SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL 2013

jodcon

Man, this is great! And I can absolutely see Greene doing this! From an article on George Parros and fighting in hockey (link below - and it's a good article).

He embraces the cartoonish aspect of his job. A few years ago, Greene, one of his best friends, checked one of Parros' teammates too hard. Parros got in Greene's face. "We're having a talk right now!" he said. "You know that we're having a talk right now!"

"Oh, we're having a talk?" Greene said.

"Yeah, you better make it look like we're having a talk!" Parros said as the crowd stirred. "'Cause we're having a talk! And I'm gonna slash ya!"

So Parros slashed Greene. Gloves dropped. Parros decked Greene in front of the bench. That night, they downed beers as disbelieving fans looked on. "They think it's fake," Greene says. "'Oh, you're probably pulling punches.' No. We're trying to knock each other out."

Fighting the goon fight

• Upvote 1

Tonight's Boston v Pittsburgh game can only be described as vicious. So much intent to injure. Both sides.

Starting with the biggest goon on the ice, Chara, less than a miniute in, and continuing.

Shawn Thornton should be getting about 10 games for pounding Orpik's head into the ice.

And James Neal should get about 4 for kneeing with intent to injure.

There may be more, but wow. Just wow.

The fireworks on this board the next few days should be interesting.

Wrong! Within the context of the game applies only when the puck is in play and the clock is running. That was not the case when Thornton made the savage blindside attack on Orpik.

Still trying to understand the DaveK rules of hockey. That helped a bit

HaHa - DaveK - you're amusing. So some Facebook posters don't like Boston? Wow, what a shock! I can't believe it.

Shawn Thornton knows what he did was wrong. And he knows he's going to get suspended for it. No question about it, he's an enforcer, but I've never seen him doing anything like this. He doesn't have a history of going over the lines - he has never been suspended before. This was uncharacteristic of him and he'll be punished for it.

That being said (and I am not in any way defending what Thornton did or saying that was OK) - Orpik thought it would be OK to hammer Louie Ericksson and I've watched that replay 100 times and I don't ever see a time that Ericksson had the puck. After the John Scott illegal hit on Ericksson which concussed him and had him out for a period of time, Orpik knows what's coming and doesn't answer the bell. Please don't take my comments as me thinking it was OK or defending what Thornton did, because that is not the case. If Orpik doesn't want to answer, I guess he doesn't have to and that doesn't give Thornton the license to do what he did.

Let's also not forget James Neal's knee to Marchand's head which helped to escalate the situation - which he'll get a suspension for as well. I suppose your reply to that is that it happened between the whistles so they can do whatever they want and whatever happens, happens - hey, guys will get injured in the game of hockey, right?

Hey, at least the Pens got em where it counts...on the scoreboar.....errr.......wait......the Bruins won the game as well.

• Upvote 2

And now Thornton just assaulted Orpik. Further proof that Thornton is a POS and the Bruins are a dirty team. If Orpik turns out to be injured as badly as it looks, Thornton should be suspended indefinitely. There is no excuse for his actions. This is the kind of stuff that results from the vigilante tactics that Goon loves so much. SICKENING!!!

Hey Genius, I covered this subject on the Blog last night. Oh by the way, Neil's going to be looking at a suspension for kneeing Brad Marchand in the head as well.

HaHa - DaveK - you're amusing. So some Facebook posters don't like Boston? Wow, what a shock! I can't believe it.

Shawn Thornton knows what he did was wrong. And he knows he's going to get suspended for it. No question about it, he's an enforcer, but I've never seen him doing anything like this. He doesn't have a history of going over the lines - he has never been suspended before. This was uncharacteristic of him and he'll be punished for it.

That being said (and I am not in any way defending what Thornton did or saying that was OK) - Orpik thought it would be OK to hammer Louie Ericksson and I've watched that replay 100 times and I don't ever see a time that Ericksson had the puck. After the John Scott illegal hit on Ericksson which concussed him and had him out for a period of time, Orpik knows what's coming and doesn't answer the bell. Please don't take my comments as me thinking it was OK or defending what Thornton did, because that is not the case. If Orpik doesn't want to answer, I guess he doesn't have to and that doesn't give Thornton the license to do what he did.

Let's also not forget James Neal's knee to Marchand's head which helped to escalate the situation - which he'll get a suspension for as well. I suppose your reply to that is that it happened between the whistles so they can do whatever they want and whatever happens, happens - hey, guys will get injured in the game of hockey, right?

