SiouxSports.com Forum

impact of new conference on TV broadcast

Anderson2200

It was stated earlier that if CBSSN has a doubleheader that UND isn't involved in, midco won't be able to broadcast the UND game even if its at home. Although I know there's nothing UND could do about it, I find that to be the most depressing thing too.

This is correct. Webcast would be your only option in this case.

While personal viewing options is obviously important, I think a lot of us care about the overall exposure of the program. The main problem with webcasts has been quality, but another problem is that a webcast is a destination viewing option. Nobody stumbles across a webcast when browsing for something to watch. I think a lot of us were excited about the FCS deal, not just because that meant we personally got to watch games from our living room on TV, but because of the exposure opportunities for the program in general. I guess that's another frustrating part of this deal and, from the outside looking in, it makes it appear like UND is regressing, not progressing. But like you said, I don't have all the details. Just one fan's impression.

This pretty much echoes my thoughts on this whole subject. Personally, the TV deal doesn't affect me all that much as I attend most of the home games. It's the loss of exposure both nationally, and apparently regionally as well that rubs me the wrong way.

Not true. As stated before, the NCHC deal with CBSSN prohibits UND from broadcasting any game on a national basis unless it is on CBSSSN.

Ughh........

Sorry, but that truly is awful.

I would like thank you though, Jayson, for taking the time to answer all these questions. I've been one of the ones that has been pretty vocal about my disgust with this whole situation, so I'd guess I'm one who's pretty high on your irritant list. But I appreciate you going out of your way clarify things for us. Even though I haven't liked much of what you've had to say! ;)

This pretty much echoes my thoughts on this whole subject. Personally, the TV deal doesn't affect me all that much as I attend most of the home games. It's the loss of exposure both nationally, and apparently regionally as well that rubs me the wrong way.

Ughh........

Sorry, but that truly is awful.

I would like thank you though, Jayson, for taking the time to answer all these questions. I've been one of the ones that has been pretty vocal about my disgust with this whole situation, so I'd guess I'm one who's pretty high on your irritant list. But I appreciate you going out of your way clarify things for us. Even though I haven't liked much of what you've had to say! ;)

Not an irritant at all. We do understand the frustration and we're all just trying to make the best of a different situation.

I would hope everyone keeps this in mind with regard to this (or any) situation: you aren't privy to all of the information behind the scenes. This is why I plead for patience. We ARE going to explore all options for regaining our national television exposure. We ARE going to do everything we can to offer high-quality webcasts. Some of the things we are doing can be discussed publicly, but many of them cannot, and I hope everyone understands this.

I've now worked for seven (full time or interim) athletics directors in my 18 years at UND. So I believe I've been through and seen enough to tell you that your current athletics director is an outstanding one. He has put together an administration that a) is highly competent and b) does, in fact, care about the needs and wants of the fans. So, please, I urge you to let this play out. In the end, we may not get you everything you want, but we'll do our damndest to get you everything you need.

I've now worked for seven athletics directors in my 18 years at UND. So I believe I've been through and seen enough to tell you that your current athletics director is an outstanding one. He has put together an administration that a) is highly competent and b) does, in fact, care about the needs and wants of the fans. So, please, I urge you to let this play out. In the end, we may not get you everything you want, but we'll do our damndest to get you everything you need.

Got us into a dream FCS conference and created a new hockey conference with very high quality programs. He's done some pretty big things. Yes, we won't be in the same conference as the gophers and badgers anymore, but that wasn't due to anybody at UND. I believe Faison has done very well playing with the cards he's been dealt.

• Upvote 2

Not an irritant at all. We do understand the frustration and we're all just trying to make the best of a different situation.

I would hope everyone keeps this in mind with regard to this (or any) situation: you aren't privy to all of the information behind the scenes. This is why I plead for patience. We ARE going to explore all options for regaining our national television exposure. We ARE going to do everything we can to offer high-quality webcasts. Some of the things we are doing can be discussed publicly, but many of them cannot, and I hope everyone understands this.

I've now worked for seven (full time or interim) athletics directors in my 18 years at UND. So I believe I've been through and seen enough to tell you that your current athletics director is an outstanding one. He has put together an administration that a) is highly competent and b) does, in fact, care about the needs and wants of the fans. So, please, I urge you to let this play out. In the end, we may not get you everything you want, but we'll do our damndest to get you everything you need.

