SiouxSports.com Forum

Indoor Practice Facility Coming Soon!

Sioux10Fan

Easy Dan SU didn't hit the playoffs until 2010 after 2 years in the MVFC and a 3-8 record.

You guys seem to think that only BB and FB count. Our BB team went to the dance along with SB and VB. Track teams won conference championships. Last place in the BSC and a ton of excuses from the athletic dept. I would think UND fans would expect more, but I guess not.

You guys seem to think that only BB and FB count. Our BB team went to the dance along with SB and VB. Track teams won conference championships. Last place in the BSC and a ton of excuses from the athletic dept. I would think UND fans would expect more, but I guess not.

There is no refuting what you say; however, I don't think Faison is pleased with our being mediocre at best in many sports. This is evidenced by many recent coaching changes. There is no question that the IPF will assist with a few of the sports. I know some UND fans' only concern is how we are doing in hockey, football, basketball and now maybe VB but I am one who certainly hope we can become more than respectable in all sports.

Your basketball team went to the dance one time out of 5 years of being eligible where UND is 0 for 1. Volleyball made the conference tourny same with basketball and not everyone in our conference goes to the tournament unlike the SL. Women's basketball was down this year and next season UND joined an AQ conference in baseball. Tell you what Dan compare UND in 4 years with NDSU's first five and see how they rank. So how did SU finish in the 2008-09 season since that is the ONLY year you can compare the two schools.

Gosh, if only UND would enable criminal activity like Tractor Vo-Tech of Fargo.

Oh, then we would have all the "glory" and be the envy of all the mid major D-I schools. Oh, to make Ball State University jealous!

So, so worth it! :silly:

What kind of shape are your WBB and VB programs in right now? Has your women's AD been suspended lately? Glass houses Dan...

The recent coaching changes and push to get the IPF built show that the results aren't acceptable and things are being done to change it.

• Upvote 1

Christ Almighty! Is everything a D*ck measuring contest between us and a school we don't play anymore? Who cares? Our school is getting some major upgrades and everything is on a huge upswing, can we stop poking the trolls down south yet?

Agree!

Like the avatar.

Christ Almighty! Is everything a D*ck measuring contest between us and a school we don't play anymore? Who cares? Our school is getting some major upgrades and everything is on a huge upswing, can we stop poking the trolls down south yet?

Agree...No need to keep comparing to NDSU. Truth be told, they had a better transition and have accomplished more in DI than UND has. Congrats, to them on their accomplishments. Focus on UND. Our revenue sports outside of hockey are mediocre to good at best. Our non-revenue sports...let's just say they need some work. The IPF will help. But UND does need to figure out how to build up the remaining scholarships and raise the profile of our athletics in the Big Sky. We finished in last place for crying out loud. Below ISU, PSU, etc. For being a (the) flagship school in North Dakota, we have some work to do...

• Upvote 1

I agree, last place is totally unacceptable and I'm sure Faison and his coaching staff knows that. The IPF will be huge in terms of recruiting the types of athletes we need to be relevant in Div. 1. I understand that UND (especially the old guard) have a long rivalry with the folks down south, but here we are talking about the progress of our new IPF and NDSU gets brought up. This unfortunately happens in a lot of our threads. Can we not start some beef with Montana or Montana State, or even Idaho instead? These are successful programs (Idaho not so much) within our conference that we should be targeting and getting a rivalry going with. Big things are coming both athletically and academically for UND.

/New pad for practice a perk for UND athletics

The Big Sky Conference recently released its all-sports standings and UND finished in 11th of 11 teams. Of the six UND teams to finish in 11th individually, three of them were track and field (the Big Sky breaks down indoor and outdoor track).

“At the end of the day, the facility will catapult us big time,” UND athletic director Brian Faison said. “A lot of our sports will be impacted. Clearly for track, that will make a significant difference.”

How much will this benefit the track and field program?

“It’s incalculable,” Galbraith said.

Track and field isn’t the only program excited about the new construction about to take place adjacent to Memorial Stadium.

The UND football team had to rework much of its spring schedule with snow on the artificial turf at Memorial Stadium.

“It’ll be important from a preparation standpoint, unless you like to see your top wide receiver running into a pile of snow on the sideline,” Faison said.

The benefit to track and field is obvious, but Faison said there’s a big impact to many of UND’s programs.

I wonder how bad the Spring practices will affect game day performances next season? Hopefully, it won't be to significant. I think that it's the plan B part of the IPF that's going to be most attractive to prospective recruits. Don't get me wrong an indoor practice field and track is huge, but I think what most athletes want to see is the weight rooms and locker rooms. I hope they go all out on those.

I wonder how bad the Spring practices will affect game day performances next season? Hopefully, it won't be to significant. I think that it's the plan B part of the IPF that's going to be most attractive to prospective recruits. Don't get me wrong an indoor practice field and track is huge, but I think what most athletes want to see is the weight rooms and locker rooms. I hope they go all out on those.

I was kind of wondering the same thing. From what I have read it sounds like the majority of the team is staying in GF this summer so my hope is they put in a bunch of time working on the little things such as passing routes / defensive coverage, agility, strength, etc. Which if done properly leads to great team chemistry.

It'll be close to Memorial stadium but it wont overlap it, they still need memorial for outdoor practices and eventually a new on campus stadium (God willing).

If a new stadium is ever built, I think the intention is that Phase II would be underneath the new stadium seating, just like locker rooms are normally under the seating. There wouldn't be a track, so the seating would begin closer to the field. The new turrents on Phase II are about 100 yards apart, and would be about where the straight-on view seating would extend (but much higher).

The admittedly wonderful looking but will we ever see it drawings of a new football stadium on the site of Memorial did not show a track encircling the field. Those drawings envisioned an outdoor track and soccer area (and second parking ramp) in the area that is now a parking lot east of Columbia Road and south of University.

That says to me that (a) there is room for the ITF to come west, and (b) the ITF Phase 2 might be "under" an east grandstand of such a football stadium.