SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney

AZSIOUX

I'm picking up your sarcasm. Did Phil Housley run over your dog and drive off without stopping to see if it was ok or something? You sure have an aversion to a person who has represented the USA many times in his playing and coaching career...and done an outstanding job of being a fine representative for USA hockey.

Nice post.

All I was doing was pointing out that we are doing what people always do which is to give too much credit or blame to the coach. It's up to the players to play well and develop chemistry and make saves and score goals.

You're the one that came to rub it in people's faces and make idiotic jokes about dead dogs because Team USA is playing well, now. Real nice.

I already ate crow with hating on Phil. Done a good job. My question is, how many times has a high school coach been chosen to coach the u.s.?

Once again, nice job Phil.

I wasn't trying to call in particular out. Like I've said several times, I just don't quite get the venom against a coach who is seeking to improve on last year's 3-3 World Junior finish.

Nice post.

All I was doing was pointing out that we are doing what people always do which is to give too much credit or blame to the coach. It's up to the players to play well and develop chemistry and make saves and score goals.

You're the one that came to rub it in people's faces and make idiotic jokes about dead dogs because Team USA is playing well, now. Real nice.

I didn't rub comments in people's faces at all. You want to take pot shots at a guy who has done nothing but represent the USA with class and gamesmanship his entire career, you go right ahead. I'm glad people with common sense didn't push the panic button after one-goal losses to Russia and Canada.

I didn't rub comments in people's faces at all. You want to take pot shots at a guy who has done nothing but represent the USA with class and gamesmanship his entire career, you go right ahead. I'm glad people with common sense didn't push the panic button after one-goal losses to Russia and Canada.

What pot shots?

I've been taking pot shots at you, if anyone.

Jeez, I'm sorry I ever questioned any decision made by The Infallible One. Please forgive me.

What pot shots?

I've been taking pot shots at you, if anyone.

Jeez, I'm sorry I ever questioned any decision made by The Infallible One. Please forgive me.

The Scotty Bowman comment?

Feel free to take pot shots at me, I'm an easy target.

Did I say anything about Phil Housley being perfect? What's your deal, dude? Seriously.

Maybe you would have preferred a guy with a personality like John Tortorella as team USA's head coach? I get it...you hate Phil Housley.

I already ate crow with hating on Phil. Done a good job. My question is, how many times has a high school coach been chosen to coach the u.s.?

Once again, nice job Phil.

Yep... Dean Blais (1994) ....(International Falls) ....although he had been a college assistant before going back to coach Roseau. Lead team USA to a 1-5-1 record and a 6th place finish. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Blais

Must be your Phil Housley-colored glasses.

I'm just not ready to proclaim him a good coach and be so sure of it that I want to hit people over the head with it, like you.

The only way to get experience is to get experience. I commend a guy going to the powers-that-be in USA Hockey and saying "I want this job and here's why...". Hmnnn...sounds a lot like Herb Brooks in 1979, eh?

I haven't nominated Phil Housley to the coaching Hall of Fame just yet and I'm not hitting anybody over the head with the results of this tournament. However, if you'd like to hit me over the head, I'll gladly let you know where I sit at the Final Five and I'll see ya there. :)

Yep... Dean Blais (1994) ....(International Falls) ....although he had been a college assistant before going back to coach Roseau. Lead team USA to a 1-5-1 record and a 6th place finish. http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Dean_Blais

To be fair, the US talent pool in 1994 was a fraction of what it is today. Housley has a lot more talent to work with and it's taken a long time to get to this point. Let us please focus on that and not bicker about how Housley got this job. It's all about the results and he is getting them.

To be fair, the US talent pool was a fraction of what it is today back in 1994. Housley has a lot more talent to work with and it's taken a long time to get to this point. Let us please focus on that and not bicker about how Housley got this job. It's all about the results and he is getting them.

And to be fair, I'm glad that someone at USA Hockey didn't judge Dean Blais on the 1994 team's effort in the WJT and gave him another chance at it.

• Upvote 1

The only way to get experience is to get experience. I commend a guy going to the powers-that-be in USA Hockey and saying "I want this job and here's why...". Hmnnn...sounds a lot like Herb Brooks in 1979, eh?

