SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Ten: No more FCS

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

any attempt to lock out schools or conferences again would be met with swift anti-trust action. As it is, teams wanting to move up would have a solid case in court if they wanted/needed to.

Anyway alverez, like the saban and bensen also quote in this thread, was talking out his ass.

What? The Big Ten is not obligated to schedule FCS teams Im sorry.

Why couldn't UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU, UM, MSU, UI, ISU, and possibly a few others form an FBS conference and grow together?

Believe it or not, a long time ago (sometime in the 1970s, I think) it was suggested those same eight universities should get together to form a conference. I'm not certain how seriously close it came into being. I think there was concern about expanded travel costs. I think most of the schools at the time where content with where they were at the time, so nothing much came of it except a lot of speculation. Perhaps someone else out there has more specifics on the situation.

Yep and people can critique their choices.

Of course they can. I was referring to the earlier post that the FCS could sue the Big Ten. I'm no lawyer but I have to believe that the Big Ten is well within their legal rights to stop scheduling lower division programs if they so choose.

Of course they can. I was referring to the earlier post that the FCS could sue the Big Ten. I'm no lawyer but I have to believe that the Big Ten is well within their legal rights to stop scheduling lower division programs if they so choose.

yeah, you can't force someone to schedule you... see NDAC football ;)

I'm sure since there wasn't a boycott by the entire FBS that any attempted lawsuit would be shot down since there are still plenty of options

That's my thought as well. However, if the Big Ten does make it their official policy it could easily lead to other conferences taking the same action.

I'm sure it was written ' we the big ten football conference (cough cough) ( university of Minnesota) ( cough cough) will discontinue scheduling lower division opponents ( so Minnesota stops embarrassing the entire conference further cough cough)

• Upvote 1

With the four team playoff and subjective selection coming...the other power leagues will follow don't ya think?

I hope so. My first love is UND hockey but my love for college hockey in general doesn't even come close to my love of college football and these FBS vs FCS matchups are usually such a joke and a waste of a weekend, especially when it's one of the FBS teams I follow.

I'd also like to see this change happen across the country so top-tier FCS teams will stop scheduling an FBS team just to get a big pay day when there are plenty of great non-conference FCS matchups I'd like to see.

Why couldn't UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU, UM, MSU, UI, ISU, and possibly a few others form an FBS conference and grow together?

I can understand the desire to move to FBS. However I think UND is right where they belong. They are a mid-talent Big Sky team at this point and there only a few Big Sky teams who could even compete with low-end FBS teams from non-AQ conferences, such as the MAC and MWC.

I personally wouldn't want to see the FBS watered down anymore than it is and I'd like to see UND find a lot more success at the FCS level before a conversation about going FBS even starts.

Just my view on things.

I hope so. My first love is UND hockey but my love for college hockey in general doesn't even come close to my love of college football and these FBS vs FCS matchups are usually such a joke and a waste of a weekend, especially when it's one of the FBS teams I follow.

I'd also like to see this change happen across the country so top-tier FCS teams will stop scheduling an FBS team just to get a big pay day when there are plenty of great non-conference FCS matchups I'd like to see.

Have the NCAA change the rule saying playing FCS games don't count.

Have the NCAA change the rule saying playing FCS games don't count.

That would probably be a mess, bad FBS teams could schedule most of their OOC games with FCS teams trying to make their record look better, which would leave other FCS teams with limited options for OOC games and force them to play FBS teams (or DII or NAIA games) whether they wanted to or not.

I think the post you were referring to was itself referring to my post about the NCAA not letting an FCS conference move up to FBS as a group. He was suggesting the FCS schools could sue the NCAA, not sue the B1G.

edit: oops, just a bit too slow.

That would probably be a mess, bad FBS teams could schedule most of their OOC games with FCS teams trying to make their record look better, which would leave other FCS teams with limited options for OOC games and force them to play FBS teams (or DII or NAIA games) whether they wanted to or not.

Schools only being able to play schools in their division would create a mess? That's news to me. Isn't that how things usually suppose to go. College hockey seems alright doing it. It would be the same for football or any sport.

Schools only being able to play schools in their division would create a mess? That's news to me. Isn't that how things usually suppose to go. College hockey seems alright doing it. It would be the same for football or any sport.

Ah, I misunderstood, I thought you were saying change the rule that says FCS games don't count (after the first one).

Never mind. :)

• 3 months later...

Per Dom Izzo tweet:

https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY

What does this mean for #FCSFootball? SEC commish Mike Slive: "I made it clear (to the schools) to upgrade (their non-conference) schedules"

SEC's Mike Slive:"I don't want (our schools) to play four (non-conference) games that don't interest our fans" Good or bad for #FCSFootball?

So will the SEC join the B1G in banning FCS games?

I would like to see other BCS conferences follow the lead of the Big Ten on this matter. I have never been a fan of the D1 vs. I-AA, I-AA vs. D2, or D2 vs. D3 matchups. In a perfect world I would like to see all teams schedule only within their own division.

Hey, is this your first time here in a while? If so, welcome back Dave.
  • Upvote 1

I would like to see other BCS conferences follow the lead of the Big Ten on this matter. I have never been a fan of the D1 vs. I-AA, I-AA vs. D2, or D2 vs. D3 matchups. In a perfect world I would like to see all teams schedule only within their own division.

Seen this movie before....

• Upvote 2