SiouxSports.com Forum

All Time Sioux Greats Roster, who would you choose?

tho0505

Anyone that puts Ralph Engelstad on their version of an all-time team should get a DQ just for that. Our whole program has begun to revolve around Ralph Engelstad, the number "23", Ralph Engelstad Arena and UND players in the NHL and that is not a healthy dynamic.

Please people, limit your selections to players that made a difference in winning games and championships.

REALLY.....i love Dairy Queen!!!

I missed the pre-1984 guys, but since then three guys that to me towered over college hockey in their last seasons were:

Hrkac

Jeff Panzer

Frattin

Each was the best player in college hockey by a pretty fair stretch. That's who I would start with.

Other thoughts: Toews was silky smooth in a way I haven't seen before or since. Odd that Steve Johnson hasn't gotten much love, as he did lead the nation in scoring his senior year. Although I didn't see them play, I have to think Taylor, Smail and Murray probably belong on these lists.

Not a lot of long time fans here that never say these guys play. A couple of years ago I was sitting next to Eades flying back into town probably 2007 or 2008 and I asked him how the new teams would do against the 87 team. He said the 87 team would blow these guys off the ice. Third line guys in 87 would be starters today.

Not a lot of long time fans here that never say these guys play. A couple of years ago I was sitting next to Eades flying back into town probably 2007 or 2008 and I asked him how the new teams would do against the 87 team. He said the 87 team would blow these guys off the ice. Third line guys in 87 would be starters today.

Of course back then they had to skate uphill in both directions

• Upvote 2

Please name 2 "third line guys" from the 1987 team that would "start" in front of Knight, Kristo, and Grimaldi. - Thanks in advance.

• Upvote 1

Who would you choose as an All Time Sioux Greats Roster, if you're limited to 23 players total including goalies? Here is my roster, I took in consideration first and foremost production at UND, leadership, and championships. I used some consideration of their production in the NHL (see Ed Belfour top 5 goalie in the history of the NHL had to make the list despite 1 season at UND).

Here's my roster:

5 Jason Blake C 7 Troy Murray C 8 Doug Smail RW 9 Greg Johnson C 9 Jonathan Toews C 11 Zach Parise LW 11 Dixon Ward RW 11 Teeder Wynne C 16 Ryan Duncan RW 17 Jeff Panzer C 20 Bob Joyce LW 21 Tony Hrkac C 21 Matt Frattin RW 2 Matt Greene D 6 Nick Namenko D 7 Brad Bombardir D 5 Chay Genoway D 2 Curtis Murphy D 6 Ian Kidd D 3 James Patrick D 35 Jon Casey G 1 Karl Goehring G 29 Ed Belfour G Honorable Mentions 7 TJ Oshie LW 18 Drew Stafford RW Travis Zajac C Dave Christian LW 13 Landon Wilson RW 7 Danny Kristo LW 10 Corban Knight C 22 Mike Commodore D 2 Dave Hakstol D 34 JP Lamoureux G 25 Phil Sykes F Mark Taylor F Cary Eades RW

Keep in mind, I grew up watching and attending games in the 90s as a kid. So players like Wynne, Bombardir, and Namenko were some of my favorites.

.........Duncan better than Oshie and Taylor??...Oh,please...

I missed the pre-1984 guys, but since then three guys that to me towered over college hockey in their last seasons were:

Hrkac

Jeff Panzer

Frattin

Each was the best player in college hockey by a pretty fair stretch. That's who I would start with.

Other thoughts: Toews was silky smooth in a way I haven't seen before or since. Odd that Steve Johnson hasn't gotten much love, as he did lead the nation in scoring his senior year. Although I didn't see them play, I have to think Taylor, Smail and Murray probably belong on these lists.

From that era, Phil Sykes was one of the best I've seen.

I honestly think it would be reversed, their first line guys would be third liners on this team. 60 points nowadays is like 100 back then, it happens very rarely. The game has evolved so much and the players are exponentially bigger, faster, and stronger. Not to mention the jump that goaltenders have taken since then, there is no way to compare the two time periods effectively, but I can say for certain, if you are on the first line in 2012, you sure would be on the first line in 1987.

I honestly think it would be reversed, their first line guys would be third liners on this team. 60 points nowadays is like 100 back then, it happens very rarely. The game has evolved so much and the players are exponentially bigger, faster, and stronger. Not to mention the jump that goaltenders have taken since then, there is no way to compare the two time periods effectively, but I can say for certain, if you are on the first line in 2012, you sure would be on the first line in 1987.

How many games did you see them play? So you would play this years first line over Joyce, Bobber, and Hrkac? Guys that finish the play versus guys that finish only half the time?

What do you mean by "starters"? Are you a basketball fan? Thought we were talking hockey here. Hockey has lines. Sometimes the third line starts the game. Sometimes the first line. Depends on match ups. Love hearing hockey parents puff out their chests and brag about how their kids "start" for the local hockey team. Really? Good for you.

Not fair to compare the 87 guys to the current teams...however, being as old and biased as I am, there wasn't anyone in the country then who could skate with these guys...those of us who saw them up close that year knew what a special team they were...at some point during the year people were expecting them to win it all...they were that good...how that translates into today's game; it's hard to say but I would take my chances with the Hrkac Circus team...and you can jam your '92 Maine and '68? Cornell teams as well...:)

• Upvote 2

Kristo is a stud. What he lacks though is consistent clinical finishing.

Does anyone know if they keep track of any stats regarding "chances converted" or something like that? It's tough for me to say a guy lacks the consistent ability to finish his chances without knowing what his percentage is and how it compares to the rest of the league. Back in '87 I'm sure chances were converted on a higher rate simply because the goalies and team defenses weren't as stout as they are today. It's extremely difficult to compare eras based on the numbers.

Kristo is a stud. What he lacks though is consistent clinical finishing.

Danny has gotten better every year he has been here. IMO he has been very underrated and underappreciated in his 4 years here. Last year and this year you could count on 2 hands and have fingers left over how many times he wasn't one of UND's top 3 players game in and game out.

You just can't compare eras. The most glaring thing you see when watching old highlights is how terrible the goalies were. For that reason, Frattin's 36 goals were to me a bigger accomplishment than Joyce's 52. I also think if you transplanted yesterday's stars onto today's teams, they wouldn't be able to keep up, as guys are much faster and stronger.

That said, the only fair comparison is how they looked compared to their peers at the time, and by that measure the names posted here deserve to be considered all-time greats. Hrkac certainly made people look sillier than anyone else I can think of.