SiouxSports.com Forum

Winter Storm Gandolf

darell1976

GFAFB is closing at noon...EGF schools are closed all day, but GF schools stay open. What?!? There are rural kids that go to GF schools, from Manvel, the Base and outside the city but yet GF stays open. It puzzled me when they did that when I went to school up there and puzzles me today. Here in Fargo the storm isn't supposed to hit til after 4 so at least the kids will be home from school before the storm hits.

EGF runs own busses. GF doesn't have bussing to worry about so they stay open. EGF was originally 2 hours late, but I'm guessing the bussing situation wasn't good so they cancelled.

Do schools lose their per pupil funding or does the state allow some storm days? I think you lose it, because a couple years ago EGF had to make up a storm day.

EGF runs own busses. GF doesn't have bussing to worry about so they stay open. EGF was originally 2 hours late, but I'm guessing the bussing situation wasn't good so they cancelled.

Do schools lose their per pupil funding or does the state allow some storm days? I think you lose it, because a couple years ago EGF had to make up a storm day.

It seems like if they keep the kids until a certain time, or they have the town kids only attend it counts as a day, if they cancel a day you have to make it up on a Saturday or lose a different scheduled day off.

That's the way it seems to have worked in the past anyway.

ND has 2 days in March or April usually around Good Friday designated as storm days.

It seems like if they keep the kids until a certain time, or they have the town kids only attend it counts as a day, if they cancel a day you have to make it up on a Saturday or lose a different scheduled day off.

That's the way it seems to have worked in the past anyway.

You are basically correct. They get credit for a full or part day of school by having a specific percentage of students in class (I don't know if that is 50% or higher). Grand Forks can have the required number by having in town students show up even if none of the rural students make it to class. I know that 1:30 used to be the cut off to get credit for a full day, if they started on time. They are required by the state to have a specific number of days of class. Each school district has storm days put in their schedule, usually 2 or 3. If they don't use them during the winter they normally add them to the Easter break. If they use more than the allotted number of storm days they usually have to add days on Saturdays or at the end of the school year. That has happened a few times. The Governor has the ability to forgive days, and has done so during years with a lot of major storms.