SiouxSports.com Forum

Phoenix Coyotes Sale Falls Through

watchmaker49

For the hockey fans out there looks like the Coyotes will be moving. The deal that was worked out for the arena and the buyer expired at midnight last night. The new Glendale City Council does not like the deal that had been worked out and will not make such a good deal the next time. Without the deal there is no way anyone can make any money with this team. Less than 9000 fans have been showing up for games this year. After their long run last year in the playoffs the fans bolted on them already. Glendale never should have build the arena to start with. This makes the Alerus deal look good in comparison.

Should have been in Scottsdale and Scottsdale fd that up. I worked out at jobbing.com for a year and its just a tough sell to get fans out 41 nights a year or this seasons case 24 games. This isn't good for many reasons but one important one is continued growth of youth hockey in Arizona. It's legit now and producing some very good high level division 1 players! Just a hard sell being in Glendale, it's that simple. This has been a ugly mess since they arrived in Glendale. Total bummer as the coyotes are my favorite nhl team so guess its wait and see what happens now

The fans will be there if the playoffs come around again in a few months! Just how it works in Arizona. Hockey isnt even a top 5/6 options fpr sports fans in the desert. ASU and UofA trump the coyotes in the sports hierarchy and it will never change. If they could pick up the arena and move it to Scottsdale it would be done in a second. The attendance would be much better but sill never packed game to game

This really is too bad for the Glendale area. I have been to a few Coyotes games while I was visiting over the past few years and the area around the rink is nice. Nothing like having a drink sitting outside at a restaurant in 60-70 degree weather about 50 feet from your entrance. Pretty cool area around the arena.

what if...

the engelstad foundation buys the yotes and builds a 20k super-sized arena to the east of REA and moves the yotes to GF and renames them the Fighting Sioux...renovate the betty for the women's hockey team and you have four sheets of ice for three teams and games from october to ?

• Upvote 1

what if...

the engelstad foundation buys the yotes and builds a 20k super-sized arena to the east of REA and moves the yotes to GF and renames them the Fighting Sioux...renovate the betty for the women's hockey team and you have four sheets of ice for three teams and games from october to ?

Happy hour start a little early for ya today??!!!! :)

Should have been in Scottsdale and Scottsdale fd that up. I worked out at jobbing.com for a year and its just a tough sell to get fans out 41 nights a year or this seasons case 24 games. This isn't good for many reasons but one important one is continued growth of youth hockey in Arizona. It's legit now and producing some very good high level division 1 players! Just a hard sell being in Glendale, it's that simple. This has been a ugly mess since they arrived in Glendale. Total bummer as the coyotes are my favorite nhl team so guess its wait and see what happens now

The fans will be there if the playoffs come around again in a few months! Just how it works in Arizona. Hockey isnt even a top 5/6 options fpr sports fans in the desert. ASU and UofA trump the coyotes in the sports hierarchy and it will never change. If they could pick up the arena and move it to Scottsdale it would be done in a second. The attendance would be much better but sill never packed game to game

Glendale was a lousy location. From the east valley it takes an hour or more to get there. Worst part is it is during rush hour. Traffic is not bad until the Broadway curve but after that it sucks. A better location like you said would have been Scottsdale. Or more like the east side or west side of 101 and McKellips on the res. All that is there are fields of cotton or corn. Look how well the Salt River Fields have done as an example.

Wouldn't that be too much for too small a market? Quebec I think would be better.

far enough apart with an international border in between. might be a great location to help grow college hockey in the northwest. also heard that Markham, Ontario (Toronto suburb) is looking to build an NHL arena.

As much as it would sting being a coyotes fan I can see a successful market in Seattle! Then add the Sacramento Kings moving to Seattle and you have a big time sports city again. If not Seattle ( they then aquire tj oshie being from seattle) a Toronto2, Quebec, Minnesota North Stars or the NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING SIOUX :)