SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney

AZSIOUX

BINGO! And I'd bet that's the same reason others here are in an uproar about Phil Housley...because their favorite player on their favorite college team got scolded like a naughty 5th grader and benched because of it. Nobody here has any idea what transpired on the bench or in the locker room during this tournament that caused Housley to make the decision he did. I have no doubt he did what he felt was in the best interest of Team USA and not any particular college or individual.

And I'll go further and give him credit for making that tough decision. How many times is a first line player demoted to zero ice time?

I kind of questioned Mario Lucia being demoted as well, but I'm not going to question personnel moves anymore.

• Upvote 1

Indeed I do LOL. You're familiar with the SiouxSports.com-sponsored Bloomington Kennedy Hockey Mites team from a few years ago? I practically wave at Doug Woog on a daily basis here. :lol:

Yeah! Awesome. Rock on. You always have come across as a big UND fan, so just wondering your background...and thought we needed to inject a little love back in this thread. It was getting testy.

• Upvote 1

BINGO! And I'd bet that's the same reason others here are in an uproar about Phil Housley...because their favorite player on their favorite college team got scolded like a naughty 5th grader and benched because of it. Nobody here has any idea what transpired on the bench or in the locker room during this tournament that caused Housley to make the decision he did. I have no doubt he did what he felt was in the best interest of Team USA and not any particular college or individual.

troll

Yeah! Awesome. Rock on. You always have come across as a big UND fan, so just wondering your background...and thought we needed to inject a little love back in this thread. It was getting testy.

Yeah, I think we should all just enjoy the success of Team USA and talk about the gold medal game on Saturday morning. Is anyone dragging their butt up to watch it live?

20 years in Minneapolis/St Paul and I would still cheer for the 1980 Soviets over any Minnesota Gopher hockey team.

My god don cherry just went on another 8 tweet rant..I'm so glad he's a Canadian hockey guy!

@CoachsCornerCBC: Just listening to the sports experts on radio and tv talking about our Canadian defeat. Saying we must give credit to the coaches and their

@CoachsCornerCBC: development in foreign lands. Check out the stars on the foreign teams where the majority of them played and where they got their

@CoachsCornerCBC: development and what coaches are coaching them in their development. You’ll find that it was Canadians in Junior Hockey.

@CoachsCornerCBC: I still say the Canadian Hockey League should be for Canadians either that or change the name. Some Canadian guy spends thousands on

@CoachsCornerCBC: sticks, travel, equipment, pays his taxes and his kid is cut from the CHL for some kid who’s father never contributed a cent to Canada.

@CoachsCornerCBC: I know alot of people don’t agree with me and I look bad saying stuff like this.But I’ve gone a long time without worrying what people say.

@CoachsCornerCBC: I know we lost. I am not a gracious guy. Lets see how many guys from the tournament make the NHL. You’ll find Canada will be number one.

@CoachsCornerCBC: Hey maybe I am a spoiled sport. But that’s the way I am and feel. Lots of people agree with me but when asked say the safe thing.

@CoachsCornerCBC: I don’t blame them. As my mother used to say, if you don’t like my gate, don’t swing on it.

My god don cherry just went on another 8 tweet rant..I'm so glad he's a Canadian hockey guy!

@CoachsCornerCBC: Just listening to the sports experts on radio and tv talking about our Canadian defeat. Saying we must give credit to the coaches and their

@CoachsCornerCBC: development in foreign lands. Check out the stars on the foreign teams where the majority of them played and where they got their

@CoachsCornerCBC: development and what coaches are coaching them in their development. You’ll find that it was Canadians in Junior Hockey.

@CoachsCornerCBC: I still say the Canadian Hockey League should be for Canadians either that or change the name. Some Canadian guy spends thousands on

@CoachsCornerCBC: sticks, travel, equipment, pays his taxes and his kid is cut from the CHL for some kid who’s father never contributed a cent to Canada.

@CoachsCornerCBC: I know alot of people don’t agree with me and I look bad saying stuff like this.But I’ve gone a long time without worrying what people say.

@CoachsCornerCBC: I know we lost. I am not a gracious guy. Lets see how many guys from the tournament make the NHL. You’ll find Canada will be number one.

@CoachsCornerCBC: Hey maybe I am a spoiled sport. But that’s the way I am and feel. Lots of people agree with me but when asked say the safe thing.

@CoachsCornerCBC: I don’t blame them. As my mother used to say, if you don’t like my gate, don’t swing on it.

Thats ok Donnie, the U.S. is here for you, just keep tweeting....let it out....let it out

I do suppose we should really reserve judgement until the tourney is over. It's not like we we had our doors blown off by Canada and Russia.

