SiouxSports.com Forum

Officiating

mikejm

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd avoid throwing down with Potulny, but none of the other Gophers could fight their way out of a paper bag. I'm sure the cheap-ass Gophers will try and pick a fight with Murray or Parise at the end of the game when they look up at that Mariucci scoreboard and are embarrased. My prediction is that Troy Riddle cheap shots Brady Murray (because Riddle like all Gophers is a coward and will seek out the smallest player to fight). I hope Murray, who played Jr in Canada and probably has been in a brawl or two despite his frame will school Mr private school prima donna Riddle in the art of hockey fighting.

Post this one over on the POI and sit back and watch the fireworks...

Flames aside, are you guys kidding me? Going after Murray? WHY? Murray hasn't been mugged very much the entire season! If anyone on the Sioux is going to be cheap shot, it's Parise. Odd because Bochenski is the lead scoring threat.

I don't thin the Gophers are all that cheap. They clutch and grab, but the hardly cheap shot like other teams around the NCAA (BC, UAA apparently). When it comes to poor penalties for the Gophers it mostly is due to letting emotions get into the play (Or what Woog would call "Spirited hockey"). Vanek is the best at letting his emotions get the best of him this season, but then again, Vanek isn't a defensive forward to begin with and after getting burned time and time again, he's bound to get frustrated. Tallackson is big and sluggish. Has footwork problems. If you burn him, he grabs ya so that he could keep up.

I agree about Vanek and Tallackson. I do not agree about Riddle. Riddle plays pretty fairly and takes what ice time he can get. Ballard is no different, but that's one of the reasons why I think the Gophers are screwed without him. Ballard is the smartest player on the Gophers. PERIOD. So.....

WPoS- I concede to that point, but in an ideal situation, one would hope for impartiality. But in our world, anything close would be the best.

Sorry, Mr. Troy Riddle lover, I didn't mean to insult your boyfriend. I guess Riddle isn't a prima donna, It's not like he went to Blake or Breck. He was forced out to BSM in St Louis Park. As far as mediocre/prima donna gophers go...Whatever happened to Woog's kid? Also, I saw in the Star TRib last weekend that Mike Crowley is now working for his uncle in the bond business in CHicago. For all the Hobey winners MN has had, only Neal Broten became anything in the NHL. At least UND's one Hobey winner has had a long career. Oh, How many members of the gold medal winning WJC team USA play for the Gophers? Also, aside from the Shattuck players (who really don't count as being from MN any more than Marian Gaborik does) were from MN?

As a 2000 BSM grad, and someone who knew Troy persnally let me assure you that this is completely off base and has no merit. He chose Minnehaha Academy because Jack Blatherwick coached there. Jack went to BSM and Troy followed. I've never known him to be a cheap player.

The good news that the last couple of years the Gophs have endured a lot of questionable regular season calls, only to get a lot of breaks in the post season. Basically, the teams have to just grind through it. The holding and tackling will be called in the regionals.

I do agree that the Gophers got the benefit of calls in the postseason, but the regionals aren't any better than the regular season. One of UND's best teams (among many) ever was the 1998-99 team that lost to BC in an ugly game of "Catch the Sioux and Hold Them." Needless to say we lost and that is when Dean decided we needed bigger players to combat the holding.

As a 2000 BSM grad, and someone who knew Troy persnally let me assure you that this is completely off base and has no merit. He chose Minnehaha Academy because Jack Blatherwick coached there. Jack went to BSM and Troy followed. I've never known him to be a cheap player.

Last person I think of when I think of cheap players is Riddle.

Flames aside, are you guys kidding me? Going after Murray? WHY? Murray hasn't been mugged very much the entire season!

Murray has been hit a lot after the whistle. I don't know if it is because he is small or if he tries to mouth off to people, but he is a target.

TC transplant, You seem to get away with a lot here; your one-liners fly under the radar. Poor WPOS takes all the flack.

And he adds nothing to the conversation but barbs and jabs at UND. I guess maybe he should go over over to POI... UND fans would get banned there for doing the same thing...

And he adds nothing to the conversation but barbs and jabs at UND. I guess maybe he should go over over to POI... UND fans would get banned there for doing the same thing...

No sweat I can bring back pileofcrap on ice on POI...and refer to Mariucci as a "dump" (which it is).

if you guys don't like TC transplant so much, quit complaining about it and get your admins to either:

1) "talk" to him via e-mail to behave better or

2) ignore his comments

WPoS

Or just do what they do on POI - ban him if we don't like his commentary. I for one like the controversy - keep him on. If everyone agreed and had the same opinion about every topic the board would be a boring place.

