SiouxSports.com Forum

Vikings

Fetch

31 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Walsh shanked one but don't let AP off the hook. Bad fumble late and in a bad weather game when the Vikings needed him badly to be a top tier NFL RB he was not good when he did hang onto the ball. 

Walsh has to make that field goal but you're right Peterson had another costly turnover in another playoff game at a time when you needed a drive to take some of the momentum back from Seattle. I would've liked to see more of McKinnon today as Seattle was having a tough time matching up with him and let Teddy throw it a few more times but Norv stuck with the run even with 8-9 in the box. At times Peterson can be very frustrating as sometimes he gets caught trying to look for a TD on every touch and ends up losing yards instead of taking the 3-4 yard gain that was there.

1 minute ago, SiouxScore said:

Walsh has to make that field goal but you're right Peterson had another costly turnover in another playoff game at a time when you needed a drive to take some of the momentum back from Seattle. I would've liked to see more of McKinnon today as Seattle was having a tough time matching up with him and let Teddy throw it a few more times but Norv stuck with the run even with 8-9 in the box. At times Peterson can be very frustrating as sometimes he gets caught trying to look for a TD on every touch and ends up losing yards instead of taking the 3-4 yard gain that was there.

And he almost fumbled it on the very next offensive play!!! ??? I was yelling at the TV "One more fumble and AP needs to sit his butt on the bench". :angry:

16 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

I was saying to go for the TD on 1st down there too rather than just running to set up a FG just because I didn't trust Walsh but would have kicked the FG when it got to 4th down. It was a short kick that Walsh gets paid to make and has to make no excuses. Game changed with the scramble play and then Wilson being able to pick on Robinson who is a horrible CB because Newman and Waynes were both hurt. You follow that up with Peterson fumbling on the next drive and all the momentum is gone from the Vikes.

Vikings had lots of other plays that coulda have been made too like the weird play when Wilson missed the snap and then hit the guy downfield to give them life, Peterson fumble, Sendejo not coming up with the interception when he got the chance, letting Wilson escape 3-4 guys a couple times to throw the ball away rather than get him for a 10 yd sack. Couple other tougher plays that they had a chance at to with McKinnon not being able to make the grab in the 1st half down the seam after being held by Chancellor and Diggs not coming up with the jump ball deep shot.

This team should have won today and who knows how far they would have went but it definitely wasn't a perfect team. Lots of areas that need to be improved in the offseason like a safety to pair with Smith, the OL, and a good WR that you can pair with Diggs.

You either have to go for it, or trust your kicker.  If you go for it on first down by passing and the pass is incomplete, then you leave over a minute for Russell Wilson to get into field goal range for a game winner.  

On 1/4/2016 at 8:11 AM, The Sicatoka said:

I think GB got the better of the game last night and here's why:

Now Minnesota has to host Seattle (only KC is hotter) and GB goes to the best of the mess called the NFC Least (Washington). Seems like a pretty good outcome for GB. 

If GB would have won, they'd have had to beat a team three times in a season (and that's not an easy task). 

On 1/4/2016 at 2:49 PM, The Sicatoka said:

I'll say it again:

Would you rather (a) be preparing to host SEA, or (b) getting ready to visit WAS? 

GB got a loss that was a victory. 

:whistling:

19 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

:whistling:

I don't think there's a football fan anywhere that didn't think differently about the first round playoff situation. 

But, that said, if it's the last week of the regular season and you're playing for the division title, yet you are afraid of who your first round opponent may be, at HOME, you're probably not superbowl worthy anyway.

A lot of what ifs, but suppose the Vikings won yesterday.  Then they go into Arizona and avenge that close loss earlier this season.   And Rodgers pulls of a miracle in Carolina.  Suddenly the Vikings are hosting the NFC Championship game in two weeks. 

I'll put down the crack pipe now.  But as Herm Edwards would say, there's reasons "you play to win the game". 

Skol Vikings!   Next Year's Team Since 1961.    

• Upvote 1

The Vikings are trending up as far as their future goes regardless of the missed FG yesterday.  If Teddy Two Gloves continues to improve with the defense they have assembled they'll be in the mix for years to come.

10 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The defense is not a problem right now. OL and WR need serious upgrading.

The defense is very solid but we need a safety to start opposite Smith and I would put that as one of our bigger needs behind OL/WR. Sendejo shouldn't be a starting safety and there really aren't any good options on the team to fill a spot that has been a weakness for about 3-4 years now.

18 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

The defense is very solid but we need a safety to start opposite Smith and I would put that as one of our bigger needs behind OL/WR. Sendejo shouldn't be a starting safety and there really aren't any good options on the team to fill a spot that has been a weakness for about 3-4 years now.

Well, with Spielman's skill in stockpiling draft picks, I think we can fill whatever needs we have.

40 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The defense is not a problem right now. OL and WR need serious upgrading.

I'll defend my position on the defense:

The D is not a problem yes, but as SiouxScore explained we need to upgrade the safety position alongside Smith.

As for the other 2:  It is always good to keep building depth at that spot (plus outside of everything else being solid (QB, RB, etc) I had to name two others :p)

LB might be an issue is Greenway changes his mind and hangs it up.  I expect Waynes to start opposite Rhodes next year in the secondary.

I expect a major overhaul on the O-line.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'll defend my position on the defense:

The D is not a problem yes, but as SiouxScore explained we need to upgrade the safety position alongside Smith.

As for the other 2:  It is always good to keep building depth at that spot (plus outside of everything else being solid (QB, RB, etc) I had to name two others :p)

LB might be an issue is Greenway changes his mind and hangs it up.  I expect Waynes to start opposite Rhodes next year in the secondary.

I expect a major overhaul on the O-line.

They should have Loadholt and Sullivan back, which should help, but they obviously need to have better depth.  

8 minutes ago, Fetch said:

Winning the NFC North is a great accomplishment 

We have a lot to look forward to

No offense but fans need to get over "winning" a division in the NFL.  Granted one can buy a cool t-shirt to celebrate the division championship but getting in the playoffs is all that matters. Now winning a division to secure a first round bye is a plus.  How many division winners won this past weekend?

10 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

No offense but fans need to get over "winning" a division in the NFL.  Granted one can buy a cool t-shirt to celebrate the division championship but getting in the playoffs is all that matters. Now winning a division to secure a first round bye is a plus.  How many division winners won this past weekend?

I feel the same way; I don't spend money on "division championship" merchandise. It was a big step forward for a team that was picked to not even get close to the playoffs, but I am holding out for bigger and better things.