SiouxSports.com Forum

Officiating

mikejm

Great post, PCM. Its good to see that the problem is getting more press.

Aside, is it a coincidence that I heard a bunch of holding calls made against Tech, and ZP had 7 points this weekend? I don't think so...

The Gophs/MSU series was called tighter as well. If the refs would start calling games like this in October, things wouldn't get so out of hand.

I don't think anything will help Mason though. He thinks he can only blow his whistle five or six times per game.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a 2000 BSM grad, and someone who knew Troy persnally let me assure you that this is completely off base and has no merit. He chose Minnehaha Academy because Jack Blatherwick coached there. Jack went to BSM and Troy followed. I've never known him to be a cheap player.

BSM and SLP had some classic section playoff games! I went to SLP, and it seemed that (at least for as few years) the section was won by either SLP or BSM.

This just in from Commissioner McLeod's office: (an actual reply to my beef concerning the UND-UAA officiating)

First, let me apologize for this generic response to your email. I would normally like to respond to each one of you individually, but in this case that would have been very difficult. Also, this way I can respond on behalf of the various people copied on the different messages.

Secondly, I want to thank each of you for caring enough about Sioux, WCHA and collegiate hockey to take the time and effort to voice your concerns.

Let me say that while I do not wish to debate some of the specific allegations and the degree of concerns you should or should not have, we here at the WCHA share some of your concerns in regard to these trends in hockey and in particular collegiate hockey. In fact at recent meetings, January 11, materials were distributed to raise the awareness level of these concerns and our officiating program was discussed. In addition our Supervisor of Officials, Greg Shepherd, who was at the UND - UAA game on Saturday night and myself have reviewed the game tapes. Greg has followed up with both the game officials involved and all of our head officials with our thoughts. More long term, we are formulating an action plan to include all pertinent entities to put together the most effective way to collectively combat our concerns.

Now, let me tell you that getting this collegiate hockey community on the same page, is not an easy task. But as a person who has been involved with the WCHA and collegiate hockey for thirty plus years I feel I have as high a stake in this league and sport as anyone and can assure you that your concerns are taken to heart and are shared.

Once again, thanks for your concern and for your support of the WCHA.

Best Regards,

Bruce McLeod Commissioner

Carol LaBelle Western Collegiate Hockey Association/College Hockey America Assistant Commissioner 303-871-4491 2190 S. High Street Denver, CO 80210

Anything here give us a hope for improvement?

Anything here give us a hope for improvement?

I think so. Even though "generic", I think it is classy to respond to the e-mails and letters.

Like PCM pointed out... if they were already talking about it last Sunday, Greg S. saw something he didn't like while he was at the game on Saturday. I suppose the system is working to a degree. I just hope it lasts, and it isn't the annual, "lets get better officiating right now, and in a month we'll let them go to crap again."

well unfortunatly I am going to be negative here...after J-Mart got knocked out and went into convulsions as the ref skated past him I was hopefull for a turnaround in the refs, but it went back to business as usual quickly...I doubt it will change much long run :):glare::lol:

WPoS

Like PCM pointed out... if they were already talking about it last Sunday, Greg S. saw something he didn't like while he was at the game on Saturday.

I don't know what Shepherd saw, but I do know some of what he heard and it wasn't complimentary.

A nice reply by Bruce, but I think it is the party line, like WPoS said.

Nevertheless, I am going to take Commissioner McLeod for his word and just hope for the best. Truthfully, I really think change this drastic cannot come from the existing hierarchy. Meaning Greg either needs to be demoted back to referee, retire, or just be replaced entirely. I get the feeling, like WPoS pointed out regarding J-Mart (a player which I do not care much for, but yet... convulsions? I wouldn't even wish that upon any hockey player regardless of team or his gameplay) that Pappa Sheperd is far to "buddy-buddy" with the officials in the league. In an aspect of a sport that has a steep learning curve and little room for error, there really isn't room to run the biz from a friendship standpoint in management. Greg can't be the refs' friend, he just can't. Professional seperation is the key.

A nice reply by Bruce, but I think it is the party line, like WPoS said.

Nevertheless, I am going to take Commissioner McLeod for his word and just hope for the best. Truthfully, I really think change this drastic cannot come from the existing hierarchy. Meaning Greg either needs to be demoted back to referee, retire, or just be replaced entirely. I get the feeling, like WPoS pointed out regarding J-Mart (a player which I do not care much for, but yet... convulsions? I wouldn't even wish that upon any hockey player regardless of team or his gameplay) that Pappa Sheperd is far to "buddy-buddy" with the officials in the league. In an aspect of a sport that has a steep learning curve and little room for error, there really isn't room to run the biz from a friendship standpoint in management. Greg can't be the refs' friend, he just can't. Professional separation is the key.

The nepotism disturbs me more than the relationship he has with the officials. Derrick was a poor AR and get promoted? I wonder how that happened?

