SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs YALE - Sat GAMEDAY 3pm

AZSIOUX

I've seen the list...not sure about any of them yet...

Our program, facilities, and NHL list makes it pretty easy to be in the conversation.

So I assume I can look back in the recruiting thread and not see your name praising any recruits coming in?

Anyone think Und needs to start to change philosophy away from the awesome cycle that we're known for and more towards a more skilled bc style of play? The rules are starting to make playing really physical a disadvantage at times. Maybe we could find a happy medium between us now and high flying skill reliant teams like bc.

This team had the dogs, they just didn't hunt.

You can look for a scapegoat all day. Maybe it was because I wore my black jersey instead of my white?

No, I don't think Hak should be fired. But I also think he needs to take a long hard look at how he approaches the post-season, and that starts the first day of training.

I'm sorry but now he should be taking a long hard look at how he approaches the post-season? He should have done this 5 seasons ago.

So I assume I can look back in the recruiting thread and not see your name praising any recruits coming in?

Probably...I don't spend much time in those- I haven't followed recruiting very closely. Again, I have not been the one calling for Hak's head.

Everyone is disappointed, and we all know the team failed to show up today

Anyone think Und needs to start to change philosophy away from the awesome cycle that we're known for and more towards a more skilled bc style of play? The rules are starting to make playing really physical a disadvantage at times. Maybe we could find a happy medium between us now and high flying skill reliant teams like bc.

I can agree with this. They way the rules are, if you hit too hard you get penalized. It may work for the nhl, but the ncaa is a bunch of girl scouts who foul every good hard hit.

I can agree with this. They way the rules are, if you hit too hard you get penalized. It may work for the nhl, but the ncaa is a bunch of girl scouts who foul every good hard hit.

This.

Teams you wouldn't expect to make it this far into the post season have this supposed high flying skilled team that outplays us every time. Again, comes back to coaches and recruiting and I am guessing it won't change anytime soon if our coaching staff isn't restructured.

Considering how the WCHA teams have done in this tourney, it is clear that the styles most commonly employed out west don't stand up to playoff hockey.

True, but a lot of the penalties today were just players not using common sense and basically making selfish plays rather than work for their chances.

I'm amazed the college programs get as much quality talent as they do...

I do know from his body of work that Berry is a very good coach and recruiter. He built probably the best defense we have seen in the post-Gino era with the group referenced in my signature. Those guys, Greene, Smaby, all got a lot better while at UND as well. In fact, It seemed to me that Forbort, Simpson and Schmaltz were all quite a bit better players at the end of the year than the start.

Goaltending, what most worried about, was very solid all weekend.

I think the pressure of winning one for the program is weighing on them, and it shows in their tourney performance. I'm not sure what gets you out of that trap, a special group of players I guess.

Hak runs a heck of a program, that much I know. Even the very best programs, like Mn,DU and Wisconsin have missed the tourney multiple times recently. He recruits well, has a good culture (the guys care), players get better, teams improve and usually peak late in the year. Really everything but the titles. At the very least then he's a fine GM.

Thanks to the seniors.

• Upvote 2

I said something to my buddy last weekend in St. Paul that in retrospect might have jinxed the Sioux. I told him that think how bad it must be for teams like Mankato who make it to the Final Five/ NCAA tournament so infrequently, and then lose in the one game they play. It sucks losing big time, but getting the opportunity to sit back with friends and watch the Sioux constantly in the Final Five and NCAA tournament is something I relish. I get super frustrated at losing, but hope always springs eternal that eventually they will get over the hump and maybe go back to back like Minnesota did after their long slump. So yes, Sandelin 1, Hakstol 0, but who knows what the future holds, and in the meantime I enjoy being relevant every year compared to let's face it, 95 % of college teams. Happy? No! But enjoying the ride in the meantime, short of one frustrating day a year.

I'm not sure if it had anything to do with Berry or not but we did seem to get a lot more offensive production from our defensmen this year so maybe he is more focused on that area. Our defense was very incosistent all season so hopefully Berry will be able to help the group improve and be more consistent into next season.

Thoughts on the hockey game today, after my cooling off period:

~First of all give credit to Yale. They won the game, and to say that UND laid down wouldn't be 100% honest. Yale earned that win.

~Inconsistency......just all year.....especially in this game......In all of Hak's years I've never seen a team like this one....no real identity.

~Clark gave the team very good goaltending. It didn't matter if Zane was in today, it would've been the same.

~Seemed like we got a bit behind the 8 ball with the X's and O's. Yale just out schemed us, and we couldn't break out or establish anything on the forecheck.

~I'm not going to throw guys name by name under the proverbial bus, but we had some guys that had to put the puck away that didn't. There were guys that had extremely below average years for what we expected of them, and unfortunately it cost this team dearly. It was the same thing in this game today.

~Penalties 200 feet away from our net.....yikes.

I've always been a Hak backer, and I feel as if I'm falling off that fence a little bit. It's just a game right? Right? :lol:

• Upvote 1