SiouxSports.com Forum

Does Dave

Fetch

Rocco is more of a Dean Blais system player than a Hakstol system player. Dave likes the bigger physical forwards, Deano likes em small and just ferocious on the puck like little bees.

I would take a full team of guys like Rocco. What he lacks on in size, he makes up with his heart.

ahh, the smurfs. hoogsteen and blake.

I love how people always point out the brilliance of a guy who coached two of the top players of all-time (Jordan and Pippen) with the Bulls and two more (Shaq and Kobe) with the Lakers. I'd like to see how Phil Jackson handled a mediocre-talent team like the Philadelphia 76'ers, Atlanta Hawks, Phoenix Suns, or Denver Nuggets. Let's be honest...Wilbur or I could have stumbled into a championship if given ten years to coach Michael and Scottie.

So, how many championships did Doug Collins win at Chicago before Jackson? Or Tim Floyd after Jackson?

How about Kurt Rambis (before), Rudy Tomjanovich (between) or Mike Brown (after) at Los Angeles?

Yes, Jackson coached talented players, but so did Red Auerbach - Russell and Cousy. Its not just having talent, its knowing what to do with it.

• Upvote 1

So, how many championships did Doug Collins win at Chicago before Jackson? Or Tim Floyd after Jackson?

How about Kurt Rambis (before), Rudy Tomjanovich (between) or Mike Brown (after) at Los Angeles?

Yes, Jackson coached talented players, but so did Red Auerbach - Russell and Cousy. Its not just having talent, its knowing what to do with it.

So how many championships did Phil Jackson win WITHOUT Michael Jackson, Scottie Pippen, Kobe Bryant, and Shaquille O'Neal? The guy's a total cherry-picker.

So how many championships did Phil Jackson win WITHOUT Michael Jackson, Scottie Pippen, Kobe Bryant, and Shaquille O'Neal? The guy's a total cherry-picker.

That'd be kind of like having Oshie, Toews, and Duncan (the Hoby Baker winner) on a college hockey line.

Actually, we were talking about getting it done when you have the talent.

This...^^^^^^^^.

Since Natty's, from what I have read on this site, come down to getting hot at the right time and/or getting bounces, I would say this season wasn't a disaster. I would say this though...on a nightly basis this team generally underperformed as to the talent that took the ice. Not all of this comes down to the coaches, but quite a bit of it does. 6 Dman all drafted. 2 top 10 Hobey candidates. A healthy Rocco. They were far from talent poor yet looked disinterested, unmotivated and undisciplined way too often.

So how many championships did Phil Jackson win WITHOUT Michael Jackson Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Kobe Bryant, and Shaquille O'Neal? The guy's a total cherry-picker.

to answer your question directly - eleven :lol:

Bryant and O'Neal did not play on the Bulls teams - only Jordan and Pippen

Jordan and Pippen did not play for the Lakers and O'Neal only played on 3 of the 5 championship teams in LA.

btw, only O'Neal won a (one) championship on a team without Jackson as the coach.

So, technically, all the championships were won without all four: Jordan, Pippen, Bryant and O'Neal.

The point is that I do not think you can win a championship without stars, whether its hockey, basketball, football... even the Twins had Kirby Puckett when they won. You have to be able to get the stars and their teammates to support each other and work hard for the common good. Jackson was able to do that.

No disrespect, MM, but if Doug Collins couldn't win a championship with Jordan and Pippen, I humbly submit that you wouldn't have either.