Good stuff! Maybe this Phil Housley character isn't such a bad coach after all.

Pretty sure I was serious when I posted this. Judge the whole body of work and don't get caught up in the highs and lows.

I wonder if USA Hockey has considered having a "full time" coach for this team. It seems to me that it would help provide some continuity from tourney to tourney - especially when it comes to building the team. Having a HS coach like Housley in this role probably makes a lot more sense than a college coach who likely has much more on his plate during the season.

Pretty sure I was serious when I posted this. Judge the whole body of work and don't get caught up in the highs and lows.

I wonder if USA Hockey has considered having a "full time" coach for this team. It seems to me that it would help provide some continuity from tourney to tourney - especially when it comes to building the team. Having a HS coach like Housley in this role probably makes a lot more sense than a college coach who likely has much more on his plate during the season.

I think they used to have a full time coach....Jeff Jackson i think it was.

I think they used to have a full time coach....Jeff Jackson i think it was.

wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Jackson_(ice_hockey_b._1955)

Man, I love seeing Don Cherry's panties in a bunch. I agree with Wilbur - keep the CHL to Canadians only and let the US kids and foreigners play US College Hockey. When Cherry says that these kids were developed in the CHL, I wonder if he's aware that they're anywhere from 17-20 years old and have only played in the CHL for 1 or 2 years, max. I suppose the coaching that they've had in those 1 or 2 years far outweigh the previous 15 years that they've been playing hockey, since it was in Canada, you know! :lol:

Watched again for these dangerous passes and can't find them. The two that Hradek rips on are good high perentage attempts in the US offensive end (both in the first period), one that, if Biggs had any hockey sense at all, would have jumped into the open area in front of the net and the pass would have created a great scoring chance and probably a goal, and the second, a backhand pass attempt to a dman jumping down from the blue line that clipped a Canadian skate and deflected away. Neither created a Canadian chance the other way, but could easily have created another US goal.

And Rocco was great in the third period, especially when Canada was pressuring and controlling the play against the other 2 lines. On the first shift for that line during that Canadian domination, the line kept the puck in the Canadian end for the entire shift, and Rocco made two super passes from the boards, one to Trocheck, one to the the US dman on that side of the ice, resulting in two great scoring chances.

Once Hradek started his Rocco bashing in the first period, when after that there was plenty good to say about is efforts, Hradek said nothing, instead apparently looking for the next "hope" pass, which never came from Rocco, but came dozens of times from other US and Canadian players over the course of the game. The play by play guy mentioned those and another couple great defensive plays he made, with no comment from Hradek.

To say this politely....then you weren't looking close enough. One drop pass, in the second or third I believe, led to Stome's breakaway and the other was a similar "no look" toss to the middle that Canada took the other way for a 2-1, that didn't materialize. Look, I'm a huge Rocco fan....but I can also constructively look at 2-3 instances where a poor choice was made. At the college leve, or below, you may get away with those....but at the professional level (or while playing a team as good as Canada) where players can get up and down the ice so fast...you can't be taking those risks. It's not a time to get on the highlight reel.

Never liked Don Cherry. I think he's an idiot and these rants prove it. I don't think many would argue that in a few years Canada will have the most players in the NHL from this tournament but that doesn't neccessarily mean they had the best team. More often than not they have the most talent but that doesn't always equate to the best team and if anyone should know that it should be Cherry.

Bottom line is that Don Cherry can see that Canada isn't head and shoulders above the U.S. anymore and the results of all the Under 18 etc. teams bears that out. They will always be a player, but as the game has branched out in the U.S. you are having great players from unconventional states now, and I don't think it is going to get better for Canada. If you look at all the players in most Olympic sports, they all train at U.S. colleges, but I don't think the U.S. is looking to ban them from competition. If Canada wasn't losing its grip, he wouldn't be so frustrated.

To say this politely....then you weren't looking close enough. One drop pass, in the second or third I believe, led to Stome's breakaway and the other was a similar "no look" toss to the middle that Canada took the other way for a 2-1, that didn't materialize. Look, I'm a huge Rocco fan....but I can also constructively look at 2-3 instances where a poor choice was made. At the college leve, or below, you may get away with those....but at the professional level (or while playing a team as good as Canada) where players can get up and down the ice so fast...you can't be taking those risks. It's not a time to get on the highlight reel.

Seems to me like Canada made many more of those mistakes than the U.S., and guys that have been playing at the professional level at that. The NHL guys aren't immune from making those kinds of mistakes, otherwise Canada wouldn't have had it handed to them.