Hey, at least the Pens got em where it counts...on the scoreboar.....errr.......wait......the Bruins won the game as well.

That's right, Thornton owned up for what he did. Orpik went after a player with his head down that had prior concussion issues. If you look at the video the puck is no where near Eriksson. The refs blew it by not giving Orpik a penalty as well. Then when Orpik was challenged to a fight, wouldn't' fight. Thornton screwed up by attacking him. Thornton admitted that he screwed up after the fact. Shawn has never been suspended. I predict that Thornton will probably get a 10-game suspension for that.

Edited by Goon

I have read some interesting comments tonight on a Facebook thread about Thornton's assault on Orpik:

https://www.facebook...32078764&type=1

Ed Mardt Thornton should face a life time suspension

Joyce Jacobs Thomas Got that right. Thornton should be out for the rest of the year!!! What a cheap shot!!

Jeff Cotterman Thorton is just a gutless piece of trash

Cecil Dir Wasn't a sucker punch of cheap shot. Orpik new he was gunning for him. He was in Orpiks face trying to get him to go twice prior to the incident. Instead orpik thought he could get out of it by ignoring it. Big mistake.

Robert Klaes Does not give him the right to do what he did Cecil he didn't have to prove anything IT WAS A CLEAN HIT

Don Enscoe The Bruins are nothing but GUTLESS THUGS AND CRIMINALS

Brian Esing Im calling for league wide action against Thornton, he should be out for a long long time, and if not? Then players need to TAKE HIM OUT.

Rich Kenzie Bruins fans are proud - trust me.

Mass. Hysteria All you pathetic Pens fans turn a blind eye to the cheap shots by your own players but cry when something happens to your guy. If Orpik had the balls to drop the gloves, it never would have come to that.

Eamon Orr Right, when someone won't fight you just assault them. That might be how you classless douchebags play the game but that's not how it goes here. Keep it trashy you pos filth!

Emile Longo Thornton = bertuzzi...,

Kenny Conklin thorton should be thrown out of nhl

Beverly Finn Call the cops like the canadien fans did-or-man up and dont turtle-thats a punk!!

Robert Klaes Beverly he did not have to answer for anything IT WAS A CLEAN HIT STFU

Admir DeMondo all the bruins are thugs one of the most hated teams ever.

Shawn-Alicia Ulrich Suspension should be in line with Bertuzzi and McSorley, 20 games plus. What is worse is Boston commentators trying to justify it because of Orpik's clean hit, saying he should of fought 4 minute a night idiot Thorton. Way to stay classy Boston, embarrassing to your whole organization!

David Holt Brendan Shanahan should drop the bomb on him. He skated up, knocked Brooks off his skates from behind then punched him twice while he was on his back on the ice. This isnt MMA, one of the most shameful things I have ever seen in the NHL. Thorton should be gone for the season if not for life. Unacceptable.

Don Gosnell After making a clean hit on ericsson...orpik was taken down from the side and then cheapshotted by a no talent goon.i say a season long suspension..play was whistled over

Richard McNeil Wardrop Thornton should go to jail for assault.

Raymond Lee Boston use to be a good team. Now all they have are a bunch of thugs!! Thornton assaulted Brooks Orpik, and it was premeditated, since he was going after him, and Brooks didn't buy into it. Thornton should be banned from the league, and Boston should have to lose a draft pick. Maybe it will teach the coach to have a better handle on his team. Boston Wrong!!!!!!

David Baker Just a plain brutal assult. Thornton should be banned for life.

Jack France Hockey has brutal elements. Hard hits during the course of play happen, some are clean yet others have some degree of being a cheap shot.

However, when play has suspended and a goon pre-meditatively initiates a surprise attack from behind, pulling an unsuspecting player down from behind and pummels him when he is defenseless is an entirely different matter.

Shawn Thornton's action deserves a suspension for the rest of the year at the very least, but more appropriately a lifetime banning from organized hockey.

Adam Cole Boston announcers blamed orpik and neal for what happened. Unprofessional and disgusting.

Nico Guthrie Anyone who says brooks hit was dirty doesn't know what they are talking about, clean hit and just because the guy had his head down and it was hard doesn't make it dirty

Ashley Worster I'm a bruins fan and I like that Thorty stands up for the family but the way he went about it knowing Orpik didn't want to fight, I absolutely hate. Marchand irritates me most of the time too. But that hit to the head on Eriksson... Not right. The knee to the head... Not right. The refs letting it get this out of hand... Not right. And of course what Thornton did was not right... Hopefully everyone learns a little something from this. Well wishes Orpik.

