SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota @ UNO - indoor/outdoor

AZSIOUX

I saw a tweet earlier that said only around 10,000 tickets have been sold for the outdoor game. I belive the stadium seats 24,000. If the weather is nice maybe a lot of tickets will be sold the day of.

Not sure how many tickets have sold for the Friday game at CenturyLink, but Omaha trypically draws 6,000-8,000 for home games.

It looks like the majority of the club level and upper deck seats are sold but there are quite a few left in the lower level (expensive and poor sight line) and GA (outfield and long way from the ice).

Looking at the forcast, they are calling for rain now on Saturday Night and Sunday. So what is the backup plan for that? I know they had talked about playing Sunday. If its raining, then would they move the game to the indoor rink? What a logistical nightmare.

Not sure what forecast you are looking at, but the one I see is 50 degrees, mostly cloudy, with only a 20% chance of rain. If it is gonna rain Saturday and Sunday, they could pretty easily move the game indoors. I am sure they can switch from basketball to hockey pretty quick. Probably do it all the time. Hopefully that won't happen.

I am looking at the national weather service. And something of note for travelers, the national weather service just released a note on likely hood of a significant winter storm to the north of Omaha starting Sunday. Lets all hope that this game takes place on Sat as planned or there could be some travel nightmares.

I think this series has split written all over it. history says so. under hak's tenure und squads do not go on the road and sweep good teams. I can think of only two in his time here(minny '07 and cc in 2010). however, I can name a few more instances of being swept at home by good teams. und 5-4 friday and omaha 4-3 sat. with a side note of hoping for a split with cc and denver.

Prediction...if the temp is over 40, the ice will be sh*tty and definitely a factor...

Rain would be a bigger concern. The temperature is above 40 in the Ralph and they can normally keep pretty good ice. The people that set up the rink told the Omaha folks they could keep good ice up to about 70 degrees.

Rain would be a bigger concern. The temperature is above 40 in the Ralph and they can normally keep pretty good ice. The people that set up the rink told the Omaha folks they could keep good ice up to about 70 degrees.

Yeah, I'm not buying that one...sorry...

There has never been a perfect sheet of ice during any outdoor game. Just doesnt happen. Then add potential rain/slush and anything can happen.keep it simple I would assume. Hope they can get up early Friday night! I'm assuming these will be higher scoring compared to most series.

Humidity can be an important factor in the quality of ice. Both moisture in the air and rain will slow the ice down and not have a "Hard Ice". They may be able to keep ice at 70 degrees but it will be soft and slow. This is why arenas have dehumidification systems in them. Moist air and high humidity in an arena can be just as uncomfortable as cold weather.

The high that day in Omaha is supposed to be in the low 40's and probably will be colder than that when the second game starts. It is supposed to be cloudy so there shouldn't be to much ice melting. Chance of rain still pretty low, so I think the conditions are about as good as you can ask for. Hey Blackheart, You don't have to buy anything. these guy that put the ice in are the same guys who do the ice for the Winter Classic every year. When is the last time you heard about the Winter Classic ice being crappy? Its not going to be like the Hockey Day Minnesota day in Moorhead a couple years ago with puddles everywhere. Ice conditions won't be perfect, but they are not going to be terrible.

looking at the forecast if it starts raining on Saturday it looks like no way Sunday would be able to be played. No one has answered(who is in the know), what is the back up plan. Not like you can reschedule another weekend.

If it rains Saturday (chances are it will not) they will most likely play at the Century Link Center on Sunday. There is a Creighton basketball game Saturday night, but they can probably convert it over pretty quickly withing a couple hours. I am sure there is a contingency plan if the the weather makes it unable to play the game outdoors...even on Sunday.