SiouxSports.com Forum

Officiating

mikejm

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW - For The Sicatoka to complain it must have been pretty bad....I don't recall if I've never seen him complain about officiating.

My mom doesn't either. She always tells me that the Sioux and their opponents play dirty. So when she complains about the officiating, you know it's legit. :glare:

From my angle:

Parise was hooked high, the stick got up on him (and cut him) and slowed him down, and he was then grabbed and put down on the ice. This all happened along the boards at the dot as he was trying to cycle out of the corner.

The "holding" was called.

And that was the second UAA man in; he dragged a UAA player who had him wrapped up from the corner to behind the net, where he was picked up and thrown down. He got back up and the second guy took over with the high stick and second take down. It was about 15-20 seconds of ride time total, with Mason watching, before the whistle was blown. Unbelievable, and just a glimpse of what went on all weekend.

Greyeagle: It's gone from laughable to dangerous.

I concur. I was somewhat facetious in my wrestling comment, but it's become a bigger problem every year. And no, I don't claim the Gophers are innocent by any means, they do their share of grabbing and holding like any other team.

PCM - Moms are never wrong. :glare:

Editted to eliminate my name.

I am writing now to voice my concern over recent events over the past few years that put risk to the longevity of the WCHA as the premiere NCAA DI hockey conference. I have been a fan of hockey since my freshman year of college (1995) and from there, moved on to being an avid fan of the NHL as well.

One of the things I have noticed as a big difference between the NHL and the WCHA in terms of game play is not the players on the ice. It's not the venues or even the ticket prices. It is the officiating. In the NHL, I see penalties being called all the time when an infraction is made or there is a play that commences that could (or did) result in the injury to a player. This is not so apparent in the WCHA.

I am not going to point fingers or say anyone needs to be fired. I really cannot make those decisions, but I can urge you to help prevent all the premiere players from seeing the WCHA as a poor place to play and then heading to major juniors. Worse still, make the decision to do that or go pro before they graduate for reasons other than the money. After last weekend's series, I feel Zach Parise is in danger of doing just that: signing with the Devils to prevent himself from getting injured. Too long have the officials overlooked teams play against star players, not just Parise. However, when Parise came to the ref on Saturday bleeding from his neck and there was no call on his behalf, I fear that opposing teams will view this as precedent on how much they can get away with against the Sioux and then do some real damage with only the threat of a minor penalty at best.

The officiating must change. They must improve to not only enforcing the rules of the game in a professional, consistent, and fair manner; but also improve in such a manner to discourage attempts to injure players star or otherwise. Objectivity is becoming more and more questioned among my peers when it comes to officiating and I am concerned that I may hold the same grudges when I head to the arena to cheer my team on. Looking at trends, "clutch and grab" hockey, as it has been termed by my peers, has become more and more common with less calls being made regarding that and more calls regarding personnel infractions (too many men on the ice) taking its place. This must change. I suggest suspensions be handed out by the front office if the player is deemed to be attempting to injure the players.

In other news, I suggest that the refs get paid more. I am unsure if the poor pay is anything related to their poor performance, but I do believe that they are forced to put up with a lot for very little. I also suggest younger head refs that have a better chance of skating with the pace of the game. Too many noncalls and bad penalties have been called because the ref simply could not catch up with the players. And lastly, give more officiating duties to the ARs. They should not feel any angst about calling a penalty if they see one. Especially if it is overt or a potentially injuring play.

Please protect our players. Make the WCHA an appealing place to play. If the reputation comes down that the WCHA is the fairest officiated best conference to play in, then we will get more quality players, more coverage, and less early turnover. I truly believe that.

Thank you for your time.

I think I did a good job, but I suppose, rereading it, there is room for improvement.

So what happens next? Bochenski gets cross-checked into the crease on the 5 on 4 in front of Mason and .... no call.

If you and I are thinking of the same incident I'm surprised Bo can even walk after that one. I'm not joking. He got absolutely blasted and I was concerned if he'd get back up.

I my honest opinion (not to be a homer) the only thing that will stop this talented Sioux team is lack of officiating.