For those of you who don't read the board at USCHO.com, this is how I started my week on this subject:

"Holding" penalties that require the victim to get stiches to close the cut on their chin from the stick of the offender are on The List. (It had to be "holding" or else a major would have been mandated. Then again, the victim is more than four feet tall and thus isn't that high-sticking? No. Holding.)

(Before you all rip me, I've been paid to wear stripes, but) Officials who think an "evenly called game" means that the same number of penalties were called on each team are on The List. 

Forgive me, but the officiating in the NCAA and the WCHA right now allows for a game that is more dangerous, and worse to watch, than any World Juniors or even National Hockey League game.

How about we go back to the simple standards of:

- by the rule book as written (no matter how many that'll call during a game), and

- two hands on YOUR stick with your stick on the ice.

Where's this coming from?

For making it clear in the third period Saturday that he wasn't going to call any penalties on the road team, WCHA official Bill Mason is on The List.

Matt Greene took a stupid (and earned) cross checking penalty in the first on Saturday to put UND down 5 on 3. The exact same penalty happened directly in front of Mason in the third. He could not have missed it because it happened in his line of sight to the puck. He didn't call it to put UAA down 5 on 3. For this he appears twice on The List this week.

Like I said, I believe this situation, non-enforcement of the rules, has gone from laughable in its inpropriety .... to dangerous.

Me, rant? Never. :glare:

We have to stay on message here. If we want the quality of WCHA hockey to improve we can not stand for this "two rule books" mentality.

Or just do what they do on POI - ban him if we don't like his commentary. I for one like the controversy - keep him on. If everyone agreed and had the same opinion about every topic the board would be a boring place.

There's a fine line between "controversy" and "trolling". There are places for both, as well.

There is a perfectly good place for flaming. It is called USCHO.com. Most flames are encouraged and welcomed there. It can certainly be fun. Flaming here or on POI is like Barry Bonds hitting 100 homers in a season, in Japan. You want to talk trash, go take your shots with the flamers.

It is my guess that sites like this one and POI were designed as an outlet for a teams fans that don't want to sift through the junk. TC Transplant is in no way respecting the intent of the board, and should suffer what ever the Admin/users sees fit. However, the admin shouldn't have to worry about "problem" users, common courtesy should be applied by TC.

There is a perfectly good place for flaming. It is called USCHO.com. Most flames are encouraged and welcomed there. It can certainly be fun. Flaming here or on POI is like Barry Bonds hitting 100 homers in a season, in Japan. You want to talk trash, go take your shots with the flamers.

It is my guess that sites like this one and POI were designed as an outlet for a teams fans that don't want to sift through the junk. TC Transplant is in no way respecting the intent of the board, and should suffer what ever the Admin/users sees fit. However, the admin shouldn't have to worry about "problem" users, common courtesy should be applied by TC.

Yeah whatever...Just all sit around hold hands and sing cumbaya then.

I have pointed out this thread to WCHA league officials. (I believe a couple have looked in on it.)

If you all have decided that the greater issue here, officiating, is not important and choose to discredit and distract the discussion with petty side spats so be it. You are only harming your greater cause. You'll have no one else to blame.

Your friendly neighborhood Board Moderator

I have pointed out this thread to WCHA league officials. (I believe a couple have looked in on it.)

If you all have decided that the greater issue here, officiating, is not important and choose to discredit and distract the discussion with petty side spats so be it. You are only harming your greater cause. You'll have no one else to blame.

Your friendly neighborhood Board Moderator

Everyone edit your posts, and make sure that you complain about the refs in a constructive manner!!!

I'm bumping this thread back to the top because of related comments made over the weekend by Cornell coach Mike Schafer that are summarized here on USCHO in the sidebar titled "A Message." In its game with RPI, Cornell had two players injured from hitting from behind infractions that went uncalled. Here's the money quote from Schafer:

"That's two of the most horse[bleep]refereed games back to back since I've been associated as a head coach in this league, and it's damn embarassing," Schafer said. "You've got three players in the last three games [at Lynah], a slash to the jaw, a hit from behind, a slash to the hand, another hit from behind, are all [bleeping] hurt because these guys won't protect the student athlete. I'm not asking for judgment calls, I'm asking them to protect the damn players in the game."

Schafer's comments are being discussed in this thread on USCHO titled "Bravo to the Cornell Coach." Adam Wodon, who's a writer and columnist for USCHO, makes a good point in a post about Cornell that I think also applies to UND.

Actually, Cornell is a team consistently hurt by being so strong on their skates. Because Cornell players are strong, and taught not to go down, they get held and stay on their skates, and don't draw calls. Other teams get knocked over easily, or dive, and get called. So, i.e. both teams are holding, but a team like Cornell tends to not get calls because they don't go down. To me, this is the number one example I'm talking about when it comes to obstruction. This kind of thing has to be recognized by officials. Players shouldn't need to dive to draw calls.