Terry Wygant you might want to watch orpiks hit on erickson again he doesnt hit his head he hits him in the chest/shoulders and erickson. The only time erickson's head is hit is when he land and it makes contact with the ice it was a clear hit. The ref was looking right at it the whole time had it been a shot to the head he would of called it.

Karnage G This has nothing to do with Neal. Orpik was jumped because of a clean hit which injured Loui(se) Eriksson.

Michael Poznick And they think Cooke was a dirty player... Shawn Thornton is a thug...

Nathan Paul Venesky Matt cooke now has a target whenever boston meets the wild.

Get em cookie

Del Kreiser The worst example of POOR SPORTSMANSHIP I have seen in many years. Matt Cook was suspended for much less than this. Thorton should be suspended for the remainder of the year and let him join the UFC where he can fight the way he wants.

Charles Leyrer Thornton is a dirtbag. brooks hit Ericsson was clean and Thornton throws a couple cheapshots at orpik and puts him in the hospital. He should be kicked out of the league

Sean Dyne Thornton would be alot better off in the MMA......that is not hockey.

Tom Miller The Boston Thugs...and their announcer had the guts to call Matt Cooke an assassin during last year's playoffs. The Bruins take more dirty cheap shots that any team that I know.

Kendall Rankin Thornton should be suspended for the season, and if the Boston Police Dept had any guts, they would arrest Thornton for Assault.

J.b. Domenick Go ahead and celebrate you classless bruins fans.

Raptor Francis thank you butt hurt Pens fan see ya in the Play offs for another 4 games ??:

Alex Tauberg Why thank you raptor we would love to return the favor this year

Carl Swan Typical bruins hockey (players) and their low life fans.

Paul Hebert Neal was called for a penalty, it's how he ended up in the penalty box and scoring the goal when he was released. Boston is a dirty team and if you don't play dirty against them then you will have a tough time beating them.

Gary Snyder There is no place for it in hockey... Chara's hit on I think it was Pacioritty, now this.. And I thought Philly was dirty!

Andrya Smith Thornton should be kicked out of the game forever.

Patricia von Arnswaldt Hockey does not need a GOON like Thornton!

Joe Martinez Thornton should be banned from the NHL period. That was uncalled for.

Nick Peralta Bruins are fllled with goons, Thorton, Lucic, Marchand, Horton (when he was on the Bruins).

Alex Tauberg dont forget their captain

Nick Peralta Screw it lets just go with the whole team lol

Allen Baker well in all fairness no one ever accused the bruins of having class.

Ninha Maia Wicks boston is dirty not tough!

Ray Leacock This all wreaks of Bertuzzi - Moore incident.

Yvon Deneault Is anyone really suprised about the conduct of the Bruins,they're a team of goons.

Bill Rodgers Thorton should be throw out of the League and the coach (who sent him) suspended for the season. The NHL has to stop goonery

So, are these fake friends or just some random fans from facebook?

Orpik's hit on Erikkson was clean. Erikkson needs to keep his head up. Neal's knee to Marchand's head may have been intentional, but there is also a very good chance that it was inadvertent. Neal was skating up ice while Marchand fell down right in front of him. No way to really prove intent beyond a shadow of a doubt, but due to the sensitivity regarding blows to the head I won't complain if he gets suspended for a couple of games. Still though, what Thornton did last night is typical of Boston hockey and that sickening "Big Bad Bruins label" that they so love to throw around. It is a great example of why I detest that organization so much. I've been saying for years that Thornton is a (to borrow Goon's favorite term) gutless puke. Last night he proved me right. I would love to see him banned for life.

Orpiks hit on Eriksson was not clean, the puck was no where near him. Whether you want to admit it or not, James Neal is going to get suspended for that Bush League move. That was a dirty knee to the head, even the coach of the Pens said it was unnecessary.

Edited by Goon

Goon: The Neal knee was pretty dirty and his 5 games are fair, to me (although biased as I have him on my fantasy team :)). However, I want to see you post a similar banter article about Thornton's cheap shot. He's going to get at least 15-20 games.