I haven't nominated Phil Housley to the coaching Hall of Fame just yet and I'm not hitting anybody over the head with the results of this tournament. However, if you'd like to hit me over the head, I'll gladly let you know where I sit at the Final Five and I'll see ya there. :)

So if Tyler Palmiscno was named the head coach of the next World Juniors, you don't think there would be some questions asked? I have no problem with Housley, but still wonder what the process is for the hire. Like I said, it has worked out fine, but if High School coaches are in play, I nominate Bill Chase, after all, he coached Grant Potulny back in the day.

So if Tyler Palmiscno was named the head coach of the next World Juniors, you don't think there would be some questions asked? I have no problem with Housley, but still wonder what the process is for the hire. Like I said, it has worked out fine, but if High School coaches are in play, I nominate Bill Chase, after all, he coached Grant Potulny back in the day.

It is totally fair to ask what criteria USA Hockey uses to pick coaches for our national teams. But I also believe that giving an untested and unproven coach a chance to show us what he has is appropriate. I am sure USA Hockey did their homework on Housley and decided that his coaching style and philosophy were appropriate for coaching the IIHF U-20 team. If this was the Olympic team, that might require a different type of leadership. It all depends on the age, experience and maturity level of the players on the team. I think choosing a high school coach to coach high school-age kids has a certain logic to it and it certainly has worked out this year. But in a tournament like this, when you have to build a team out of a bunch of individuals in a very short period of time, it is a very inexact science. Blais won gold in 2010 and finished 7th in 2012. You just pick the best people available and/or interested and see what happens.

I, for one, am enjoying this tournament and the success that so many people have made possible with all their hard work over the years. Go USA!!!

To be fair, the US talent pool in 1994 was a fraction of what it is today. Housley has a lot more talent to work with and it's taken a long time to get to this point. Let us please focus on that and not bicker about how Housley got this job. It's all about the results and he is getting them.

Save the lecture for someone else....i havent had a problem with Housleys selection in the beginning, middle or end. wilbur asked if another hs coach had been picked to coach and i gave him one. Theres a huge difference between Housley and your typical hs coach. Most high school coaches didnt play 21 yrs in the NHL or have as much international experience both as a player and a coach as Phil does.

Has Tyler been an assistant in two previous World Junior Tournaments? It seems to me the issue for some folks here is apparently the result of a supposed anti-North Dakota conspiracy on the part of USA Hockey.

Is that it?

To be fair, the US talent pool in 1994 was a fraction of what it is today. Housley has a lot more talent to work with and it's taken a long time to get to this point.

True statement. This US group has won at every level since 16-17 years old in international competition. they should be playing for the gold medal.

Save the lecture for someone else....i havent had a problem with Housleys selection in the beginning, middle or end. wilbur asked if another hs coach had been picked to coach and i gave him one. Theres a huge difference between Housley and your typical hs coach. Most high school coaches didnt play 21 yrs in the NHL or have as much international experience both as a player and a coach as Phil does.

Amen. I know several high school coaches who themselves didn't make it past Bantams as players. That doesn't make them bad coaches.

I wasn't "lecturing" you or targeting you. I quoted you because you brought up Blais in 1994 and it inspired my comment to everyone that we shouldn't judge a coaching choice on such narrow and myopic criteria.

True statement. This US group has won at every level since 16-17 years old in international competition. they should be playing for the gold medal.

Really? Because everything I read going into this WJT said USA would be lucky to medal at all.

I agree with the whole he has talented players argument but at the same time he has found the right combos to get the job done.

A lot of my hate towards Phil stemmed from Rocco not playing a single minute in a blowout. But the team and Rocco rallied. I didn't agree with that move, but it proved to be the right one.

I'm on a message board, he is coaching team USA. Things are where they should be.

A lot of my hate towards Phil stemmed from Rocco not playing a single minute in a blowout. But the team and Rocco rallied. I didn't agree with that move, but it proved to be the right one.

BINGO! And I'd bet that's the same reason others here are in an uproar about Phil Housley...because their favorite player on their favorite college team got scolded like a naughty 5th grader and benched because of it. Nobody here has any idea what transpired on the bench or in the locker room during this tournament that caused Housley to make the decision he did. I have no doubt he did what he felt was in the best interest of Team USA and not any particular college or individual.

• Upvote 1