SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

So just to be clear:

You equate confidence with a personal habit

You think a person need to verbally say to the media that they take the blame after every loss to be a leader

Showing emotion on the sidelines is the only way you can tell if a coach is a good leader

A coach not talking to you mean he isn't personable and has an ego problem.

Sideline discipline issues by freshmen meanshe has no respect from the players

Wearing ear buds means a person can't relate to players, fans and alumni

Not recruiting North Dakota to other's expectations means they can't access player talent

Recruiting CA, AZ and TX is just plain wrong.

Sorry but what I posted is what has been shared on this site. no need to FYP - no bitterness here - talk about bitterness there is an entire thread fueled by it, I'm ready to move on and I didn't need to make fun of the players or coaches to get there. I was just revisiting what has been posted. I'll be there at every game just like I have been throughout the transition.

Mrs. Mussman (oh and please share how this being posted during the discussions wasn't based on bitterness and mean-spiritedness).

No single one of these points are taken in a vacuum. All of them, in conjunction with an awful product on the field and overall losing record after this length of time makes each one of those things stand out.

If he wins, no one cares what he does with his hair, or if he wears earbuds, or any of the rest of it.

So just to be clear:

You equate confidence with a personal habit

You think a person need to verbally say to the media that they take the blame after every loss to be a leader

Showing emotion on the sidelines is the only way you can tell if a coach is a good leader

A coach not talking to you mean he isn't personable and has an ego problem.

Sideline discipline issues by freshmen meanshe has no respect from the players

Wearing ear buds means a person can't relate to players, fans and alumni

Not recruiting North Dakota to other's expectations means they can't access player talent

Recruiting CA, AZ and TX is just plain wrong.

Sorry but what I posted is what has been shared on this site. no need to FYP - no bitterness here - talk about bitterness there is an entire thread fueled by it, I'm ready to move on and I didn't need to make fun of the players or coaches to get there. I was just revisiting what has been posted. I'll be there at every game just like I have been throughout the transition.

Mrs. Mussman (oh and please share how this being posted during the discussions wasn't based on bitterness and mean-spiritedness).

is this my wife?...I swear...I never knew you were a fan! Uncanny ability to turn things around and play the victim...... :whistling:

If he would have won nobody would have cared wtf he did!

The "Mrs. Mussman?" was meant as a joke at the time, but I can see how it came across as mean-spirited and for that I apologize. This thread is fueled by a desire to see UND performing well on the field. Now that a change is in the works, this thread has even more relevance for fans, as we get together and speculate on who the AD may be looking at. No, these conversations won't affect the AD's decision, but neither does anything else discussed on SiouxSports. It's simply a place for fans to communicate, cheer, and vent. I don't recall anyone making fun of the players, but I do recall some inappropriate remarks being made about Coach Mussman and that is regrettable (although most of the remarks were regarding his style on the sidelines and as the face of the football program, rather than his personal life). I don't believe most of the fans here are "bitter" towards Coach Mussman, we were simply disappointed with how the team was performing under his leadership. Faison relieved Coach Mussman of his duties for the same reasons most fans were calling for him to be fired, and it wasn't out of bitterness. I'm not sure why you're taking the firing so personally, but this was simply a business decision and a move to make the team better in the future.

I'm really looking forward to being able to have positive constructive discussions on UND football, I did not take it personal I have no connections to anyone within the administration - I live 220 miles from Grand Forks, just tired of the negativity and yes there were definitely instances of making fun of student-athletes and coaches - I don't have time to go back and find them but they were there. Ready to move forward who's going to start the "Looking ahead to 2014" thread.

is this my wife?...I swear...I never knew you were a fan! Uncanny ability to turn things around and play the victim...... :whistling:

If he would have won nobody would have cared wtf he did!

Just stating facts. based on your comment perhaps you should be spending more time with your wife and perhaps a counselor. :whistling:

Thanks, I noticed the deadline is December 10, that's pretty quick so they must be hoping someone is watching and ready to pounce. I hope they get at least a couple really good prospects.

What was Mussman making this year, I see the minimum is 150 but I'm sure for the right guy that could increase?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured out it had to be around $120. based on the buyout, so they are at least pricing themselves more in line with others. One thing I hope they do is put an attendance incentive in the contract, I believe that will lead to some proactive action to get butts in the seats.

Thanks, I noticed the deadline is December 10, that's pretty quick so they must be hoping someone is watching and ready to pounce. I hope they get at least a couple really good prospects.

What was Mussman making this year, I see the minimum is 150 but I'm sure for the right guy that could increase?

yeah... I think minimum is a key wording there

By the time he has the experience you're talking about, he'll be out of our league. Buy low

This brings up an interesting question. A lot of people are harping on the experience issue with Bollinger. Given a choice between a younger FBS coach who appears to be on the upswing, but who is relatively inexperienced, or somebody with significant FBS experience, but no demonstrated ability to get an FBS coordinator or lower-level head coaching job, which would you choose? I'd go with the younger guy from FBS, OR somebody with a proven head coaching track record from a lower division such as Caruso. I'm leery of a career FBS position coach. And I strongly suspect there will be a lot of them who apply.

I think Brooks is a good fit. He can walk into any living room in ND, SD, MN, WI, IA and they will know him. He grew talking to his father D2 FB coach his whole life. How many conversations did he have with his father on strategy at college level while he was in HS. Start 4 yrs at QB FBS Wisconsin. 6 yrs NFL. Recruiting will be very tough this season and I think Brooks would command attention.

Oh ya only two years as position coach.

Brooks is smart and he will hire the right staff and the check will be there to get them.

I not saying he is going to be coach, but UND would be getting a winner. Brooks is a gamer for sure.

I sure Faison has a number of candidate in mind and Brooks is probably one and only one of them.

I think we will get the coach we need to move forward to the top tier of FCS.

• Upvote 1

The possibility of Bollinger reminds me a lot of the Minnesota b-ball coaching search & hiring of Richard Pitino last spring.

Many said Richard Pitino was too young, not enough experience yet (only head coach at FIU 1 yr), etc, etc.

Speculation is that Pitino probably isn't ready for Big 10 hoops this early in his career, but Minnesota's only chance to get him was now. 1 or 2 more years & Pitino possibly would be on to bigger & better things at a major college hoops program.

I see this as UND's window of opportunity w/ Brooks Bollinger... In a few years, he will be on to bigger & better things. So, is it worth taking a chance on a young up & comer? I think so. First year may have some growing pains & be an adjustment year, but he could be a phenomenal head coach in a year or 2.

• Upvote 2