SiouxSports.com Forum

Vikings

Fetch

Barry Larkin, Reds Hall of Famer, had good things to say about Marge Schott.  The comments can go both ways.

So what happens if, say, Mark Cuban comes out and says he supports Rand Paul for President.  Corporate sponsors back away from the Mavericks, a player or two decides they're not going to play...should David Silver force him to sell the Mavericks?

BTW, how convenient for the Hawks' owner (who has wanted to sell the team for years now) to "self-report" his "racist" e-mails so that the NBA can "force" him to sell his team.  Hopefully for the same amount that was paid for the Clippers, no doubt...

Now you are mixing two entirely different issues.  I don't think anyone cares who Cuban (or any other owner) supports for President in 2016; he can support whomever he wants, just like any other citizen.  Making racist statements about your own players has ramifications well beyond professional sports.

The grand jury found enough evidence to charge AP and the subsequent trial, if it makes it that far, will be based on whether the jury feels AP's actions were "reasonable and within the community standard" for disciplining a child.  If he is acquitted this will open up a big can of whoop ass on innocent kids in that Texas area!

Just want to point out that the first grand jury dismissed it.  The prosecutor had to take it to a second grand jury before he was charged.  Have not saw anything that clarifies if they had more evidence or why the second one charged him while the first didn't.  No clue if anything changed but throws another twist into the whole mess.

The NFL may be getting themselves into quite the mess by involving themselves in these cases....  If an individual team wants to suspend/drop a player (for obvious PR reasons), that's the team's choice.  If another team wants to sign that player (risking PR backlash), it's the team's choice.  The NFL should take a back seat.

Now you are mixing two entirely different issues.  I don't think anyone cares who Cuban (or any other owner) supports for President in 2016; he can support whomever he wants, just like any other citizen.  Making racist statements about your own players has ramifications well beyond professional sports.

I assume you're talking about the comments regarding Danny Manning and GM Elgin Baylor...from about 5 years ago.  So bad that the NBA did nothing then? 

Just want to point out that the first grand jury dismissed it.  The prosecutor had to take it to a second grand jury before he was charged.  Have not saw anything that clarifies if they had more evidence or why the second one charged him while the first didn't.  No clue if anything changed but throws another twist into the whole mess.

So black on black (child) whoopings are reasonable in the south according to some in support of AP, but white on black (slave) whoopings in the south were not?  Got it...............  

Didn't know color on same color defined whether it is abuse or not.

Both incidents I referenced above, even though not even close in the same context, are classified as physical abuse...plain and simple.

Now you are mixing two entirely different issues. I don't think anyone cares who Cuban (or any other owner) supports for President in 2016; he can support whomever he wants, just like any other citizen. Making racist statements about your own players has ramifications well beyond professional sports.

No situation is going to to be exactly the same...let's make this a better example: an NBA owner announces publicly that he supports The Islamic State...or that he would like to see David Duke elected president. Time to get out the "For Sale" sign?

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/cuban-doesn-care-owners-vote-sterling-case-article-1.1810930

I know that is what came out early in the reporting, but this link does not back up your statement about multiple attempts at indictment...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11514522/adrian-peterson-minnesota-vikings-indicted-child-case

Grant said only one grand jury reviewed Peterson's case, refuting a report that an initial grand jury rejected the case and it took a second grand jury to indict Peterson. He said the grand jury "was provided lots of evidence over a significant number of weeks, and at the conclusion of that evidence presentation and an explanation of the law in this particular matter, they chose to indict Mr. Peterson."

So black on black (child) whoopings are reasonable in the south according to some in support of AP, but white on black (slave) whoopings in the south were not?  Got it...............  

Didn't know color on same color defined whether it is abuse or not.

Both incidents I referenced above, even though not even close in the same context, are classified as physical abuse...plain and simple.

Who said anything about skin color or that what he did isn't abuse?  Just thought it was worth pointing out that the first grand jury dismissed it while the second brought charges and curious if there was any difference between what was presented to them.

Edit - Apparently the original report was incorrect and there the first grand jury indicted him.  Disregard my original curiosity.

I know that is what came out early in the reporting, but this link does not back up your statement about multiple attempts at indictment...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11514522/adrian-peterson-minnesota-vikings-indicted-child-case

I had not seen an article retracting the original report.  Thanks for the clarification.

No, I think they will let the process play out just like with the 49ers DL Ray McDonald who is accused of domestic violence. 

Yep, just like the Vikings did in 2011 when Chris Cook was arrested and charged with strangling his girlfriend.  Oh, wait...they suspended him indefinitely and he missed the final 10 games of the season.  Ultimate outcome of the criminal charge?  Acquitted - victim recants original story.  Go figure.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_20181629/jury-acquits-minnesota-vikings-cornerback-chris-cook-assaulting

"Manny's for dinner?"

Yep, just like the Vikings did in 2011 when Chris Cook was arrested and charged with strangling his girlfriend.  Oh, wait...they suspended him indefinitely and he missed the final 10 games of the season.  Ultimate outcome of the criminal charge?  Acquitted - victim recants original story.  Go figure.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_20181629/jury-acquits-minnesota-vikings-cornerback-chris-cook-assaulting

Chris Cook isn't Adrian Peterson and like it or not when it comes to the NFL play value comes into account. Not 100% sure if that was Chris Cook's first incident or not but know it is AP's and that may factor in as well.

Chris Tomasson‏@christomasson 38m

I'm a little surprised. But out of nearly 200,000 who have voted in an ESPN poll 66% agree with Vikings' Peterson decision, 34% disagree

In AP's defense, it's hard to single him out when he is one of over FORTY Vikings players to have been arrested since 2000.

How big of the Wilf brothers to make the call that AP play this weekend...and then make the head coach and GM field the uncomfortable questions...

#leadership

You could tell Speilman was uncomfortable and struggled through with the whole thing, Zimmer made it pretty clear right away he wasn't talking about the AP situation and he only got a couple questions about it and just answered with Rick already addressed that.