SiouxSports.com Forum

Lets go over THIS years recruits only

Dolphinswin

I'm talking has gotten better from what was already exceptional. Thompson may be the best skater on the team next season, Rocco included.

Thompson is an elite skater, but him better than Rocco good might be pushing it. There are very few NHLers that can skate as well as Rocco. If you wanted to teach a near perfect skating stride, just show a clip of Rocco. He might have the longest stride on the team, and he is 7 inches shorter than most of the other players.

Thompson is an elite skater, but him better than Rocco good might be pushing it. There are very few NHLers that can skate as well as Rocco. If you wanted to teach a near perfect skating stride, just show a clip of Rocco. He might have the longest stride on the team, and he is 7 inches shorter than most of the other players.

Paul Coffey- still the best skater I have ever seen. Sergei Fedorov not far behind. But agree that Rocco is an excellent skater.

I would say immediate impact would probably go to LaDue but if I was picking for the long term and factoring in potential I would pick Ausmus or Thompson.

I think Thompson is widely considered to be the better player now, as well as having higher potential than Ausmus. Ausmus is a steady-stay at home guy, Thompson is projected to be a pretty good two-way defenseman with great skating ability. The scouting report on Thompson reminds me a lot of Chorney when he played at UND.

I think Thompson is widely considered to be the better player now, as well as having higher potential than Ausmus. Ausmus is a steady-stay at home guy, Thompson is projected to be a pretty good two-way defenseman with great skating ability. The scouting report on Thompson reminds me a lot of Chorney when he played at UND.

Ladue will be better than both Thompson and Ausmus next year. I think Thompson may be a tad "green" next year...somewhat like Schmaltz was for awhile. Ausmus will be a rock. But Ladue is pretty much a "do-it-all" defensemen. Ausmus and Thompson both have higher ceilings. I still think Ladue will play in the NHL.

Ladue will be better than both Thompson and Ausmus next year. I think Thompson may be a tad "green" next year...somewhat like Schmaltz was for awhile. Ausmus will be a rock. But Ladue is pretty much a "do-it-all" defensemen. Ausmus and Thompson both have higher ceilings. I still think Ladue will play in the NHL.

Isn't Ausmus already the strongest physically of the thee? And wouldn't that make him fill our biggest need on defense as we lose McWilliam? I think this crop of d will be awesome but Ausmus might bring what we need most physically.

Isn't Ausmus already the strongest physically of the thee? And wouldn't that make him fill our biggest need on defense as we lose McWilliam? I think this crop of d will be awesome but Ausmus might bring what we need most physically.

I don't think Ausmus is really a physical presence but more of a smooth skating and very positionally and fundamentally sound defenseman, he is about 6'1" 190lbs.

How would you compare the incoming D recruits with our top D recruit from last year, J Schmaltz? I thought he made steady strides during the season as a two-way D. I'm interested to see if he continues improving next year or falls into a Soph slump.

I think of the 4 (Stecher, Schmaltz, LaDue, and Thompson), Schmaltz has the highest offensive ceiling. Thompson will be better defensively, but I'm not sure if he has the poise, or offensive skills that Schmaltz has. This might seem like a bold claim to some, but I think LaDue will play a larger role on this team as a freshman, than Schmaltz will as a sophomore. I think LaDue will be our #2 d-man next year behind Simpson.

Sure but he's still a 2nd-4th round freshman defensemen. You are correct that he plays a physical game...I never really thought our D was overly bad last year. Collectively they were fine. At the end of the day, yes Mattson made the stupid spin-o-rama walking the tight rope but our D didn't lose us the game. Our forwards lacked chemistry all year long and our goalies were average at best. Our D didn't play great all year but it definitely wasn't the biggest flaw on last year's team. Going into next year I believe we have the strongest D core in the nation.....easy.

Sure but he's still a 2nd-4th round freshman defensemen. You are correct that he plays a physical game...I never really thought our D was overly bad last year. Collectively they were fine. At the end of the day, yes Mattson made the stupid spin-o-rama walking the tight rope but our D didn't lose us the game. Our forwards lacked chemistry all year long and our goalies were average at best. Our D didn't play great all year but it definitely wasn't the biggest flaw on last year's team. Going into next year I believe we have the strongest D core in the nation.....easy.

Really? Even though we have to replace three of our Top-6? Gleason is easily replaced, but Mac and Forbort will be missed, especially there size.

Based on what? Being average on D this past year and losing maybe your 2 best, Forbort and MacWilliam?

I think the freshmen will need a little time to adjust to the college game and this will probably make our defense a little bit of a question mark the 1st half of the season but during the 2nd half of the season I would expect the defense to be pretty good. I think we will have a less physical group of defensemen but also a better skating and quicker group of defensemen that by the end of the season could be one of the better groups of defensemen especially if we are able to add Ausmus. I would also expect Schmaltz to take a big step forward next season as well and a great season from Simpson too.

Wow...strongest D core in the nation? Forbort, Gleason, MacWilliam will all be missed...returning d-men should be a solid group to go along with some promising freshmen, but...please tell us who the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strongest D cores in the nation are...goalies were not average at best, they were very good most of the time with a few games when bad goals went in...they were our best players in Grand Rapids.

I think the freshmen will need a little time to adjust to the college game and this will probably make our defense a little bit of a question mark the 1st half of the season but during the 2nd half of the season I would expect the defense to be pretty good. I think we will have a less physical group of defensemen but also a better skating and quicker group of defensemen that by the end of the season could be one of the better groups of defensemen especially if we are able to add Ausmus. I would also expect Schmaltz to take a big step forward next season as well and a great season from Simpson too.

Forward is the only way Schmaltz can go, he didnt impress me at all last year.

I actually thought he got better as the season went on after a tough start to the year and thought he was pretty solid throughout the playoffs.

I also thought he had a very solid second half of the year. I would like to see him take some more risks offensively, its obvious he has some very good skill, we just didn't get to see it very much. Hopefully this offseason and a solid freshman year give him the confidence to become an impact player next year.