SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL 2013

jodcon

Fighting, not hitting within the context of the game, is what I have a problem with.

So, elbowing an unexpecting playing in the face is within the context of the game? Wow! Clueless...

Edited by Goon

The guy was out of line to pick a fight with Lucic (or anybody else for that matter) but Lucic made a fool of himself by playing the "Do you know who I am?" card. That, not the fact that some random idiot tried to pick a fight with him, is what makes him and the Bruins organization look bad.

When did Luc say that? Nothing I have seen/heard has him saying that? I am super blown away Luc didn't knock the guy out cold…..not many people would have that kind of restraint. I get the Bruins have a decent amount of trashy hockey players but your arguments make you sound like a troll than any sort of advocate for anything.

When did Luc say that? Nothing I have seen/heard has him saying that? I am super blown away Luc didn't knock the guy out cold…..not many people would have that kind of restraint. I get the Bruins have a decent amount of trashy hockey players but your arguments make you sound like a troll than any sort of advocate for anything.

I believe he was reading the comments by readers at the end of the article and taking the opinions of the people he hand selected and tried stating them as truth. It's just Dave being Dave.

Shocked Tom Wilson didn't get suspended....I saw the hit on Schenn live and it was pretty scary. I didn't listen to Shanny's explanation but it must have had something to do with Schenn flipping at the last second. Either way though, that was a dangerous "bording" hit that does not need to be part of our game. He should have at least been fined, or a game. I do get confused as Schenn ended up OK, he did flip late and T. Wilson did get called for boarding (I believe). Anyone else see the hit? Pretty scary but not super dirty.

Shocked Tom Wilson didn't get suspended....I saw the hit on Schenn live and it was pretty scary. I didn't listed to Shanny's explanation but it must have had something to do with Schenn flipping at the last second. Either way though, that was a dangerous "bording" hit that does not need to be part of our game. He should have been fined at least been fined, or a game. I do get confused as Schenn ended up OK, he did flip late and T. Wilson did get called for boarding (I believe). Anyone else see the hit? Pretty scary but not super dirty.

I suppose it was in the context of the game. :) But I agree, needs to not be part of the game.

If it happened when the puck was in play and clock was running, then yes by definition it was in fact within the context of the game. You of all people have no room to call anybody clueless, as I find you to be about as clueless as they come.

He who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw stones.

I didn't listen to Shanny's explanation but it must have had something to do with Schenn flipping at the last second. Either way though, that was a dangerous "bording" hit that does not need to be part of our game. He should have at least been fined, or a game. I do get confused as Schenn ended up OK, he did flip late and T. Wilson did get called for boarding (I believe).

The call was charging (and an ejection for misconduct). Good call, IMHO. Having just seen the play once on TV, I too was surprised at the lack of additional suspension, but Shanahan's explanation made it pretty clear why it's not boarding:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=515461

The NHL rule on Boarding includes the important disclaimer you alluded to:

There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees. The onus is on the player applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a defenseless position and if so, he must avoid or minimize the contact. However, in determining wheter such contact could have been avoided, the circumstances of the check, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the check or whether the check was unavoidable can be considered. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule.

(emphasis mine)

If you're facing the play but then turn away with the purpose of avoiding a hit, but then get hit into the boards from the side/behind, it is by definition not boarding.

Still, scary hit that should be eliminated by rule to the maximum extent possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Because it was in the context of the game? :)

I don't get the logic. Maybe I need to use enhanced methods to get the logic. Dave is offended when two willing combatants beat the tar out of each other on the ice. However, isn't offended when someone conducts a bush-league and dangerous hit, or leg checks... Or smokes his opponent from behind, head first into the boards. You see, it's all in the context of the game. So, let the rats run wild, it's all in the context of the game. Each day it seems like we get another player that chopped into the boards. CONTEXT OF THE GAME!!! Right? I think that someone will be killed and or maimed on the ice by a dirty hit, that was in the "context of the game", before someone is killed by a hockey fight.

Here is the difference....

Within the context of the game, the intent is to make a hockey play. :

I like to know when boarding someone through the boards with the intent to hurt them is considered a hockey play. That's silly, or purposely targeting the head of an opponent to knock them out of the game is considered within the context of the game and a hockey play. That's also silliness.

You love to say how much you're concerned with blows to the head, but then you contradict yourself by expressing the fetish that you have for fighting. You may not have ever thought of this before, but when hockey players fight the head is the primary target for their fists. I guess shots to the head are only worth whining about when they occur within the context of the hockey game. When they occur within the context of the sideshow it apparently gives you that warm tingly feeling inside. I guess that makes you a hypocrite... crusade against violence in hockey (except for when said violence is in the form of fighting).

I like how you said you proved me wrong. You've proved nothing. But you still haven't answered the premise of my argument. You excuse plays from dirty players that you say are in the context of the game. So ramming someone's head first into the boards is in the context of the game. Two guys dropping the gloves is not. Someone kneeing the opposition is in the context of the game, fighting after said dirty play is not.

Where to begin? (facepalm)...

1. You lick the boots of that senile old fool Don Cherry.

2. That blog is not written by Adam Proteau, it is written by Paul Busch.

3. The FACTS (not opinions) given in the link clearly illustrate that fighting increases dirty play. It does not decrease it, as your ludicrous theory implies.

Now please wipe the egg off your face, you look so foolish.

You can facepalm yourself genius. You remind me of a 13-year old girl that has a burr in her ass because she didn't get invited to the cool kid's birthday party. I said you lick the boots of Adam Proteau, I know who's blog that is and who it's written for. Try to keep up please.

Just because you cite an article that promotes your agenda doesn't make it facts, this is nothing more than spin from the Anti-Fighting Cabal, these people have an agenda they want fighting gone from the NHL. Of course they're going to post facts or something that they push as fact that supports their argument. Again, they have an agenda that is anti-fighting. I could care less about Paul Busch's blog. I know that the players have said through their union, they don't want the anti-Fighting stance. Even Zach Parise has said he's not anti-fighting, players police the game. I am going to take his word over Paul Busch's.

“I just think guys would start to take liberties if there wasn't fighting. A lot of times it keeps everything in check,” said Minnesota Wild forward Zach Parise. ... A lot of times you need to have guys on the team that are out there to end ... part of the game, and I hope it doesn't get to the point where it's taken out.

If he doesn't like fighting he should go watch figure skating. It's part of the game... You cherry pick points as if they were fact that promote your argument.

Edited by Goon

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24402461/half-of-nhl-teams-play-to-100-percent-capacity-twice-as-many-as-nba

Interesting article about half of NHL teams playing in front of sold out crowds.....twice as many ad NBA.

I find it funny how some people on here (typically ndsu crowd) say that NHL is a fringe sport. Discuss.

• Upvote 3

http://www.cbssports...-as-many-as-nba

Interesting article about half of NHL teams playing in front of sold out crowds.....twice as many ad NBA.

I find it funny how some people on here (typically ndsu crowd) say that NHL is a fringe sport. Discuss.

Since when do we actually listen to our brothers at Cow Pie U when it comes to hockey? :)

Edited by Goon
  • Upvote 1