What do you think we need?

I asked Matt Schill, who oversees all of our multimedia efforts, to give me a nuts-and-bolts response to those of you who are concerned about the quality of our webcasts going forward. Here is what he put together:

We currently stream at a 640x360 pixels with a constant video bit rate of 800 kbps. Meaning if your connection is less than 800 (or you’re using wireless, or have multiple browser windows open using bandwidth), the stream will not be constant. The help desk and the FAQ on our site offers tips to improve the broadcast if you are having trouble: http://www.undsports.com//CreateTicket.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=13500

With an HD stream, we’d upload at 1280x720 with a variable 3,000 kbps bit rate. Meaning that stream will adjust to your connection speed. Higher end internet connections can watch in the full HD, or if you’re stuck in a hotel with poor wireless, the stream will optimize for you.

Fans got a taste of it a future UND video portal with the volleyball team played at Texas A&M (http://www.aggieathletics.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=27300)

Regarding servers, UND’s video and website partner is Neulion, which operates the NHL Game Center, NFL, NBA and many other groups and colleges including Nebraska, Oregon, Duke and North Dakota. Its servers can handle it.

I haven’t heard a ton of negative feedback this year. Neulion handles most of it, but it definitely seems less than previous years. We also aren’t streaming a majority of our sports anymore. Maybe the negative commenters figured it out or stopped trying.

I also can’t speak to “it’s only UND that has problems.” If they have specific examples, we can dig into what happened or is happening. Otherwise the help desk (http://www.undsports.com//CreateTicket.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=13500) is the best source. And in many cases, even though a person doesn't want to hear that it must be on their end, it usually is.

Matt

To say thay we as fans have " it too good for too long" has got to be one of the most idiotic and just un-intellectual, ignorant things I've ever heard.

The exposure and availability, grows the fan base , impassionates the fanbase, generates revenue, and in this day and age if people have to work to find you....well its just truth that not as many people are willing to work to find you.

And yes the national exposure is a must to stay relevent on the minds of the peripherals of the sports and even the college hockey world.

Look at twitter.....think a buccicross comments much on a webcast game that a smaller crowd is watching or the HD game on NBCSN?...... (just as an example, )

Is a national footprint a recruiting plus?......if it is then is a restrictive prohibitive regional and webcast footprint a recruiting liability?....

Jason,

I do appreciate your willingness to come on and give info. I dont like what you have had to say but i do repect that you are saying it and having the conversation.

I do hope that the next steps unseen by us are fothe onesr the much much better, but I always feel that the loudly proclaimed concerns are the ones that will be addressed. I wish I had a solution to my gripes but thats not my station in life so I will express my concern and yes, at times, disgust with what I see happening. At the same time I do recognize the positive changes,....

So thank you for listening and letting me, we, us bitch.

So let me ask you this

cbssn doubleheader firday

miami vs boston

denver vs harvard

Und vs wisconsin wont be on tv? Correct?

No, not on TV. But as Jayson said, there will only be a a handful of doubleheader Fridays. If there are 5 doubleheader Fridays and UND is involved with 2 of them that leaves 3 Fridays out of the whole season that UND cannot broadcast on Midco. There's a good chance we'd be either on the road or on an off week for 2 of those Fridays so in all reality you're bitching about 1 game not being on TV. Is the sky really falling? Come on.

The other thing that gets me about this debate is that we have no idea how Midco is going to grow and expand in the future. We hitched our wagon to an up and coming network and became their flagship school. Sure they're not on CableOne in Fargo yet but that could easily change before next season. Also, who's to say Midco doesn't get picked up by DirecTV as part of their sports pack? If that happens we'd be back with our national footprint on top of the revenue being paid to us by Midco. It may be a long shot but it's certainly worth the gamble if it pays off, especially since FCS was pulling back their support of other sports and deciding only to pick up our hockey broadcasts.

Yeah im sure the causual fan is going to go on web cast and find und hockey

I bet buccigross will post in twitter about the und

webcast

Boycott cbsn

All hail faison

You're measuring the success of UND Athletics not by wins, championships, stable conference affiliation, a successfully completed DI transition, record-breaking GPAs, Olympic and professional athletes, an indoor practice facility, or record annual giving, but by whether or not John Buccigross re-tweets a UND hockey highlight?

