SiouxSports.com Forum

impact of new conference on TV broadcast

Anderson2200

I agree. FSN was not a good example, let's say, Root or some other regional provider which is not in direct competition with Midco.

I assume it would not be contractually allowed but I could be wrong so I wonder...

My guess is that Midco would be allowed to do that. It might get questionable if Midco was able to sell to a bunch of other regional providers all over the country. But I doubt that it would be a problem if they sold to a limited number of providers (although I don't see that happening anyway).

Interesting numbers from last week's game...

The University of North Dakota took on Nebraska-Omaha on Friday, Feb. 8 and drew 146,000 viewers, the most on record for a college hockey game on the NBC Sports Network. North Dakota is one of the more popular programs in the nation with many well-known NHL alumni, so they pack what amounts to a punch when it comes to college hockey ratings

North Dakota vs. Nebraska-Omaha draws NBC Sports Network college hockey high - SBNation.com

• Upvote 1

..OOOOPS, I forgot one other option, if you are really a die hard Sioux fan, you COULD, for a small fee, PURCHASE the game on your computer through the University of North Dakota, So whenever you read or engage in discussions about whether Faison did or did not fight hard enough to allow us to have our own(FCS like) national option you should consider the POSSIBILITY that there was motivation on UND's part to "not fight to hard" for our right to broadcast nationally because the school will be acquiring a significant revenue stream from internet broadcast sales. A revenue stream that would be massively diminished if Midco got itself onto Directtv, Dish or another national cable provider

It will be interesting to see just how much revenue they get from internet broadcasts? I know I will be buying every single game.

I live in Bismarck with a quality midco hd feed,

I have a slingbox to use as well in case of travel...

I hooked up the dish package at the inlaws farm in case we are out there...

Have the UND insider app on android and iPhone/iPad

And AS i am a diehard supporterI purchased UND insider streaming package....just in case......

It came in handy on a hunting trip this fall during the Duluth series.

Plus there's always I heart app and the audio stream of Hennessey just in case.

Right here.

http://www.champions...php?f=4&t=34126

Wasn't even the highest viewed FCS tournament game :lol:

Minnesota's crappy bowl had 4.5 million viewers.

Thanks for the link. Considering how many viewers a lot of those crappy bowl games drew NDSU's numbers really are not that impressive. I wonder if it included the channel surfers that stopped and said, "What the hell is a NDSU-Sam Houston game?" Click on to the next channel.

That's pretty impressive. That's the reason I think there will be a fairly healthy diet of UND and Denver games on CBSSN next season. It will be interesting to see what the numbers will be on NBCSN for for friday's game between the Sioux and Pioneers. Have to think it will probably surpass the numbers for the UND-UNO game, given Denver's following. Anyone know if there is a website where one can easily check TV ratings?

I have yet another question for Jayson Hajdu: Do you by chance know what nights the CBSSN plans to air games? Fridays, Saturdays, or both? I'm assuming it will probably be only Friday's. The college basketball schedule is normally pretty light on Friday's, which is why it seems there is more college hockey to be found on Friday's versus Saturdays.

I think time of day would have a lot to do with those numbers. If the hockey national title game was at 12 noon on a Saturday I'm sure the numbers would be much lower than the number they get in the primetime Saturday slot. Anyone have numbers for the first semifinal game usually played on Thursday afternoon? I'm sure those numbers are quite low. So much goes into TV numbers, it's hard to take them too seriously.. also have to consider what else is on TV at that exact time which would draw viewers away. College basketball is on their week break when the Frozen Four is on, so that helps ratings immensely too.

That's pretty impressive. That's the reason I think there will be a fairly healthy diet of UND and Denver games on CBSSN next season. It will be interesting to see what the numbers will be on NBCSN for for friday's game between the Sioux and Pioneers. Have to think it will probably surpass the numbers for the UND-UNO game, given Denver's following. Anyone know if there is a website where one can easily check TV ratings?

I have yet another question for Jayson Hajdu: Do you by chance know what nights the CBSSN plans to air games? Fridays, Saturdays, or both? I'm assuming it will probably be only Friday's. The college basketball schedule is normally pretty light on Friday's, which is why it seems there is more college hockey to be found on Friday's versus Saturdays.

The doubleheaders (of which there will be 3-4) will all be on Fridays, but single games will be a mix of Fridays and Saturdays.

If the hockey national title game was at 12 noon on a Saturday I'm sure the numbers would be much lower than the number they get in the primetime Saturday slot.

The fact the hockey national title game is NOT on at 12 noon on a Saturday (anymore) says something about D1 hockey being more popular than FCS football. But..........let's not get too hung up on the D1 hockey vs. FCS football debate, because we all would like to see UND playing the FCS title game before too long.

I think time of day would have a lot to do with those numbers. If the hockey national title game was at 12 noon on a Saturday I'm sure the numbers would be much lower than the number they get in the primetime Saturday slot. Anyone have numbers for the first semifinal game usually played on Thursday afternoon? I'm sure those numbers are quite low. So much goes into TV numbers, it's hard to take them too seriously.. also have to consider what else is on TV at that exact time which would draw viewers away. College basketball is on their week break when the Frozen Four is on, so that helps ratings immensely too.

College basketball is over the Monday prior to the Frozen Four. NCAA basketball doesn't take a break like NCAA hockey does. The Frozen Four is typically on the same weekend as the Masters which gives it some competition for TV viewers,

The doubleheaders (of which there will be 3-4) will all be on Fridays, but single games will be a mix of Fridays and Saturdays.

Are they going to be doing one game weekends at any given venue? Like CBS SPORTS TV does or College Sports TV used to do? I have never understood why a network would spend all the money and crew costs associated with a traveling broadcast and NOT cover BOTH games when they are 20 hours apart? The Friday game is advertising for the Sat game. It's the nature of the whole thing..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those that have directtv/dish sports paks, you can find lots of high school and college sports (including basketball, football, and hockey), whenever the networks regional pro teams (NBA/NHL) do not fill the slot. So, while I don't see a lot of interest in midco sports net high school sports nationally, it's really not much different than the other regional networks that they provide, except that most have a professional sports footprint as well.

It would still seem that if Sioux fans demand midco sports net be added to satellite or cable networks, or, they let those providers know they will be dropping the service for something else if they don't, that will improve the chances of midco sports net being added.

I hate posting this stuff since I'm PO'ed at losing FTA, but, I will find some way to watch Sioux hockey, whatever that may be.

Didn't know where to put this, but does anyone else watch the Wild? FSN right now and prior has a stretched out screen, can't read the beginning of the score, or the FSN logo.

Just to be safe... check your settings on your TV. You could have settings that are stretching it more than it should. Generally, FSN and other stations have their stuff figured out, so it usually is either on the provider (comcast, directv, etc) end or the customer's end.

Especially if you're going from watching a previous UND game (4x3) and having your TV stretch it and now you're watching 16x9 and it's still stretching even though it shouldn't.