SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs MICHIGAN TECH - Sunday Game 3

AZSIOUX

Is Cepis still around?

I was thinking more of Gerbe....but I think a leprechaun is taller.

This complaint came up on Twitter last night, too. Commercial breaks, be it TV or radio, are predetermined. They are scheduled according to the official media timeouts on the ice, which are mandated by league rules. These are taken at the same time of every period of every game, and the rules surrounding these breaks are not flexible.

Not to mention neither Midco nor Clear Channel are privy to when a coach may or may not substitute their players.

We're looking for something that's not here, folks.

Come on Jayson! Don't bring facts into this! ;)

Missed-it-by-that-much.jpg#missed%20it%20by%20that%20much

Don't inflate his head too much, please!

Just by watching how hard the guys played in front of Maris ... Dillon Simpson comes flying out to block the shot. With a 6-0 lead he lays out and does everything he can in order to block the shot.

You noticed that too, eh? I was really surprised when it was Simpson. He took quite a few pucks this weekend and yet he still went down in front of what would be a meaningless shot (goal) late in a blow-out.

Note on that same play that three other guys were looking to get in front of that shot also. That's madness. But that's playing as a team.

You noticed that too, eh? I was really surprised when it was Simpson. He took quite a few pucks this weekend and yet he still went down in front of what would be a meaningless shot (goal) late in a blow-out.

Note on that same play that three other guys were looking to get in front of that shot also. That's madness. But that's playing as a team.

Speak volumes as to how Tate's teammates feel about him. Exceptional sport's moment.

I'm wondering if Hak let loose the reins and let the horses run.

Appeared so.

Knight's goal was a great individual play. Still not convinced OD on the wing is the answer for that top line. He scored but seriously...he had more legit opportunities thru out the game that he didn't even put on the net. For a top line guy you hardly notice him.

Rocco with Rowney and Parks works if Rowney plays to his capabilities.

Gaarder was a beast Sunday and Mitch was really good. I liked what I saw from that line.

How Drake sat for a few games I have know clue. He was all over the ice Sunday. One thing with him and Colton...you notice them because they fly around.

Question is then does Rodwell sit again Thursday???

From what I saw Sunday Drake has to stay in line up. If was Hak I'd go like this Thursday...

Kristo Knight Rocco

Drake Rowney Parks

Mac Mac Gaarder

General Colton Rodwell

Appeared so.

Knight's goal was a great individual play. Still not convinced OD on the wing is the answer for that top line. He scored but seriously...he had more legit opportunities thru out the game that he didn't even put on the net. For a top line guy you hardly notice him.

Rocco with Rowney and Parks works if Rowney plays to his capabilities.

Gaarder was a beast Sunday and Mitch was really good. I liked what I saw from that line.

How Drake sat for a few games I have know clue. He was all over the ice Sunday. One thing with him and Colton...you notice them because they fly around.

Question is then does Rodwell sit again Thursday???

From what I saw Sunday Drake has to stay in line up. If was Hak I'd go like this Thursday...

Kristo Knight Rocco

Drake Rowney Parks

Mac Mac Gaarder

General Colton Rodwell

I don't think we'll see rocco on the top line permanately again this season. we will see him in spurts throughout games but the majority of his time will be spent on the second line.

I think based on the result Sunday the lineup will remain fairly consistent. OD will stay on the top line, Rocco the second, and after the way he played Drake can't come out of the lineup.

Question to ponder: I know Hak wants to spread out the scoring, but does he feel that with Kristo-Knight-and Rocco together that line is more of a defensive liability because of their lack of size? This topic has been beaten to death, but the best Kristo and Knight have looked all year was when Rocco was with them. I mean last year the three best forwards played on that same line basically all year. After them it was gravy if any other line scored.

In the end, I trust Hak. He makes the tough calls, I'm on a computer, his hockey knowledge far outduels mine.

I think based on the result Sunday the lineup will remain fairly consistent. OD will stay on the top line, Rocco the second, and after the way he played Drake can't come out of the lineup.

Question to ponder: I know Hak wants to spread out the scoring, but does he feel that with Kristo-Knight-and Rocco together that line is more of a defensive liability because of their lack of size? This topic has been beaten to death, but the best Kristo and Knight have looked all year was when Rocco was with them. I mean last year the three best forwards played on that same line basically all year. After them it was gravy if any other line scored.

In the end, I trust Hak. He makes the tough calls, I'm on a computer, his hockey knowledge far outduels mine.

