SiouxSports.com Forum

Officiating

mikejm

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do many of the College refs come through Jr Hockey? I don't see many names I recognize from the USHL, where do the college get their officials? I'm assuming they are based through USAHockey.

My understanding is that most of them come from rehab-to-work programs, prison work release programs and homeless shelters. :lol::glare:

Actually, I don't think many of them come from USAHockey, so much as some vetting process for former players who were too pathetic to coach at Squirt or higher levels.

Actually all of the refs you see on the ice come up through the USA Hockey officiating program - of the officials in USA Hockey a select few are chosen to do the USHL type games and the other junior leagues. Most of those same refs also do the lower college level games - DII/DIII. From there they make their way to the big leagues, as picked by the various leagues around the country.

The idea of poor pay certainly isn't the issue. AR's make well over $100 per game, plus generous per diem. Referees make in the neighborhood of $250 per game plus per diem.

What you have to consider too is that the Ref's are almost forced to call against certain schools, just to keep college hockey afloat. I mean if you think about it, well over half the schools in college hockey you would have never even heard of if it wasn't for their division I status.

Think about their recruiting. If you wanted to play college hockey, your first choices (outside hometown school) would likely be major universities like Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc. Next on the list would be notable universities with major hockey programs (ie - Div I) such as North Dakota, Boston U, Maine, New Hampshire, etc. After a while you would get to the other universities with major hockey programs - but who maybe aren't household names (regardless of their success) like St Cloud St, Ferris St, Quinnipiac, Lake Superior, etc.

That doesn't leave much for recruiting if you're one of the latter schools. Hockey is a northern sport, and foreigners have little reason to play college hockey here rather then junior hockey back home. With slim pickings, it's no wonder you constantly see the NCAA's filled with BC, BU, CC, Maine, Mich, Minn, MSU, No Dakota, and a few lucky no-names.

My point is that if that Ref's call it fair, then every game between Minn & Mankato, Mich & MTU, BC & Merrimack would end up with a score like 8-1. I for one hate the Ref's, but I would hate more to see college hockey with 2 conferences - cuz the little schools cant compete. Schools like Mich Tech have a lot of history in college hockey, and I would hate to see them drop out of Div I. If that means a little clutch & grab, so be it. We will still leave Houghton with 4 points.

Officating is to call the game the way the rule books states not to even it up and give another team the advantage. Your logic is flawed. If can't keep up with the big dogs stay off the porch...

Watching Saturday's game against UAA made me sick. The Alaskain palyers were man handeling a few Sioux players way too much. When I saw Parise come up to Mason bleeding all over, and he did nothing about it really, thats when i was like thats it already. At least Matt Greene got some good hits in here and there. I agree that something needs to be done with the officating. It's getting to be horrible!

Shepherd's Saturday game up here vs. the Gophers two years ago (when they got lucky and swept :glare: ) was the worst I've seen...until this Saturday. Correct me if I am wrong (may only be an NHL rule) isn't blood an automatic double minor? Even if it isn't in the NCAA I've seen officials call it both for and against the Sioux. It's getting dangerous out there now, even with the relatively lax rules about fighting (5 min. major) the NHL seems to be a safer place to be. I understand not wanting to promote fighting at the college level, but if they are going to allow what went on Saturday to continue...let Greene and Schneider have Parise's back without getting suspended for a game.

And since when is slaching the goaltender after the whistle OK?

So "two rule books" is the solution to make college hockey "better." Well, if "better" is pseudo-parity today, sure. If a make-believe close scores and standings are better, sure. If pandering to the lowest common denominator is "better," sure.

But what incentive does that give "the rest" of the schools to improve? You are not going to improve college hockey, build it up, if you allow "the rest" to tear down what there is of it today.

The only way college hockey will get better is to show "the rest" they have to get better.

A lot of it has been said but the officials are not here to make things even. They are not on the ice to be a part of the game at all. Their position, as I stated in my letter, was to enforce the rules in a professional, consistent, and fair manner and to protect the players on the ice from undue injury. THAT'S IT. I don't care if the home team is undefeated and the away team is winless and pathetic. The fact that the one team is winless shows many things about the team and its recruiting practices, but not that they've not gotten their fair chance on the ice. And just because the home team is undefeated doesn't mean that they've gotten every break in the book. Teams out there are going to better than others. That's just how it is. Upsets are to be earned, not given away.

If a ref feels ANYTHING towards any of the teams on the ice, that ref should not be officiating. His job is to be impartial to the extreme, like every game he skates is the first game of the season and the importance to BOTH teams like a playoff game.

And the rulebook I'd use is the NHL rulebook modified for college. If the NHL's officiating is working so well (which IMO it is) then I suggest we use it. And I meant it about suspensions. Players that go out to try to injure another player shouldn't play for a game or two.

A lot of it has been said but the officials are not here to make things even.  They are not on the ice to be a part of the game at all.  Their position, as I stated in my letter, was to enforce the rules in a professional, consistent, and fair manner and to protect the players on the ice from undue injury.  THAT'S IT.  I don't care if the home team is undefeated and the away team is winless and pathetic.  The fact that the one team is winless shows many things about the team and its recruiting practices, but not that they've not gotten their fair chance on the ice.  And just because the home team is undefeated doesn't mean that they've gotten every break in the book.  Teams out there are going to better than others.  That's just how it is.  Upsets are to be earned, not given away.

