SiouxSports.com Forum

Does Dave

Fetch

1. We've never played the trap- not a left wing lock nor a 1-2-2 not even a third man high

2. As I stated on another thread, dump and chase is not a strategy, it is a reaction play on entry

3. The cycle...I'm as sick of it as a human being can be

Rocco is very dynamic, but let's be realistic. You don't change up your team for one player. We didn't do it for Parise or Toews (as special as any players can be) we aren't going to change up to accommodate Rocco.

Rocco is very dynamic, but let's be realistic. You don't change up your team for one player. We didn't do it for Parise or Toews (as special as any players can be) we aren't going to change up to accommodate Rocco.

The only reason I agree with this is that their time here is so short. If I was the coach and I knew a rare talent like Rocco was going to be here for 4 years I would built around him. I think there is an element of truth to that with all great coaches. Look no further than our very own Phil Jackson. He hung his hat on the strategy of building a system around a great talent. Hockey is different in that one player is in the game for much less of the game than other sports but I would still create a line to work for my greatest talent. That is just plain old common sense. It's basic military strategy; play to your strength, make the opponent have to challenge you where your strength is. Example, would it be smart to put all of your focus on a ground war when you have a significant air superiority?

Look no further than our very own Phil Jackson. He hung his hat on the strategy of building a system around a great talent.

I love how people always point out the brilliance of a guy who coached two of the top players of all-time (Jordan and Pippen) with the Bulls and two more (Shaq and Kobe) with the Lakers. I'd like to see how Phil Jackson handled a mediocre-talent team like the Philadelphia 76'ers, Atlanta Hawks, Phoenix Suns, or Denver Nuggets. Let's be honest...Wilbur or I could have stumbled into a championship if given ten years to coach Michael and Scottie.

1. We've never played the trap- not a left wing lock nor a 1-2-2 not even a third man high

That's not an accurate statement. "All teams" play the trap from time-to-time. I have seen UND play the trap as well.

I love how people always point out the brilliance of a guy who coached two of the top players of all-time (Jordan and Pippen) with the Bulls and two more (Shaq and Kobe) with the Lakers. I'd like to see how Phil Jackson handled a mediocre-talent team like the Philadelphia 76'ers, Atlanta Hawks, Phoenix Suns, or Denver Nuggets. Let's be honest...Wilbur or I could have stumbled into a championship if given ten years to coach Michael and Scottie.

Pippen was not one of the greatest players of all time.

Are you suggesting that Hak's teams have been more like the Nuggets or Hawks? When I think of the guys Hak has been able to have on his squads I think more of the Bulls and Lakers??

That's not an accurate statement. "All teams" play the trap from time-to-time. I have seen UND play the trap as well.

of course there are exceptions at times during games...Dave doesn't approach the game like Jaques Lemaire, Scotty Bowman, or Mike Eaves is what I am getting at. It is not our strategy to trap in order to win.

• Upvote 1

As a non-expert, IMO Rocco is just two to three seconds faster than anyone else on the ice. The rest of the team just need to get two to three seconds quicker. There, problem solved. Hak can keep his job......for now. :D

What if he decides that Rocco needs to slow down by 1-1.5 secs and then we only have to speed every one else up 1-1.5 secs? Except the goalies...cause we all know that they are just in their own little land. :D

What if he decides that Rocco needs to slow down by 1-1.5 secs and then we only have to speed every one else up 1-1.5 secs? Except the goalies...cause we all know that they are just in their own little land. :D

I'm ok with compromise...split the difference. Good plan.

No more blind passes right into the slot.

Other than that, I love how he plays. He's always the hardest working guy out on the ice, and that is fun to watch.

I bet if you watched the tapes, those were not 'blind' passes. Those were passes to a guy who hadn't gotten there yet. I love watching him as well.

No more blind passes right into the slot.

Other than that, I love how he plays. He's always the hardest working guy out on the ice, and that is fun to watch.

Rocco is more of a Dean Blais system player than a Hakstol system player. Dave likes the bigger physical forwards, Deano likes em small and just ferocious on the puck like little bees.

I would take a full team of guys like Rocco. What he lacks on in size, he makes up with his heart.

• Upvote 1

of course there are exceptions at times during games...Dave doesn't approach the game like Jaques Lemaire, Scotty Bowman, or Mike Eaves is what I am getting at. It is not our strategy to trap in order to win.

Which is a good thing, because frankly, I wouldn't walk across the street to watch Wisconsin play hockey... I hate the trap, but I saw it some this year..

Which is a good thing, because frankly, I wouldn't walk across the street to watch Wisconsin play hockey...

Liar! I saw you at the X for the Final Five just a few weeks ago, Goon, so, yes, you actually DID walk across the street to watch Wisconsin play hockey!

I bet if you watched the tapes, those were not 'blind' passes. Those were passes to a guy who hadn't gotten there yet. I love watching him as well.

No. They were blind because no one was anywhere near to where he passed the puck. He always kept making his no look passes all the time which really were only turnovers.

Liar! I saw you at the X for the Final Five just a few weeks ago, Goon, so, yes, you actually DID walk across the street to watch Wisconsin play hockey!

Mea Cupla... That's because my hotel was across the street. :)