SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. UW

brianvf

Huge series for UND.

They are currently tied for 4th in the WCHA with UW and MSUM (Mavs have played two more games than both UW and UND though).

UW started slowly in the WCHA but has been much better as of late.

Hopefully the team that played Sat night vs SCSU shows up for both games against UW. If they can do that, I like our chances for 3-4 points against UW.

Huge series for UND.

They are currently tied for 4th in the WCHA with UW and MSUM (Mavs have played two more games than both UW and UND though).

UW started slowly in the WCHA but has been much better as of late.

Hopefully the team that played Sat night vs SCSU shows up for both games against UW. If they can do that, I like our chances for 3-4 points against UW.

The term is "having two games in hand."

3-3-2 in the 2nd half of this season...wouldn't call it a surge and 1-2-1 in last 4 league home games. We dropped to 10th in the Pairwise. WI is coming in playing their best hockey to date. We need wins. We need WCHA points and more than 2...that's the bottom line.

We'll see a similar type game plan from Bucky. Clog up lanes, take away space, pack it in and block shots in their own end.

Good goaltending from Rumpel, good d-corps.

Agree. Think the WCHA has figured out that with this UND team they can plug things up offensively for us and wait for their chances knowing we'll cough up some bad turnovers in our own end that will lead to quality scoring chances.

Agree. Think the WCHA has figured out that with this UND team they can plug things up offensively for us and wait for their chances knowing we'll cough up some bad turnovers in our own end that will lead to quality scoring chances.

Ohh yeah. Wait for your chance because this UND d corps will leave a guy wide open in front at some point in time.

I'd just like the first ten minutes to go by without being down 1-0.

What night does Tate start?!?! :) maybe it would wake a few guys up that could really need it.

4 of 12 points in the last 6 games. Ouch, pretty crappy stretch for the boys with the BADgers coming to town. Hope it gets turned around soon!

Well, I did a little research because I kept thinking that one of the second half surges was spurred on by a horrible weekend against SCSU near the end of January. And that got me thinking...for the most part, we consider 'second-half' to include anything after Christmas, but that doesn't necessarily correlate exactly with when the team has managed to pull it together.

05-06: The win streak started after a series against SCSU, played the last weekend of Jan

06-07: The win streak started after a series against CC, played the first weekend of Jan

07-08: The win streak started after a series against SCSU, played the first weekend of Jan

08-09: Except for the giant egg laid at the GLI, this team didn't lose a whole lot after November

09-10: The win streak started after a series against SCSU, played in early Feb

10-11: Again, a team that barely lost, so 'second-half surge' is highly relative

11-12: The win streak started as far back as the end of Nov, which is especially impressive given the short line-up

My point is, that a lot of the amazing win streaks have started around now, or even after another week or two. So just because they haven't pulled it together for a stretch run yet doesn't mean that they won't/can't. Also interesting of note, is how often SCSU has been a turning point.

• Upvote 1

Right now home ice is kind of a question mark with the amount of parity in the WCHA. 3 plus points are needed this weekend and splits on the road are a must.

I wouldn't even want to be that 5th or 6th place team, having to maybe play a Denver or a Duluth. Heck, there really isn't a layup playoff series this year with what Anchorage and Tech have shown at times.

Right now home ice is kind of a question mark with the amount of parity in the WCHA. 3 plus points are needed this weekend and splits on the road are a must.

I wouldn't even want to be that 5th or 6th place team, having to maybe play a Denver or a Duluth. Heck, there really isn't a layup playoff series this year with what Anchorage and Tech have shown at times.

Yes, and being that it is so close and the Sioux have so many ties and less wins, it becomes critical to be taking some of these series on teams we only play twice this year like Wisconsin, Omaha and Mankato to win any possible tie-breaking circumstances.

10-11: Again, a team that barely lost, so 'second-half surge' is highly relative

this team did go on a second half run. it started in late january on a saturday night in colorado springs versus cc. in the previous two weekends und split with the gophers and omaha and lost friday night at cc. the team won saturday night and didn't lose again until that fateful night in st. paul agianst michigan.

this team did go on a second half run. it started in late january on a saturday night in colorado springs versus cc. in the previous two weekends und split with the gophers and omaha and lost friday night at cc. the team won saturday night and didn't lose again until that fateful night in st. paul agianst michigan.

I was more referencing the fact that, prior to those three weekends of splits, that team had only lost 1 of their previous 14 games (dating back to mid-Nov). So it's not like they were in the skids prior to their 'second-half run' like most of the other teams were. That's why I said it was relative.

I was more referencing the fact that, prior to those three weekends of splits, that team had only lost 1 of their previous 14 games (dating back to mid-Nov). So it's not like they were in the skids prior to their 'second-half run' like most of the other teams were. That's why I said it was relative.

got ya, however if you were on ss.com after those two splits and loss to cc, it was no different than it has been the last few weeks on here.

this series has nailbiter written all over it. fri 2-1 take your pick and sat 1-1. we will continue to struggle to score as we can't seem to figure out how to play teams that clog up the middle. the book is out on us, clog up the middle and wait for a defensive lapse on our end is the recipe to defeat UND.

this series has nailbiter written all over it. fri 2-1 take your pick and sat 1-1. we will continue to struggle to score as we can't seem to figure out how to play teams that clog up the middle. the book is out on us, clog up the middle and wait for a defensive lapse on our end is the recipe to defeat UND.

Great... now everybody knows! ;) No offense, but isn't this like saying we need good goal tending and special teams play to be able to win? Something that everybody tries to do against every team that -if it works - will help you win? I'm not sayin'...I'm just sayin'.

I can see your points, and at the same time, I can see things changing as well. Sometimes scoring can be so hard, and other times the puck just goes in. I get the feeling it's going to start going in. They may trot out different lines on Friday and I'll be wrong again, but to me there are two scoring lines to work with now, and I'd ride those for a while. It doesn't really matter to me who populates lines three and four; there are about nine guys to pick from, they can all play, and they just need to play hard, not make dumb mistakes and stay out of the box.

I'm going to be a contrarian again and note that SC, a very good offensive team, didn't manage many good offensive chances on Saturday. Maybe it was just an off night for them, or perhaps it's possible that UND's defense isn't as terrible as I've heard lately, a hundred times, and all because of that darn Berry.

I've heard Hak say that he worries less about SOG and more about scoring chances. Unfortunately, that's not a stat that's tracked officially. Would be interesting to attend a scoring chance idendification seminar some day and learn a little more about what makes a Grade A or a Grade B chance.

Would be interested to compare those stats Friday over Saturday to see what that looks like, considering that SOG took about a 180 degree flip.