This is exactly my point. OD does nothing for those two IMO. To give your 2 best players the opportunity to produce as much as they can they should play with a guy that compliments them to some extent. Rocco is the ONLY player that does that. Danny and Corbin basically scored in the Tech series on great individual plays. The chance of those plays diminishes as the competition gets stiffer.

Rocco has gotten some penalty kill time so I dont think Hak believes Rocco is a defensive liability. Im sure OD would be more of a defensive liability than Rocco.

The real problem is BSU showed how to shut down the Knight-Kristo-Grimaldi lineup. They played Grimaldi very physical and essentially made it a Knight-Kristo line. By moving Grimaldi away from Knight and Kristo they lessen the potential for another team to load up to shut down the top line. I think that could be the cause of the coaches concern with Grimaldi on the top line. OD gives a more physical presence on the top line and Rocco has upgraded Rowney and Parks.

• Upvote 1

The real problem is BSU showed how to shut down the Knight-Kristo-Grimaldi lineup. They played Grimaldi very physical and essentially made it a Knight-Kristo line. By moving Grimaldi away from Knight and Kristo they lessen the potential for another team to load up to shut down the top line. I think that could be the cause of the coaches concern with Grimaldi on the top line. OD gives a more physical presence on the top line and Rocco has upgraded Rowney and Parks.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. Bemidji shut down that line and Hak realized he needed to get more scoring throughout the lineup which is why Rocco was switched. I've said all year this team goes as far as the Rowney line can take them. That line, whoever is on it, needs to provide secondary if not primary scoring throughout the playoffs and I think it starts with Rowney elevating his game (Parks as well). Moving Rocco there obviously increases the chances.

This is exactly my point. OD does nothing for those two IMO. To give your 2 best players the opportunity to produce as much as they can they should play with a guy that compliments them to some extent. Rocco is the ONLY player that does that. Danny and Corbin basically scored in the Tech series on great individual plays. The chance of those plays diminishes as the competition gets stiffer.

While I didn't look it up to verify his claim, Hak said in the 3-4 games or whatever it was that they played with Rocco on the top line, they only had one 5x5 goal. So while they may have been generating changes, they weren't lighting up the scoreboard. From the way he talked about it, I would guess that O'D (or someone else) will likely stay on the top line and Rocco will stay on the second line for the majority of shifts to spread out the scoring threats.

What about putting parks with Pattyn and Rodwell?

I'd put Parks with the MacMacs before that. MarkMac needs someone with speed to keep up with him. MitchMac seems the trailer/garbage collector/shooter that trails.

Remember my theory: Getter - Setter - Shooter

O'D - Knight - Kristo

Parks - MarkMac - MitchMac

Rowney - Rocco - Caggiula

and a grind-line.

I'd put Parks with the MacMacs before that. MarkMac needs someone with speed to keep up with him. MitchMac seems the trailer/garbage collector/shooter that trails.

Remember my theory: Getter - Setter - Shooter

O'D - Knight - Kristo

Parks - MarkMac - MitchMac

Rowney - Rocco - Caggiula

and a grind-line.

Rocco's days of playing center should be over....too small to stay in the circle. I'd be fine with him up top but I'm also fine with him where he is. Not sure on OD and Mitch though....Caggs looked good.

I like your post but Rocco knight and kristo would never be a defensive liability.

I'm not entirely sure why everyone keeps ragging on OD and Mitch.

Each player routinely on the 4th line (Pattyn, St Clair, Jim, Rodwell) have a point per game production of <0.2. Since scoring isn't their primary role, this makes sense.

Kristo, Knight, Grimaldi, Mark MacMillan, and Rowney all have PTS/G of 0.65 or above. We expect them to score more often than not, and they're guaranteed line-up spots.

So it's the remaining 4 forward spots that are debatable. Chyzyk is the outlier of the group on the low end (0.25). The rest (Mitch, Caggiula, Gaarder, Parks, and OD) all have PTS/G between 0.32-0.4. That's not that big of a difference.

Now, I realize that there is a lot more to contributing than just points on the scoresheet. I just don't think it makes a ton of sense to sit one player for 'not doing anything out there' when the replacement option hasn't done anything more. At that point, I would think it becomes more of an issue of chemistry and how they've looked in practice that week.

• Upvote 2

I don't think Hak loosened "the system" on Sunday. I think he told the guys to shoot the damn puck. Stop with the pretty plays and put rubber on net. Get to the greasy areas and clean up if the rebound is there. They just fired away. Hammer and Kober often commented about shots taken where on previous nights that would have been a pass.

I think the team really wanted to win, and I think the coaches told them to quit trying to make SportCenter (i.e. quit trying to dunk the puck).