SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Alumni CEO Tim O'Keefe to hang it up

Teeder11

O’Keefe to Retire as Head of UND Alumni Association & Foundation

Grand Forks (5.8.2013) -- After 11 years as Executive Vice President and CEO of the UND Alumni Association & Foundation, Tim O’Keefe has announced he will retire on March 31, 2014.

“This chapter of my personal and professional life has been a privilege,” O’Keefe said. “I can’t imagine more rewarding work than for an organization and a mission close to my heart and so critical to the public good and future of the University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, our region and my beloved great state of North Dakota.”

O’Keefe, in partnership with UND leadership, led the University through its first major capital campaign. North Dakota Spirit | The Campaign for UND, which ends at Homecoming in October, surpassed its $300 million goal six months early. During the campaign, the number of unique donors to UND jumped from 8,000 a year to more than 13,000, and funds raised annually jumped from $8 million to $45 million.

“Our alumni and friends are special people. The branding of our campaign as ‘North Dakota Spirit’ could not have been more accurate in its representation of the accomplishments, integrity, shared passion and loyalty among our followers for our University and state,” O’Keefe said.

“The University of North Dakota has a great friend in Tim O'Keefe,” UND President Robert Kelley said. “His work as the head of the UND Alumni Association & Foundation has been exemplary, and we are the beneficiaries of that work and leadership, which includes oversight of the $300 million North Dakota Spirit Campaign. Tim’s legacy is already helping to provide an exceptional UND for the future. All of UND joins me in wishing Tim and his wife, Becky, the very best on the next exciting phase of their lives.”

A transition team made up of current and former UND Alumni Association & Foundation Board members as well as UND partners will map out the steps for finding O’Keefe’s replacement.

“Tim has been a visionary leader with an incredible list of accomplishments over his tenure, which has benefited us all,” said Al Royse, UND Foundation Chair. “But while we will certainly miss Tim and his leadership, he has positioned us very well for the future, and we look forward to continuing what he has started. A transition team has been formed, and we are in the process of finding the next great leader for this organization.”

“Tim’s leadership has been transformational for the UND Alumni Association & Foundation,” said Carolyn Becraft, UND Alumni Association Chair. “Under his tenure, the connection to alumni has been greatly strengthened and the endowment has more than tripled. You can see his vision in the Gorecki Alumni Center, the Hopper-Danley Spiritual Center, the President’s residence, and multiple projects currently in the pipeline that will continue to transform the campus. He has built a strong organization that will continue to do great things for UND.”

During O’Keefe’s tenure, UND alumni and friends have established more than 479 new endowments ― investments that provide support for years into the future ― including 262 for student scholarships.

“We only exist for one reason, and that’s students in one form or another,” O’Keefe said. “Today’s students are tomorrow’s alumni. We have always attracted a unique quality of student to UND, and it is the students who have inspired me every day.”

###

For more information or to schedule an interview with O’Keefe, please contact Milo Smith at 701.777.0831 or milos@undalumni.net. A photo of O’Keefe can be found at bit.ly/okeefephoto.

Milo Smith | Director of Communications and Marketing, UND Alumni Association & Foundation

P 701.777.0831 | 800.543.8764 | F 701.777.3686

3501 University Ave. Stop 8157 | Grand Forks, ND 58202

UND Alumni Association | www.undalumni.org | Connect.Engage.Grow.

I doubt he would be able top what was done in the Spirit campaign, good time to leave if he thought it was time. Will be interesting to see if they bring in an outsider or someone with UND ties.

I think they really need to have someone with ties to UND at the head of the Alumni Association. I think it looks better to potential donors when they're being courted by a fellow alum (or if the potential donor isn't an alum, at least they can see someone that UND produced). Personally, I'd prefer to have university presidents who have prior ties to the university as well, but I don't sit on the SBoHE.

I think they really need to have someone with ties to UND at the head of the Alumni Association. I think it looks better to potential donors when they're being courted by a fellow alum (or if the potential donor isn't an alum, at least they can see someone that UND produced). Personally, I'd prefer to have university presidents who have prior ties to the university as well, but I don't sit on the SBoHE.

Jeff Bowen or Steve Brekke would both do a great job.

No. Jeff would do a good job. He knows finance and how to shake hands. Both are great guys and love UND.

Interesting. I never said which one I thought would be a good leader for the Alumni Association. Now I'm curious why you assumed what you did and why you came to the quick defense of the other.

Interesting. I never said which one I thought would be a good leader for the Alumni Association. Now I'm curious why you assumed what you did and why you came to the quick defense of the other.

Because either you like Jeff or you do not. Since this is a hockey board, more than anything, more people would be familiar with Jeff.

Because either you like Jeff or you do not. Since this is a hockey board, more than anything, more people would be familiar with Jeff.

Not buying it. Brekke is just as well known to those familiar with UND athletics. And if they aren't, why wouldn't that be who I was referencing?

Who is the next family member in line for the job? Ryan Hale since he is married to Katie? :)

Yeah, it's all nepotism, right, because Tim was SUCH a close relative of Earl Strinden, and the others who held the position before him. :silly::)

Not buying it. Brekke is just as well known to those familiar with UND athletics. And if they aren't, why wouldn't that be who I was referencing?

That really is why I thought you meant Jeff. Most people here would recognize Jeff if they saw him but not Steve I figured. I also think Steve would do a great job since he was in banking also and knows how to shake hands. So if it is Steve why not? Me? I would like to see either one of them get the job. I think, as I said before, they would both to a great job for UND.

• 3 months later...

University of North Dakota Alumni Association and Foundation has new CEO to replace O'Keefe

The University of North Dakota Alumni Association and Foundation has a new leader.

A news conference is scheduled for 1 p.m. Tuesday to announce the next CEO and executive vice president for the foundation, which is the fundraising arm of the university.