SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL 2013

jodcon

Anyone who defends Matt Cooke as much as you definitely has a different standard.

Or, DaveK really is just arguing the silly just to get a rise out of us? I wonder sometimes? No one could be that silly and argue that point, so hard sometimes.

My 'Slew-foot Sid" comment was meant sarcastically after I read about the "punk," "fraud," and "jackass" label applied to Claude Giroux. I posted three videos to show DaveK that #87 has had his own moments of not-so-Lady-Byng-like play on the ice and they were promptly met with 'move along...nothing to see here' comments in return.

And, no, I have never played hockey, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Haha, I like it.

I've been following hockey since the late '70s. The term "slew foot" has not been in the vocabulary of the announcers who have called the thousands of games that I have watched, so you are going to have to come up with something that actually matters. LMAO @ "slew foot". It is a completely insignificant non-factor, end of story. I could give a rats a$$ about "slew foot".

Haha, you are obviously not that big of a hockey fan nor have you played the game beyond termites if you have never heard of that term. Not only is it universally known but it is a 2 minute penalty. Since you are NOT very knowledgeable about the game (obviously).....try google before you post. This one gave me a nice laugh this afternoon.

• Upvote 1

I've been following hockey since the late '70s. The term "slew foot" has not been in the vocabulary of the announcers who have called the thousands of games that I have watched, so you are going to have to come up with something that actually matters. LMAO @ "slew foot". It is a completely insignificant non-factor, end of story. I could give a rats a$$ about "slew foot".

Sweeney used the term quite a few times during broadcasts, it's not that rare.

Here is the entry from the NHL Rule Book:

Rule 52 – Slew-footing

52.1 Slew-footing - Slew-footing is the act of a player using his leg or foot

to knock or kick an opponent’s feet from under him, or pushes an

opponent’s upper body backward with an arm or elbow, and at the

same time with a forward motion of his leg, knocks or kicks the

opponent’s feet from under him, causing him to fall violently to the ice.

52.2 Match Penalty - Any player who is guilty of slew-footing shall be

assessed a match penalty.

52.3 Fines and Suspensions - There are no specified fines or

suspensions for slew-footing, however, supplementary discipline can

be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28).

Dave I think they consider it an excessive, dangerous form of tripping. If they do call a slew-foot it is a match penalty, but I bet more times than not players only get called for tripping because it usually happens away from the play and the refs don't see it that well.

Here's the video put out by the league on it...

Obviously it is a form of tripping. I was being a wisea$$ when I asked why it isn't on that list of referee signals. But seriously, it is obscure and not talked about as a serious problem in the game the way people talk about boarding and fighting. I was just poking fun of the attempt to make a case against a particular player based solely on a few examples of a single obscure term.

Fair enough...sometimes it's hard to tell with you how much is real and how much is screwing around.

Obviously it is a form of tripping. I was being a wisea$$ when I asked why it isn't on that list of referee signals. But seriously, it is obscure and not talked about as a serious problem in the game the way people talk about boarding and fighting. I was just poking fun of the attempt to make a case against a particular player based solely on a few examples of a single obscure term.

For a self proclaimed expert like yourself, it should be a fairly common term...maybe u r not as well versed as you think u r...hmmmm

Never played the game, never claimed to have played the game. Have been watching it since I was about 8 years old (I am now 43). It is an extremely obscure term. Fighting and boarding are serious problems in hockey that are talked about constantly. "Slew footing"... not so much. Normal hockey people have much more important things to be concerned about. So tell me, if "slew footing" is a penalty why is it not listed here:

Referee%20Signals%20from%20Hockey%20101.jpg

Well, that's interesting, DaveK...I don't see 'diving' on the list of penalties either. I guess that's an 'obscure term' that really is a minor problem in today's NHL...or is it?

I especially love this one...Sidney felled by a sniper bullet tapped by Kirk Maltby...

Diving, while rarely called and not a major issue in today's NHL...

Really? It seems most NHL coaches and office people would disagree with you...for continually bringing up your years of experience in watching hockey and the wealth of knowledge you have about the game...it's apparently not enough...