If a ref feels ANYTHING towards any of the teams on the ice, that ref should not be officiating.  His job is to be impartial to the extreme, like every game he skates is the first game of the season and the importance to BOTH teams like a playoff game. 

And the rulebook I'd use is the NHL rulebook modified for college.  If the NHL's officiating is working so well (which IMO it is) then I suggest we use it.  And I meant it about suspensions.  Players that go out to try to injure another player shouldn't play for a game or two.

while it would be nice to think that refs could really be impartial, I doubt it is really possible. After all they are in their heart of hearts hockey type guys, and you KNOW they grew up gaining some type of opinion on teams. I just want them to be FAIR and CONSISTANT. I mean if a team goes undefeated ecuase they are that much better, who cares, they deserve it. It will only make others try to get better (as stated by others here).

WPoS

I think we could lessen the garbage play by lessening the penalty for fighting in college hockey. I hate fighting in hockey as it takes away from the game, but if a player new that if he mauled Parise he was going to have to drop the gloves with Matt Greene he might think twice. That's how Gretzky got a lot of open ice. Opposing players new if they rode him or cheap shot him they would have to fight McSorley or some other tough guy. The threat of fighting deters players from cheap play. Maybe that's what the WCHA needs. If I were Blais next time I saw Parise get mugged, I'd get the guys number and send one of our less skilled players out to beat him up. If the officials aren't going to do anything about it, then the team needs to.

If I were Blais next time I saw Parise get mugged, I'd get the guys number and send one of our less skilled players out to beat him up.  If the officials aren't going to do anything about it, then the team needs to.

I think you're right on. Good points about Gretzky too.

All night Saturday, I was waiting for a serious speed bag performance to erupt. I guess its good that it didn't happen, but since we have Tech as the next series, I thought maybe we could afford a 1-game suspension. Yes, its not cool, or PC to say things like that, but that's how I feel about it. I really think that a good ass-kicking would have cleaned up the rest of the game considerably. (See Prpich/ Peluso during scrappy Duluth game)

Sometimes you have to "release the hounds."

I'd avoid throwing down with Potulny, but none of the other Gophers could fight their way out of a paper bag. I'm sure the cheap-ass Gophers will try and pick a fight with Murray or Parise at the end of the game when they look up at that Mariucci scoreboard and are embarrased. My prediction is that Troy Riddle cheap shots Brady Murray (because Riddle like all Gophers is a coward and will seek out the smallest player to fight). I hope Murray, who played Jr in Canada and probably has been in a brawl or two despite his frame will school Mr private school prima donna Riddle in the art of hockey fighting.

Is the NHL using the two referee system full-time?

I ask this because I am reading a lot from people that say the NHL has improved it's officiating in the past couple of years and I wonder if this could be part of the reason.

I know Hockey East experimented with two referees a year or two back, but I haven't heard what their results were (maybe it's still in progress). Using the two referee system in the WCHA would help to alleviate any problems refs would have in keeping up with the play, but could you imagine having Mason and Adam doing the same game!?! Yikes!!!

I'd avoid throwing down with Potulny, but none of the other Gophers could fight their way out of a paper bag. I'm sure the cheap-ass Gophers will try and pick a fight with Murray or Parise at the end of the game when they look up at that Mariucci scoreboard and are embarrased. My prediction is that Troy Riddle cheap shots Brady Murray (because Riddle like all Gophers is a coward and will seek out the smallest player to fight). I hope Murray, who played Jr in Canada and probably has been in a brawl or two despite his frame will school Mr private school prima donna Riddle in the art of hockey fighting.

You are way off base. The most likely Gophers to dish out a cheap shot are either Vanek and Tallackson, both have shown a tendency to dish out a serious slash or cross check when things aren't going their way.

Riddle was a city kid looking for a place to play. He picked BSM. Of course, he left them for the USHL after his Junior year. I've watched him for four years and I don't remember him giving anyone a cheap shot, though it probably has happened.

I've seen a lot of prima donnas over the last 15 years come and go for the Gophers, Riddle would not be in that group. Not even for a night.

Sorry, Mr. Troy Riddle lover, I didn't mean to insult your boyfriend. I guess Riddle isn't a prima donna, It's not like he went to Blake or Breck. He was forced out to BSM in St Louis Park. As far as mediocre/prima donna gophers go...Whatever happened to Woog's kid? Also, I saw in the Star TRib last weekend that Mike Crowley is now working for his uncle in the bond business in CHicago. For all the Hobey winners MN has had, only Neal Broten became anything in the NHL. At least UND's one Hobey winner has had a long career. Oh, How many members of the gold medal winning WJC team USA play for the Gophers? Also, aside from the Shattuck players (who really don't count as being from MN any more than Marian Gaborik does) were from MN?

Sorry, Mr. Troy Riddle lover, I didn't mean to insult your boyfriend. I guess Riddle isn't a prima donna, It's not like he went to Blake or Breck. He was forced out to BSM in St Louis Park. As far as mediocre/prima donna gophers go...

Riddle is far from "mediocre".

Why don't you save you juvenile flames for USCHO? :glare: