SiouxSports.com Forum

Vikings

Fetch

• 2 weeks later...

Wow very surprised to see Peterson suspended at least the rest of the season I thought he would just be paying a fine. I think Goodell is gonna be under fire for this decision especially from players. Looks like Peterson will appeal the suspension as he should and the NFLPA has released a statement:

NFLPA statement on Adrian Peterson suspension: "The decision by the NFL to suspend Adrian Peterson is another example of the credibility gap that exists between the agreements they make and the actions they take. Since Adrian’s legal matter was adjudicated, the NFL has ignored their obligations and attempted to impose a new and arbitrary disciplinary proceeding.

The facts are that Adrian has asked for a meeting with Roger Goodell, the discipline imposed is inconsistent and an NFL executive told Adrian that his time on the Commissioner’s list would be considered as time served.

The NFLPA will appeal this suspension and will demand that a neutral arbitrator oversee the appeal.

We call on the NFL Management Council to show our players and our sponsors leadership by committing to collective bargaining so a fair personal conduct policy can be implemented as quickly as possible.

-- NFL Players Association"

Wow very surprised to see Peterson suspended at least the rest of the season I thought he would just be paying a fine. I think Goodell is gonna be under fire for this decision especially from players. Looks like Peterson will appeal the suspension as he should and the NFLPA has released a statement:

NFLPA statement on Adrian Peterson suspension: "The decision by the NFL to suspend Adrian Peterson is another example of the credibility gap that exists between the agreements they make and the actions they take. Since Adrian’s legal matter was adjudicated, the NFL has ignored their obligations and attempted to impose a new and arbitrary disciplinary proceeding.

The facts are that Adrian has asked for a meeting with Roger Goodell, the discipline imposed is inconsistent and an NFL executive told Adrian that his time on the Commissioner’s list would be considered as time served.

The NFLPA will appeal this suspension and will demand that a neutral arbitrator oversee the appeal.

We call on the NFL Management Council to show our players and our sponsors leadership by committing to collective bargaining so a fair personal conduct policy can be implemented as quickly as possible.

-- NFL Players Association"

Goodell finally got one of these suspensions correct the first time around.  Good for him.

• Upvote 1

Goodell finally got one of these suspensions correct the first time around.  Good for him.

I have seen a lot of other opinions today that very much disagree with the suspension. I know what AP did was wrong but suspending him for what basically amounts to a whole season is crazy to me and I agree with the NFLPA guy that the NFL is just making it up as they go along.

I don't care if that's how they discipline their kids down south.   Doesn't make it right.   Stuffing leaves in a kids mouth and beating him until he has cuts in numerous places on his body is unacceptable. There is no way to get around that.   I'm not anti spanking either.   There is a line and that method is so far over it, it's not even close.  Maybe people and the justice system should start coming around to the line of thinking down south. Finally, at least the NFL got something right.  It does not make up for all their other things they have royally screwed up.   This is a man from what I've seen in his statements since this occurred that doesn't think that is wrong, maybe this will help him understand.   The NFL, as a private entity can basically do what they want, no matter the court decision.  Of course that is dependent upon the agreement with the Players Association but that will get sorted out to.  At least they started at this point.  It will be up to the Players Association to now dirty itself and defend beating a child until they bleed.

• Upvote 4

I have seen a lot of other opinions today that very much disagree with the suspension. I know what AP did was wrong but suspending him for what basically amounts to a whole season is crazy to me and I agree with the NFLPA guy that the NFL is just making it up as they go along.

It does seem like the NFL has a dart board with suspensions on it and just throws a dart blindly at it to come up with a suspension.

Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.Com was just on KFAN and he said the NFL didn't want AP to play again this year no matter what and when the plea deal came they were surprised and had to find a way to keep him off the field. He said the punishment of 15 games for a misdemeanor definitely doesn't fit the crime and this is just another inconsistency with how the NFL handles things. I really think Goodell has just opened himself up to more criticism here of whether he is capable of actual doing the job and think the NFLPA may push hard for a change in the offseason. He also said in a league that strives for competitive balance so much the NFL has basically taken the Vikings season and thrown it away with how they have handled the situation. The league office just doesn't know how to make a set of rules for disciplining players and how to follow them.

Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.Com was just on KFAN and he said the NFL didn't want AP to play again this year no matter what and when the plea deal came they were surprised and had to find a way to keep him off the field. He said the punishment of 15 games for a misdemeanor definitely doesn't fit the crime and this is just another inconsistency with how the NFL handles things. I really think Goodell has just opened himself up to more criticism here of whether he is capable of actual doing the job and think the NFLPA may push hard for a change in the offseason. He also said in a league that strives for competitive balance so much the NFL has basically taken the Vikings season and thrown it away with how they have handled the situation. The league office just doesn't know how to make a set of rules for disciplining players and how to follow them.

Goodell didn't do this to himself, AP did! The fact that he sent text messages to the boys mother saying that he would do it again, really bothers me. He does not understand what he did was wrong and he needs help realizing that. He should be working on himself before playing for the Vikings.