SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

I'll be pretty disappointed if we go through this "process" and end up with Bubba - a guy whose head coaching record as a DII coach is average at best and whose current job performance is mediocre. His only success was here 10 years ago as a DII coordinator. We have a rare opportunity to take our program to the next level and apparently have had our "HR" department eliminate the best candidate. It's like we can't stay out of our own way.

Pflugrad is not in the top 9. To be fair, he never had a shot like I had been trying to say all along. Right, wrong or indifferent, that was the case and I can certainly understand it. Weber State did pass on him too, that's confirmed.

Jeff Mills? I have no interest in hiring a head coach who was just forced out as DC from New Mexico by Bob Davie. None.

2013 New Mexico Defense:

- 43 ppg allowed

- 257 rushing ypg allowed

- 259 passing ypg allowed

- 516 total ypg allowed

Although I do realize there is a rich history and winning tradition for their football program down there. ???

I know many people on here are very concerned about the hiring and decision making process for a variety of reasons, some of which is justifiable.

If Jeff Mills is in the 'final 9' then I have absolutely zero faith in this whole process.

Mills may not be in your final 9 or final 3, but his credentials and experience should qualify him from a points list. He certainly has FBS and even BCS experience.

Also agree that Dewitt should be in the mix.

Why go with Lennon 3.0 when Lennon 2.0 was such a failure?

edit:

Why go with Lennon 3.0 1.3 when Lennon 2.0 1.2 was such a failure?

Has he even shown interest?

Not that I know, but hoping maybe he was laying low waiting on NDSU situation? Also trying to continue my "Faison knows what he is doing" self discipline. Sure hope Faison is calling him right now though, as I know many talk highly about him within NDSU...great recruiter, smooth, etc.

I'll be pretty disappointed if we go through this "process" and end up with Bubba - a guy whose head coaching record as a DII coach is average at best and whose current job performance is mediocre. His only success was here 10 years ago as a DII coordinator. We have a rare opportunity to take our program to the next level and apparently have had our "HR" department eliminate the best candidate. It's like we can't stay out of our own way.

Off the points system Bubba doesn't strike FBS or NFL...not sure how he could be the choice

Mills may not be in your final 9 or final 3, but his credentials and experience should qualify him from a points list. He certainly has FBS and even BCS experience.

Also agree that Dewitt should be in the mix.

Why go with Lennon 3.0 when Lennon 2.0 was such a failure?

Why is Bubba responsible for Mussman's failures? With so many coaches on a staff, you can't lump everyone together...good or bad. Bubba was at UND, with success, long before Mussman showed up.

Not that I know, but hoping maybe he was laying low waiting on NDSU situation? Also trying to continue my "Faison knows what he is doing" self discipline. Sure hope Faison is calling him right now though, as I know many talk highly about him within NDSU...great recruiter, smooth, etc.

I know Faison called Klieman early on and was respectfully declined. He is calling the right people.

Central Michigan offensive coordinator Mike Cummings should be in the top 9. I wouldn't be too disappointed if he got it.

I asked CMU fans about him and they didn't really have much to say. They didn't know much about him other than he did coach Eric Fisher. He is the OC there but he does not call the plays.

The fact that the job description ended up being a Hail Mary pass for Tibesar is another troubling point on a growing list...

If true, this is puzzling. All it would have taken is a simple phone call to Tibesar or his agent or whomever to gauge whether there was any interest whatsoever. If the answer was "no", move on. That call should have been made before the job was even posted, which makes the inclusion of the "strong NFL preference" language strange--unless some other person who hasn't technically applied yet and who fits this description ends up getting the job.

That really has been bothering me. Unless he had reason to believe Tiber would take it and was mislead. Otherwise that is a significant problem.

Agreed. Although, I think that Tibesar as an UND alum, former player & coach would not mislead Faison. Tibesar is a very intelligent guy, he would not go around giving false hope to the AD at his alma mater. You would think Faison & Tibesar had conversations to gauge his interest. If Tibesar was interested, he would have known he would be one of the "clubhouse leaders" & I just don't think he strings Faison along like that. The fact that the job description was designed to his skill set & qualifications and he never even formally applied is definitely a problem.

EDIT: Didn't see UND92,96 post above this when I typed, but basically same premise...

Thank you for justifying why this whole process is a joke.

There is absolutely no way that Jeff Mills should be considered if anyone with a brain does their research on him. None.

"Hey this guy has a TON of experience and credentials at the FBS level....he's not been very successful and has been all over because of his lack of success, but WOW look at that resume....he gets an extra 'check' from me"

Was defensive Player of the year at Northern Michigan and also has some pro experience at Saints training camp and AFL. He is familiar with the area as he coached at Northern Iowa for 3 years. Has coached everywhere on the defensive side of the ball and has had a lot of success at the FCS level. Most importantly he likes to keep it simple. He coaches a quick defense with sound positioning and tackling. He is also somewhat young and energetic....to me the guy just has the it factor. He would bring UND football back to what it should be and what made the defense a force for so many years.

Did a little research myself. Without knowing his personality and "background", I'd say at minimum, he is definitely worth looking at as a legit candidate.

Thank you for justifying why this whole process is a joke.

There is absolutely no way that Jeff Mills should be considered if anyone with a brain does their research on him. None.

"Hey this guy has a TON of experience and credentials at the FBS level....he's not been very successful and has been all over because of his lack of success, but WOW look at that resume....he gets an extra 'check' from me"

Vince, do you think it's going to be someone in the app pile, or a late entrant that we don't know about?

As mentioned previously I heard thru a decent source the app description was set up for Tibs. Was his job if he wanted it but Faison could of had that answer after the Cats game...

To say I'm disappointed in this hiring process at this point is an understatement.

Stupid...I'm done with this laughingstock of an athletic program. I'm beginning to think Faison wouldn't know a good coach if he jumped up and bit him in the ass.

Why don't we just let it play out. Everything we have heard so far has came from people's "sources". Now I am not saying they aren't good sources but just let it play out. Faison has proven before that he has a good eye for coaches that build programs.