While it is nice of McLeod to give "lip service" to the overall dismal level of officiating in this league, I really doubt much will change long-term until the coaches, ADs and maybe school presidents demand change. We can email, discuss and cuss until we're blue, but real change will only come from the people who control that WCHA at higher levels, and that is the schools. This isn't a Parise, Suter, Vanek, or (insert your favorite player) issue, this is a quality of play and safety issue. Until the bigshots realize that the overall health of the league, and maybe some of its players, may suffer as a result of this crop of officials, we will probably not see much improvement. :):glare:

When I sent my email to all of the WCHA Adminstrators my focus was on the safety of the players and in particular the marquee players of the WCHA. My take was that the WCHA officials have theorized that the best players should be able to "skate through the holding , slashing, hooking, etc. if they were so damn good".

What has happened is that the best players in this league have almost been nullified and even injured because of the lack of correct officiating. Hey if I can pummel a player like Peter Seyna and "hold" him to a point in the game without getting called for a penalty, I've given my team a chance to win.

My feeling has always been call the game by the rulebook and if a team can't score on their power play they don't deserve to win.

The poor officiating has made the game regress and will drive players like Parise to the pros for their safety if nothing else.

BSM and SLP had some classic section playoff games! I went to SLP, and it seemed that (at least for as few years) the section was won by either SLP or BSM.

What part of SLP are you from? I grew up in SLP and played youth hockey there. I live around the Miracle Mile-Browndale Park area. Would the name Obbarius ring a bell (I live across the street from them)? Who knows...I might even know you.

I know what years you are refering to. 1998 SLP won a shootout 8-5 against us in the Section 5A finals, then the next year we beat Totino-Grace 6-2 (after they squeaked by SLP) to go to the state tourney (and ultimately our school's first state championship...beating UMD's Jon Fransicso and Hermantown 3-2 in OT in the first round, Riddle had a hatty in that game). Section 5 is the strongest section in Class A by a long shot. Not only BSM, TG, and SLP...but Breck and Blake are in it as well.

The poor officiating has made the game regress and will drive players like Parise to the pros for their safety if nothing else.

There in the NHL, they will never get hooked, slashed, held, cross-checked AND all the guys are slower and smaller. Are kidding me?

There in the NHL, they will never get hooked, slashed, held, cross-checked AND all the guys are slower and smaller. Are kidding me?

One thing for sure, you can watch an NHL game and not see anything remotely related to what UAA did a week ago. NHL games appear clean comparatively.

What part of SLP are you from? I grew up in SLP and played youth hockey there. I live around the Miracle Mile-Browndale Park area. Would the name Obbarius ring a bell (I live across the street from them)? Who knows...I might even know you.

I know what years you are refering to. 1998 SLP won a shootout 8-5 against us in the Section 5A finals, then the next year we beat Totino-Grace 6-2 (after they squeaked by SLP) to go to the state tourney (and ultimately our school's first state championship...beating UMD's Jon Fransicso and Hermantown 3-2 in OT in the first round, Riddle had a hatty in that game). Section 5 is the strongest section in Class A by a long shot. Not only BSM, TG, and SLP...but Breck and Blake are in it as well.

I live in Northern SLP now, near the 169/394 interchange. The name Obbarius rings a bell, but only faintly. I graduated from SLP in 1999, and was at most of those section games. The 8-5 section final in 98 when SLP won was one of my favorites. Yes, Section 5A is the toughest section of any. It looks like it will be that way again this year. BSM looks to have another strong team at 8-3-1, and SLP as well at 11-4-0.

Now that we have gotten completely off-topic...

One thing for sure, you can watch an NHL game and not see anything remotely related to what UAA did a week ago. NHL games appear clean comparitively.

The WCHA is where the NHL was about three or four years ago .... about the time the NHL realized it was time to clean up their act.

More importantly, the NHL has cleaned up their act.

Let's hope the WCHA can follow their lead.

From a league whose officials blow the whistle the second a helmet comes loose, you would think the emphasis on safety would translate into less stickwork, holding, and crosschecking (especially from behind). If the league is going to put it's emphasis on safety rather than smooth flowing games (helmet rule), then they need to be consistent in their implementation and enforcement of ALL rules concerning player safety, not just helmets.

From a league whose officials blow the whistle the second a helmet comes loose, you would think the emphasis on safety would translate into less stickwork, holding, and crosschecking (especially from behind). If the league is going to put it's emphasis on safety rather than smooth flowing games (helmet rule), then they need to be consistent in their implementation and enforcement of ALL rules concerning player safety, not just helmets.

I agree. Anytime a helmet comes off, they blow the whistle immediately. Too bad they tend to swallow the whistle when there is a high stick or someone gets crunched into the boards.

I agree. Anytime a helmet comes off, they blow the whistle immediately. Too bad they tend to swallow the whistle when there is a high stick or someone gets crunched into the boards.

again, actually they do NOT. J-Mart hit his bare skull on the ice w/o a whistle...I see no improvement until Greg Seppard is done as the head official.

WPoS

In general this has to be the dumbest rule ever. I don't know if I have ever seen a helmet fly off from a check. It is normally from the opposing player knocking it off. That should bring about a penalty. It is unsportsmanlike, and it is a delay of game.