SiouxSports.com Forum

A little role reversal.

Vegas_Sioux

A slice of humble pie for Imperial Cass County? It's long overdue! :devil:

Apparently you didn't read the article and only looked at the GF herald editors head line. The downtown civic has out lived its usefullness and there is a need for a smaller venue than the FargoDome. With the Alerus running in the red every year I'd keep your jealousy in check.

With the Alerus running in the red every year I'd keep your jealousy in check.

Does the Fargodome actually operate in the black or do they use the same accounting methods the Alerus Center does as counting what they get from sales tax as revenue? Having a much larger tax base in Fargo is definitely an advantage. I thought one of the articles recently stated how the surplus the Fargodome has is from the sales tax that is expiring soon but can't remember how it was worded.

Apparently you didn't read the article and only looked at the GF herald editors head line. The downtown civic has out lived its usefullness and there is a need for a smaller venue than the FargoDome. With the Alerus running in the red every year I'd keep your jealousy in check.

Dan you spend more time trying to run down UND sports than you do posting about FU sports.

Dan you spend more time trying to run down UND sports than you do posting about FU sports.

The Superiority complex runs deep with this one. Everything at NDSU, Fargo, Cass county, etc. is superior to anything else in the state, especially UND and Grand Forks. And he wants to make sure we all know it. We get it Dan.

I’m stupid, you’re smart. I was wrong, you were right. You’re the best, I’m the worst. You are good looking, I am not attractive. :)

• Upvote 2

I was being a smart-mouth (one of my many skills). Apparently your Moo U education didn't teach you that. :p

The Superiority complex runs deep with this one. Everything at NDSU, Fargo, Cass county, etc. is superior to anything else in the state, especially UND and Grand Forks. And he wants to make sure we all know it. We get it Dan.

I’m stupid, you’re smart. I was wrong, you were right. You’re the best, I’m the worst. You are good looking, I am not attractive. :)

Happy Gilmore. Very good pull from movie lines that are applicable. :lol:

• Upvote 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rwPovyR9HY

"Okay.... As long as you're willing to admit that." :D

Dammit. Long reply got eaten. Here's a short version.

So the city wants to compete with the convention business currently happening at their hotels?

No. Current maximum exhibit space size in FM is 12,500sqft. The preliminary plans for the new facility have a 50,000sqft main exhibit hall that can be partitioned in half. It's meant for conventions that are too big for private businesses. The other 8 meeting spaces in the project are between 800-1000sqft each, although they can be combined into spaces of 2000-2600sqft. Still, not a place for a wedding reception or other small-medium sized events.

Does the Fargodome actually operate in the black or do they use the same accounting methods the Alerus Center does as counting what they get from sales tax as revenue? Having a much larger tax base in Fargo is definitely an advantage. I thought one of the articles recently stated how the surplus the Fargodome has is from the sales tax that is expiring soon but can't remember how it was worded.

The FD does operate in the black, and the sales tax ended in 2008. The surplus tax money is used for capital projects like the lobby. It's also going to be used for upgrades/replacement of major equipment through around 2045(first 50 years of operation). The fund needs around $15 million in it to cover those costs until 2045; it's got $34 million in it right now. Without a public vote, that excess money can't be used for anything except the FD. That's why these proposals keep coming up; there's basically $15-20 million of taxpayers dollars sitting there uselessly.

The sales tax brought in 75-100% more than anticipated due to Fargo's growth during the '90s and '00s. The FD cost $48 million to build and that was paid off in 2009. About $7-8 million of the tax was diverted by the voters into street repair. A couple million went into doubling the number of suites and replacing the video boards many years ago. The new lobby addition also came out of that fund. I think the new lighting and sound system came out of the fund as well as the FD's share of the new turf, but I think the new parking lot came from other funds. Even with all that and the hit the fund took during the credit crisis, the fund is still at $34 million with at least $17 million in excess money.