I am a fan of neither team however I like certain players on both teams however you and DaveK have the same arguements only you root for different teams. Dave, Matt Cooke is a dirt ball. Goon, Thornton is a dirtball. End of story. :)

Goon: The Neal knee was pretty dirty and his 5 games are fair, to me (although biased as I have him on my fantasy team :)). However, I want to see you post a similar banter article about Thornton's cheap shot. He's going to get at least 15-20 games.

I am a fan of neither team however I like certain players on both teams however you and DaveK have the same arguements only you root for different teams. Dave, Matt Cooke is a dirt ball. Goon, Thornton is a dirtball. End of story. :)

Pretty sure that I didn't defend the Thornton hit. I even blogged about it. I read that Thornton worked out with Orpik in the off-season.

Edited by Goon

I respectfully disagree. At the risk of repeating myself, I do not condone what Thornton did and I believe that he deserves to have a pretty hefty suspension for it.

However, if we look at these 2 guy's history Cooke has been suspended many times for a variety of acts. My quick count shows that he's been suspended at least 9 different times for well over 35 NHL games. He ended Marc Savard's career with a hit that the league ended up having to change, modify, add to the rule book because of.

Before this incident, Shawn Thornton had been suspended by the league exactly 0 times for a total of 0 NHL games. This was out of character for him and he'll pay for it. I think I'm fairly safe in saying that this won't happen again with Thornton.

I know I won't change DaveK's (or anyone else's) opinion and so be it...that's not what I'm trying to do. You don't have to like Thornton, but to say he's a dirtball is pretty misguided. He's an enforcer, but he can also play the game. Simply put - there is a long history with a guy like Cooke. This is a one time deal over an 11 year NHL career with Thornton.

I respectfully disagree. At the risk of repeating myself, I do not condone what Thornton did and I believe that he deserves to have a pretty hefty suspension for it.

However, if we look at these 2 guy's history Cooke has been suspended many times for a variety of acts. My quick count shows that he's been suspended at least 9 different times for well over 35 NHL games. He ended Marc Savard's career with a hit that the league ended up having to change, modify, add to the rule book because of.

Before this incident, Shawn Thornton had been suspended by the league exactly 0 times for a total of 0 NHL games. This was out of character for him and he'll pay for it. I think I'm fairly safe in saying that this won't happen again with Thornton.

I know I won't change DaveK's (or anyone else's) opinion and so be it...that's not what I'm trying to do. You don't have to like Thornton, but to say he's a dirtball is pretty misguided. He's an enforcer, but he can also play the game. Simply put - there is a long history with a guy like Cooke. This is a one time deal over an 11 year NHL career with Thornton.

I know Cooke is a bigger dirtball, my point wasn't to note who was the bigger dirtball. You are correct, Thorts was a legit enforcer who typically was clean. However just because you weren't a dirtball before doesn't mean you aren't a dirtball now. In the one act he is now a dirtball to me. I was watching that game and I honestly though Orpik was going to have lasting damage (I guess he's OK). What Thornton did was no different than what Bertuzzi did, only there was a different outcome on this one (luckily). Orpik clearly said he did not want to fight and Thornton jumped him and could have ended his career.

WIth the Bertuzzi hearing around the corner I'm guessing this suspension could be a biggie.

• Upvote 2

Orpik hit on Eriksson was 100% clean.

No player expects to get hit like that when the puck isn't anywhere near him, and hasn't been anywhere near him. Players need to keep their head up when they are carrying or attempting to catch a pass, but there was no reason for this hit other than being a blatant cheap shot. Since it was between the whistles, it was, however, within your context of the game. With that standard, big players who like to hit should run around taking shots at opponents away from the puck. They won't be expecting to get hit, and you can drill him big time like you otherwise cannot. Malone's is not comparable, the puck was there or had just left.

BTW, I'm not a Bruins fan.

And I'd guess no one here, and certainly no one I know, understands the game the way you see it.

• Upvote 1

What do you mean the puck wasn't anywhere near him? That is a blatantly false statement. Watch it again:

http://www.thepensbl...i-eriksson.html

Don't care one way or another, but I see a guy leaving his feet and targeting the head, at least from that angle. And while the puck may have been near him, I don't know if he ever saw it coming and he for sure never had control of it.

Amusing things about the article you posted:

-Slew footing is mentioned

-The writer also says that Neal's knee was dirty and he deserved more than 5 games and "he clearly intedned to injure Marchand and that he has a history of this type of thing. Five games wouldn't be enough"

-The writer says the puck wasn't there

Seems to me you are trying to cherry pick from the article to prove you point while skipping over the parts that are inconvenient for your arguments.