• Upvote 4

Iwheres the indoor practice facility at if i may ask??

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205670698&SPID=6409&SPSID=58715

And yes, I can confirm that we have neither finalized the remaining funding, nor have we completed construction of the facility, in the 22 weeks since this landmark announcement was made.

No, not on TV. But as Jayson said, there will only be a a handful of doubleheader Fridays. If there are 5 doubleheader Fridays and UND is involved with 2 of them that leaves 3 Fridays out of the whole season that UND cannot broadcast on Midco. There's a good chance we'd be either on the road or on an off week for 2 of those Fridays so in all reality you're bitching about 1 game not being on TV. Is the sky really falling? Come on.

The other thing that gets me about this debate is that we have no idea how Midco is going to grow and expand in the future. We hitched our wagon to an up and coming network and became their flagship school. Sure they're not on CableOne in Fargo yet but that could easily change before next season. Also, who's to say Midco doesn't get picked up by DirecTV as part of their sports pack? If that happens we'd be back with our national footprint on top of the revenue being paid to us by Midco. It may be a long shot but it's certainly worth the gamble if it pays off, especially since FCS was pulling back their support of other sports and deciding only to pick up our hockey broadcasts.

I have no idea what the future holds for Midco, but they've certainly been rather aggressive to date, including accelerating the timeline for their HD conversion.

So im measuring sucess with an imaginary buidling that is on websites and press releases?

How many national titles have we won since 2001??? If thats how u want to measure sucess

I measure sucess by profit and rings on fingers

Hak and the boys always say its a business and business have to be profitable to survive. Only way to continue to be profitable is expand not contract..

We will have to agree to disagree.

Jayson - please excuse gfhockey. It appears that he somehow got out of his cage and found his way to a computer (or maybe a smart phone). He's not trying to act this way, it just comes naturally to him.

Thanks for coming on here and addressing our questions and concerns.

Or made it out of the bar. :)

You're measuring the success of UND Athletics not by wins, championships, stable conference affiliation, a successfully completed DI transition, record-breaking GPAs, Olympic and professional athletes, an indoor practice facility, or record annual giving, but by whether or not John Buccigross re-tweets a UND hockey highlight?

Jason that was clearly stated as nothing more than an example of the fringes and no that is not how we measure anything.

Christ in plain printed english it literally stated in the post.

Jason that was clearly stated as nothing more than an example of the fringes and no that is not how we measure anything.

Christ in plain printed english it literally stated in the post.

It was in reference to the last line of his post, in which he's pretty clearly making a judgement on an individual based on just one of many measures.

It's moot anyway, because I'm done feeding that particular troll unless he has something constructive to bring to the discussion like the rest of you have.

Let's get this thing back on track; hopefully that explanation from Matt Schill soothes some of the concerns about webcast quality going forward.

• Upvote 1

It was in reference to the last line of his post, in which he's pretty clearly making a judgement on an individual based on just one of many measures.

It's moot anyway, because I'm done feeding that particular troll unless he has something constructive to bring to the discussion like the rest of you have.

Let's get this thing back on track; hopefully that explanation from Matt Schill soothes some of the concerns about webcast quality going forward.

My bad I didnt se the gf hockey post.......

I retract my kneejerk critique. ...

Sorry bout that

I also can’t speak to “it’s only UND that has problems.” If they have specific examples, we can dig into what happened or is happening. Otherwise the help desk (http://www.undsports...DB_OEM_ID=13500) is the best source. And in many cases, even though a person doesn't want to hear that it must be on their end, it usually is.

Matt

I know this isn't really the place for this, but regarding my experience/complaints about UNDsports.com streaming service, I've gone throught the help desk, and been told the trouble is on my end.

The solution offered was to use Chrome instead of Internet Explorer. But that didn't help.

Now the reason I'm confident that my problem is not on my end, is because I have 3 different internet providers serving my home. It does not matter which one I use, UND's webstreams constantly buffer and pixelate. Then I can switch to any game on Big Sky TV and it works seamlessly. Very few times have I had trouble with Big Sky TV. But it's now gotten to the point where I haven't tried to watch UND Sports Extra for months now, because it takes me 50 minutes to get through the 25 minute show. I fear this is what I'd have to look forward to next season if I do stay home and want to watch a hockey game.