at a DII school and apparently you have the frontrunner for our head coaching opening. Unbelievable.

• Upvote 1

According to http://dailyegyptian...iu-salary-data/

Schweigert makes approximately $87,000 a year at SIU. Would be smart to only offer him around a $150,000 base salary with incentives that could potentially take him over $200,000. Let the saved value be distributed to the assistants, so we can hire quality DI offensive assistants to accompany Schweigert and presumably Schmidt.

87K? Why the hell did he leave Duluth?Does he not like being the head man?

I dont know what he was making at Duluh, but it couldnt have been much less. Thats a big red flag for me.

EDIT: Nevermind he was only making 48k at Duluth. Yeesh.

Bubba ran a successful DII defense within a successful DII program and now runs an average DI defense within an average DI program. Add two years of 500 coaching at a DII school and apparently you have the frontrunner for our head coaching opening. Unbelievable.

Lennon had a slightly above .500 record in two years as HC at an NAIA school before taking over at North Dakota. Worked out rather well IMO.

I think Bubba would be a solid hire. My biggest worry with him is the staff he would put together. Like UND-FB-FAN said, they need to pony up for the assistant salaries, regardless of who the HC is going to be.