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=640294

http://sportsillustr...toronto-agenda/

http://nhl.si.com/20...iving-campaign/

I watched the clips. I already know the answer is no, but I just wanted you to say it. I enjoy having fun with people that way. :p

Just like I know you smile seeing Sidney flopping around like a soccer player while drawing a penalty on Mike Richards...all part of the game in your eyes.

Interesting counterpoint, MafiaMan, and somewhat well-played I must admit. Diving, while rarely called and not a major issue in today's NHL, is actually a fairly commonly referenced term. Much more commonly referenced than "slew footing". I will leave you with nothing more than a simple yes or no question as a reply to your two clips...

Was Sid penalized for diving on either one of those two plays?

Wrong....slew-footing is equally as common as diving, from a 'term' perspective. Also, you noted fighting and whatever else needed to be out of the game. Slew-footing is also extremely dangerous, equally (if note more) dangerous than fighting.

I see Greene was listed as benched for a few games, then not on the list. I read somewhere last night that he is sidelined for an upper body injury? Any info on that?

Correct - Greene did not play. I'm not 100% sure why, but I guess he's on IR for a bit. Frattin had a great game - 1G and 1A. Was very fun to watch.

Okay, let me be more specific... (from my perspective as a fan) diving is not a major issue in today's NHL. In spite of the fact that Adam McQuaid of the Bruins did it (and got away with it) to draw a penalty against Matt Cooke last spring in the playoffs, I personally just don't think it is anywhere near as serious as fighting or boarding. That is merely my opinion, nothing more and nothing less. Has nothing to do with my knowledge of the game one way or the other, it is a matter of perspective.

You do realize Dave that all of these cheap shots that you consider minor.....if they were eliminated from the game completely and didn't take place, there would be no fighting in hockey.

Okay, let me be more specific... (from my perspective as a fan) diving is not a major issue in today's NHL. In spite of the fact that Adam McQuaid of the Bruins did it (and got away with it) to draw a penalty against Matt Cooke last spring in the playoffs, I personally just don't think it is anywhere near as serious as fighting or boarding. That is merely my opinion, nothing more and nothing less. Has nothing to do with my LACK OF knowledge of the game one way or the other, it is a matter of perspective.

fixed your post. :)

I highly doubt that is the case. I think that a much more likely explanation is that European players have more self-control of their emotions and a better sense of understanding that sometimes stuff happens in the heat of battle.

European players are more highly evolved than those born on the North American continent? I am dying to read your basis for this theory!

There is no fighting in European hockey. Does that mean they have completely eliminated from the game all of those incidents that are considered cheap shots by you and many others? ???

I highly doubt that is the case. I think that a much more likely explanation is that European players have more self-control of their emotions and a better sense of understanding that sometimes stuff happens in the heat of battle.

You have no understanding of the cause/effect relationship outlined by Redneksioux. Cheap shots are the cause, fights are the effect. Eliminating cheap shots would eliminate fighting, not the other way around as you're suggesting. In fact, the European league example you cite would serve to prove the point everyone else is making - that a league without fighting still has players that take runs at defenseless opponents.

That doesn't answer my question. Why don't they fight as a reaction to that style of play in Europe the way they do in Canada and here in the states?

Gee...probably because they get ejected for it... not because they're superior humans.

The question of "Why don't they fight as a reaction to that style of play in Europe the way they do in Canada and here in the states?" was not in your original response. You basically said yourself that the lack of fighting in Europe hasn't eliminated the cheap shots:

There is no fighting in European hockey. Does that mean they have completely eliminated from the game all of those incidents that are considered cheap shots by you and many others? ???

Gee...probably because they get ejected for it... not because they're superior humans.

The question of "Why don't they fight as a reaction to that style of play in Europe the way they do in Canada and here in the states?" was not in your original response. You basically said yourself that the lack of fighting in Europe hasn't eliminated the cheap shots:

Hey, don't use Dave's own words against him...it only serves to confuse him more...:)