Before you go ripping me on this one, I understand you cannot and should not blame refs, but when it is as obvious and evident as it has been latley you have to be honest with the situation.

What you have to consider too is that the Ref's are almost forced to call against certain schools, just to keep college hockey afloat. I mean if you think about it, well over half the schools in college hockey you would have never even heard of if it wasn't for their division I status.

Think about their recruiting. If you wanted to play college hockey, your first choices (outside hometown school) would likely be major universities like Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc. Next on the list would be notable universities with major hockey programs (ie - Div I) such as North Dakota, Boston U, Maine, New Hampshire, etc. After a while you would get to the other universities with major hockey programs - but who maybe aren't household names (regardless of their success) like St Cloud St, Ferris St, Quinnipiac, Lake Superior, etc.

That doesn't leave much for recruiting if you're one of the latter schools. Hockey is a northern sport, and foreigners have little reason to play college hockey here rather then junior hockey back home. With slim pickings, it's no wonder you constantly see the NCAA's filled with BC, BU, CC, Maine, Mich, Minn, MSU, No Dakota, and a few lucky no-names.

My point is that if that Ref's call it fair, then every game between Minn & Mankato, Mich & MTU, BC & Merrimack would end up with a score like 8-1. I for one hate the Ref's, but I would hate more to see college hockey with 2 conferences - cuz the little schools cant compete. Schools like Mich Tech have a lot of history in college hockey, and I would hate to see them drop out of Div I. If that means a little clutch & grab, so be it. We will still leave Houghton with 4 points.

What you have to consider too is that the Ref's are almost forced to call against certain schools, just to keep college hockey afloat.

So there should be two rulebooks:

- one for the good teams

- one for the rest (<-- notice how nice I was there :glare: )

Since certain actions aren't penalties under "the rest's" rulebook I'm sure the injuries suffered by good teams due to the actions don't count either. See the problem?

So there should be two rulebooks:

- one for the good teams

- one for the rest (<-- notice how nice I was there :glare: )

Why limit this wonderful concept to college hockey? In every sport -- amateur and professional -- there are "haves" and "have nots." Some teams have better talent. Some teams have more resources. Some teams are better coached and managed. Some teams have it all. They're often called "winners."

If the goal is to prevent good teams from winning, then I suppose it makes perfect sense to have two different rulebooks.

I'm not saying I like it, condone it, or accept it. I do understand it though.

It's just another example of how business is ruining pleasure. It's about money. You will still see the same teams win titles, but you will see more competitive games...which draw more fan interest...yada yada. Have a no-name make a run once in a while doesn't hurt either.

Everything in this backwards world seems to work this way...and the virus has spread to college hockey.

Oh, and who is Greg?

I'm sick of all the talk and nobody every doing everything. Here are three things that should be done in order to get things fixed~

1) Start a post on each WCHA team that has a message board. The first post in the column should have the list of officials addresses and ask people to "NICELY" email their opinions.

2) Somebody send a tape of the Sioux vs. UAA game to each of the officials, one look at that video tape should do all the talking--if other schools have a similar "Worst Officating in History" game tape they should send it as well.

3) Sit back and hope for positive changes. A good idea might be to write those same officials back if in fact there is ever a game that is officiated "pretty well" so they don't think everybody is just a bunch of complainers.

The reason I suggest #1 is if the head officials learn it is more than just Minnesota fans complaining about Vanek being mugged and North Dakota fans whinning that Parise doesn't catch a break things are more likely to happen.

#2 is obvious. I don't know how anybody could sit though that UAA vs. ND game and say that it was fun to watch. If UND scores in overtime and wins the game I would still even vote for a few games where the gophers beat us as a more exciting and fun game to watch (i know that is a very bold and difficult statementto make).

I'm not saying I like it, condone it, or accept it. I do understand it though.

It's just another example of how business is ruining pleasure. It's about money. You will still see the same teams win titles, but you will see more competitive games...which draw more fan interest...yada yada. Have a no-name make a run once in a while doesn't hurt either.

Everything in this backwards world seems to work this way...and the virus has spread to college hockey.

Oh, and who is Greg?

Siouxsuck?? I guess this is in response to my pileofcraponice name in POI??