SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs Valpo

GeauxSioux

We've got 2 young QBs that can both chuck it by the looks of it.

Ok, I will be the first to admit I am not paying total attention... have two different people played QB tonight? (this is what I get for watching two football games, balancing my check book, and chatting online)

Ok, I will be the first to admit I am not paying total attention... have two different people played QB tonight? (this is what I get for watching two football games, balancing my check book, and chatting online)

Yep, both Bartels and Mollberg look to have the potential to be real studs if they continue to develop. Still too early to tell but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if one of them transfers after the starting spot is settled for good.

On the punt, the refs determine it is North Dakota football... announcers and Valpo players think it hit UND player's leg. Refs change their minds after a brief conference. On the replay #2 calls for a fair catch, nearly gets run into and falls as he tries to catch the ball and it bounces off his leg. If he was going for an interference call, he didn't get it... he should have just backed away from the ball (in my opinion)

Really? Minneapolis, Duluth, Mankato, St Cloud, and the Final Five has meant plenty of road trips less than 2 hours away.

The NCHC does put a crimp in things going forward...I'll spot you that.

Yes, really. First of all, you can take Minneapolis and Mankato off your list as they are no longer in the same conference. Second, to me, it's easier to "follow" a team if I can easily watch all of the games at my home, which I can with UND football. With the new NCHC deal, there is no more FCS and only a few games on CBSSN. For webcasts, you have to pay to watch the home games and will be without any viewing options for most road games. So yes, while you will still be able to travel to watch games in St. Cloud and Duluth, I still think it's easier to "follow" UND football.

Thoughts on game:

1) I thought Bartels looked better than Mollberg. Of course, Bartels played longer with the first team offense. Bartels should be the starter going into the South Dakota St. game and if he plays well, I think he should be named the starter for the rest of the season.

2) Running game looked okay against inferior competition but I just can't get over how small and light-weight Miller and Garmin are. Just like I thought last year, I think Sparks and Shaugabay should play a lot more.

3) Defense still needs to improve against the run. Too many long runs right up the middle tonight. Right now, I'd predict Zenner goes off for well over 150 yds next weekend.

4) Special teams looked very weak. On the one long snap for a punt, it was low and bobbled. And Garmin produced the only turnover of the game with an all to characteristic muff on a punt return. Golladay or someone else needs to be a punt returner full time and Larson needs work on his snaps. Even ol' reliable Zeb Miller missed a field goal. In a more positive note, Hardin and Golladay were awesome returning kicks and punts, respectively.

Next weekend, with the hopeful return of Jameer Jackson, I feel our only chance to pull out the upset vs. SDSU is to pass all over their defense and "contain" their running game. Tonight didn't prove to me we can consistently stop the run and run the ball on offense. Bartels did look good though. I'm still hopeful though that we can get a big win on Sept. 7th.