SiouxSports.com Forum

Winter Storm Gandolf

darell1976

I hope everyone plans accordingly this weekend as a major storm is about to rear its ugly head starting tonight and lasting until Saturday. Here in Fargo we are under a Freezing Rain Advisory for tonight into tomorrow then it changes into a Winter Storm Watch. There is nothing worse in a winter storm than to have ice covered roads and power lines. I just hope its not April 1997 all over again. That was the worst ice storm I have ever experienced. Stay safe everyone!!!

Well, it is pretty much raining off and on along the I-94 corridor in Minnesota. Roads should be icy in the next few hours. It looks like the rain will let up later tonight (before midnight) and the snow will hold off until late Friday afternoon. So there is a window of opportunity on Friday to get to Grand Forks, but do it carefully and wisely.

Very icy roads in the region. Many schools on the North Dakota side of the river have cancelled school for the day because of the icy roads and the storm moving in this afternoon. Many schools on the Minnesota side are running 2 hours late because of icy roads.

GFAFB is closing at noon...EGF schools are closed all day, but GF schools stay open. What?!? There are rural kids that go to GF schools, from Manvel, the Base and outside the city but yet GF stays open. It puzzled me when they did that when I went to school up there and puzzles me today. Here in Fargo the storm isn't supposed to hit til after 4 so at least the kids will be home from school before the storm hits.

I can tell you that it's an ice skating rink in town right now. It's nasty... No snow yet though. I told my daughter we could skate to school this morning and she asked me if she needed to put her skates on... I laughed and said no.

GFAFB is closing at noon...EGF schools are closed all day, but GF schools stay open. What?!? There are rural kids that go to GF schools, from Manvel, the Base and outside the city but yet GF stays open. It puzzled me when they did that when I went to school up there and puzzles me today. Here in Fargo the storm isn't supposed to hit til after 4 so at least the kids will be home from school before the storm hits.

We've wondered the same about Crookston everyone around Crookston closes. Also CC flew into Fargo yesterday leaving Sunday will probably be an issue.

That brings back memories, growing up in rural ND there were quite a few days that the 'country kids' got to leave school early on storm days, and the town kids would be mad because they had to stay. They didn't realize that we would have gladly traded staying at school another 10 hours a year rather than having to ride the bus 2 hours a day. They never did anything after we left anyway, you can't teach half a class.

The Weather Channel has a reporter in front of the REA reporting on the storm. And she said fans are flocking to the Ralph for the hockey game.

That was Janell Klein. She used to be a reporter on WDAZ. I believe she's in the cities now and that The Weather Channel just "contracts out" for services for lack of a better term.